Yard crane gears

Andy W

Yard crane gears

Postby Andy W » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks to members' help I've sourced gears for the yard crane I hope build.

However, I'm confused by their layout. The handle seems to be this side but passes through the nearest gear. This appears to be too large to be the initial gearing as I thought the ratio would be small to large.

Perhaps this handle is simply a clutch/brake? There are a couple of gears on the far side lurking in the shadow, but how do they relate to the drive train and the hoisting barrel?

This might all be obvious to others, but the more I research the more confused I get! Does anyone have any reference/knowledge that could shed light of the set up of the gears on the other side of the vehicle?

Cheers,

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Jeremy Suter

Re: Yard crane gears

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:45 pm

However, I'm confused by their layout. The handle seems to be this side but passes through the nearest gear. This appears to be too large to be the initial gearing as I thought the ratio would be small to large.

Hi Andrew
The handle to wind the gear is on this side it winds the gear we can see from the centre, as the ratio Large first gear to Small second gear. Its like a bike large peddle gear to small on the wheel gear.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:15 pm

If you enlarge the picture, you can see a small gear on the same shaft as the handle. This meshes with the teeth on the large gearwheel. It looks as though you might have to turn the handle as many as 10 or 12 times to make the large gear turn once.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks chaps, that's all very helpful. The reason I had thought the gearing went small>large rather than bicycle style large>small was the examples such as:

Mark T 2.jpg

lnwrcs2124.jpg

blogentry-17779-0-64119900-1471042159_thumb.jpg

Apologies for any © infringements including to our own Mark T.

This is another example of one of those "quick" projects turning out to be not that quick after all!

However I will push on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Andy W”