A Brace of Jinty's

Serjt-Dave

A Brace of Jinty's

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi All. Just finished these two Jinty's. They are Bachmann models converted to P4, one by me and the other by the society. I used the Brassmasters detailing pack plus added a few details of my own.

Once new wheel sets were added, I also added lead dummy frames {idea from Keith N} and cutting in the lead frames for the Brassmasters replacement frame ends. Also replaced the rods and brake gear etc.

The bodies were disassembled and stripped. In the Brassmaster pack it says to replace the chimney! Why? But like a twat I did. Why? I replaced the rear cab window bars which you would have thought Brassmasters would have added these. I wish I had replaced the injector which looks a bit on the large size. I did replace most of the pipe work though. Once all the other bits and pieces {steps, cab dials, pipes} were replaced or tweaked off the the paint shop they went. Primed and then gloss black. Decals added and the a flat varnish applied. It then went tits up. Not noticing the the Precision varnish has it's own thinners I just used their normal paint one. Both bodies frosted over. Once dried I the finish was very powdery and using a fairly stiff brush managed to remove their frosted coats. I then airbrushed some dull black over the bodies again to weather and cover any remaining frosting, added shed plate and bunker plate and sealed with matt varnish {using the correct thinner} applied some weathering powders and varnished again. Finishing touches were added like the fire irons, lamps, hose pipe, coal and crew.

Overall I'm happy with them. They run well though the chips CV's need to be adjusted to make them behave more correctly. I don't think I will never again convert a Ready to Run loco again. For the effort in stripping, converting, rebuilding etc, it would have just as easy to make them from a kit. They will do for the moment, anyway here they are.

4A Jinty 75.jpg
3A Jinty 75.jpg
2A Jinty 96.jpg
1A Jinty 96.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re6/6

Re: A Brace of Jinty's

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 am

Excellent weathering Dave. Very convincing. :D
John

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am

I agree, convincing grime rather than the excess of degradation one sometimes sees. Pleasing details are the pet pipes (I've always had difficulty making them hang realistically over the sidesheet) and the tab catcher mounting. I think you were probably right to replace the Bachmann chimney, which to my eyes is not quite correct, but I think your replacement looks like one from Fowler times rather than the Stanier version which 47275 at least was carrying by 1960. I also think that the moulding for the ejector (not injector) is not only somewhat oversize but fails to capture the complexities in shape of the full size article. A pity the manufucturers didn't get it right, as this fitting is such a distinctive feature of LMS engines of this period.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks John and John.

You may be right about the chimney on 47275 {they both look the same to me. LOL.} The only way I can answer that is that I'm doing the period up to December 31st 1959.
The danggley pipes were made from some thin copper wire {0.3 I think}and then I took one strand of copper wire from a multi core flex and wound it round the other copper wire {like winding a spring}. I filed the ends to look like nozzles. I then just bent them to shape.
Agree the ejectors are orrible and I wish I replaced them. I may go back and do that at a later date.

Dave

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 am

Is there a kit for the ejector available?

Agree the character is well and truly caught :thumb

Steve

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks Steve. As far as I know there are just casting available from Gibson and London Road Models. This is the point I was trying to make. You can strip down and replace so many bits and pieces off a R-T-R model to make them better, so by the time you've done all that you could have built it from a kit.

I'm half through this process with a Bachmann 3 car Bullied set. Have changed so much and the replacement parts. Then you have to also be modiy them to fit the the original model. Oh the joys of it all.

Dave

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 am

The crew are also excellent. Are they from ModelU?
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Tim and thanks. Yes they are from the excellent range of figures from Modelu. If you look on my other Workbench thread you'll see them before they booked on for duty.

Dave

Return to “Serjt-Dave”