Scaleforum North 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
SteamAle

Re: Scaleforum North 2018

Postby SteamAle » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 pm

We came, we saw, we met lots of friends and a few new people, we talked and talked, we spent lots of money, we had a great time but it went so fast!
Congratulations to everybody involved in getting everything to come together and work. Just a pity we can't come back Sunday as well but family first. Was worth the seven hours of driving down and up the motorways.
Only thing left to do is put next years dates in my diary forward planner ready for when a new one comes along!
Happy modelling
Philip

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Another excellent show! Well done to the organisers and what a pleasure to see so many old friends and acquaintances.

Now to remember all the promises I made to send information, drawings or whatever to various people!

Cheers,

David C

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Another fantastic show. Definitely worth the effort to go both days.

Well done to all who organised it, helped and exhibited.

Really liked the two layouts still in progress. Quality of the layouts on show was very high. Pulborough a worthy winner though.

Came away with some bits I needed (though not all of what I needed due to limited funds) and the first item of stock for the Harton layout (Judith Edge harton no.2 kit).

Now for a roast dinner, plenty of rest and lots of attention from the dog.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

iak

Postby iak » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Excellent day and thoroughly enjoyable.
The venue works, smashing edibles and easy vibe - congratulations and thanks to the organisers :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Great show, as I came away with money :o , most unusual for a model railway event.

Phil.

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Phil O wrote:Great show, as I came away with money :o , most unusual for a model railway event.

Phil.

I came away with money as well. A pound coin.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 am

I came away with more money than I took, thanks to the efficiently run B&B, being busy helping out at LRM and not needing anything.

Excellent show, great atmosphere.

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:33 am

I'd like to add my own thanks to all involved in the organisation and helping out over the weekend.

I enjoyed my weekend very much - an excellent "do" all round.

Looking forward to 2019 already... Cheers, John

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm

All over for another year sadly. Being local it's one of the modelling highlights of the year. Two days of continuous pleasure. Many thanks to James and the team for another excellent show, must get a new layout started to get an invite for the future. Met so many old friends and acquiantances that for the first hour or more on Saturday I hardly moved around the hall, took me over an hour to get down to the bottom corner.

I bought a s/h OO loco from a friend very cheaply - but by the time I had visited the Alan Gibson and High Level stands so I could convert it to P4 it had grown in value considerably! Never mind, there's no pockets in shrouds.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Great show.... :thumb Thanks go to James and his great team. Came away with a Hawthorne Leslie 0-6-0ST from High Level, yes, a diversion from my usual 0-4-0's.... :o , a load of 16T mineral wagons, under frames, styrene and other stuff from Eileen's, spent all of my budget of £300 and well worth it. Good to meet old and new friends.........
Rob

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Well despite my previously mentioned anxieties I'd just like to mention that I and the rest of the operating crew on Boston Frodsham had a fabulous weekend at the show.
The layout performed really well and we were blown away by all the positive comments and feedback we received. Apologies if sometimes dealing with questions got in the way of the operating but there were obviously a lot of keen modelers in the audience.
I'm sure some people will have scurried quickly past when they saw we were running those awful diesel things but hey ho. On the other hand, although not my modeling period I was delighted to be able to see the likes of Pulborough, Kettlewell and Lee on the Solent in the flesh.
Thanks to Phil Sutton for the "loan" of one of his locos, they are certainly impressive models.
Finally thanks to James and the rest of the organizing crew for their hospitality. I know from helping to organize our club's relatively modest open days that a lot of time and effort is involved and we should be ever grateful to these folk for giving up their spare time so that we can further enjoy our hobby.

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Another excellent Scalefour North. All the layouts were interesting and repaid close observation. Unfortunately none of the traders I approached refused to take my money, however I managed to escape without adding another loco kit to the store cupboard (sorry London Road and Judith Edge), instead buying plenty of wagon springs, axle boxes, buffers and couplings. Came away with plenty of inspiration so I should soon get on with building. Keep up the good work Scalefour North team!
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:14 am

I had an excellent weekend at Wakefield. Fortunately we arrived after 11:00 on Saturday so contrived to miss witnessing the promised Dave Gower/John Palmer knee trembler.

I found the unusual mix of layouts very interesting; it was good to see old models like Pullborough and Lee-on-Solent again but I was very interested in the several layouts under construction ....the Boston team have done some superb detailing on the parts done so far. I was especially keen on Alan Goodwillie's demo of his new baseboard system including many well thought out innovations which have been written up here. Better to see them in the flesh.

Kettlewell is attractive and ran well although Saturday had one loco struggling against an intermittency while shunting, this was better on Sunday.

The demo by Howard Bolton of the new Society etched locking frame and MkII lever frame was very interesting but a bit intimidating as I have not overcome the black hole in my railway knowledge surrounding signalling. In particular I have not grasped how to translate a track plan and operational needs into a locking diagram. Howard pointed me at an IRS book which he reckons will help. I do need to get a grip on this and have read that problem solving is good for keeping brain cells going!

However after listening to Tim Venton for 20 mins training a new visiting Clutton signalman my brain hurt as much as when my 4 year old granddaughter chatters at me in Italian.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 am

Paul Townsend wrote:However after listening to Tim Venton for 20 mins training a new visiting Clutton signalman my brain hurt as much as when my 4 year old granddaughter chatters at me in Italian.

Martin was not used to EKT working, but picked it up very well, even crossing trains.

Set up Friday, trains were running without incident straight off on Saturday morning. Couple of minor electrical problems quickly sorted out. Even the shunting got better, once operator training had been covered.

Only two shows left now, before Clutton's retirement.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 am

Having just been waxing reet lyrical about the show on RMweb I thought a more prosaic version appropriate for these hallowed portals.

First and foremost, may I add my thanks to James and his team for assembling another cracking show. If anything went wrong I did not notice. Something that went very right was the catering and after what the A1 threw at me on my way to Wakefield the stew and dumplings was oh so welcome. I can make dumplings OK but not like those!

The selection of layouts and traders was as well balanced as it could possibly have been. I am no fan of pre-grouping layouts but those chosen were among the best. The aspect of the show with most value for me was the opportunity to have useful conversations with people who, possibly unlike me, know what they are talking about and I feel that some good will come of them.

I hope to be back next year.

Chris

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Paul Townsend wrote: Howard pointed me at an IRS book which he reckons will help. .

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for the kind words. I attach a copy of the order form from the IRSE website (it took some finding!). The publication I mentioned is British Railway Signalling Practice – Mechanical. The bad news it is 20 quid for non-members! But it is the authoritative source, and it covers all you need to know. Some of the electrical stuff reads a bit like Chinese, but you can safely ignore most of that!

~$blications Order Form_171023.doc

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:37 pm

JFS wrote:
Paul Townsend wrote: Howard pointed me at an IRS book which he reckons will help. .

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for the kind words. I attach a copy of the order form from the IRSE website (it took some finding!). The publication I mentioned is British Railway Signalling Practice – Mechanical. The bad news it is 20 quid for non-members! But it is the authoritative source, and it covers all you need to know. Some of the electrical stuff reads a bit like Chinese, but you can safely ignore most of that!

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

It might.
I had visited IRSE website and to look at Pubs cat they require registration which I have done but it takes 2 days for the process.
So a short circuit with Howard's link looked good but the .doc he gives opens as gibberish here ( Libre Office 6 )

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 pm

The problem, I think, is that the download is a compressed Word document, which the operating system doesn't recognise. Accessing it via the IRSE website will work, but only, of course, if you have MS Word on the machine you are using...
Regards
Noel

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Paul Townsend wrote:
JFS wrote:

Hello Paul,

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

It might.
I had visited IRSE website and to look at Pubs cat they require registration which I have done but it takes 2 days for the process.
So a short circuit with Howard's link looked good but the .doc he gives opens as gibberish here ( Libre Office 6 )

Taking time off from knee tremblers, I've managed to retrieve a copy of the IRSE's current publications list in what seems to be Word 97 format, and have attached it.
Publications Order Form_171023.doc

If that doesn't work, it can be downloaded as a zip file from http://www.irse.org/_layouts/OssSearchResults.aspx?k=publications.

On the same site, IRSE Proceedings from 1913 onwards are also available at http://www.irse.org/knowledge/publicirseproceedings/Forms/AllItems.aspx, and may be of interest.

Many thanks to the organisers for laying on another excellent Scalefour North, at which I thoroughly enjoyed myself as usual, and managed to come away without breaking the bank for a change. It's a bit invidious to single out any one layout for praise as there was so much good work on display, but I too was impressed by the work that's gone into Boston Frodsham so far, as I hope the attached detail shot shows.
029.JPG

My voyage back to Somerset proved to be a tedious five hour marathon enlivened by a diversion via Leicester, Hinckley and Nuneaton before regaining the Midland main line at Water Orton. A good thing I had anticipated a protracted journey by equipping myself with an elderly tome by Wee Norman, courtesy of the Bill Hudson emporium, in which I was able to engross myself from Birmingham onward.

Edited to add that the IRSE pubs list opens fine for me using OpenOffice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

John Palmer wrote:
It's a bit invidious to single out any one layout for praise as there was so much good work on display, but I too was impressed by the work that's gone into Boston Frodsham so far, as I hope the attached detail shot shows.
029.JPG

Many thanks for posting the photo John, glad you liked the layout.

I mentioned earlier that Phil Sutton "loaned" us one of his locos to run on Boston Frodsham at the weekend.
Well on Sunday afternoon Phil did a photo shoot and these are the result (admittedly with a bit of improvement from Photoshop).

SLW2.jpg

SLW1.jpg

Please note I do have Phil's approval to post these photos on the forum and the rule regarding mainline locos not being allowed to cross the bridge was relaxed for this special occasion!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm

John Palmer wrote:I too was impressed by the work that's gone into Boston Frodsham so far

And the good news is that Boston Frodsham has been booked to appear at Scaleforum 2019 so those who were unable to get to Wakefield will be able to see it then. It will also give Mike a target to aim for! :o

Terry Bendall

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Mike how close did you come to actually purchase the loco from Mr Sutton? :twisted: it really looks the part and from Mr Suttons locos I have seen locally they run beautifully! :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 pm

IMG_20180414_154043.jpg

My favourite.

Gordon A

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 am

Noel wrote:The problem, I think, is that the download is a compressed Word document, which the operating system doesn't recognise. Accessing it via the IRSE website will work, but only, of course, if you have MS Word on the machine you are using...

Here it is as a PDF for easy printing, no need for MS Word:

publications_order_form_171023.pdf

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks to Noel, John, Martin and other helpers who gave links to a readable IRSE pubs form.

Last night when SteamRaiser finished his inevitable drooling over the crane scene at Boston he showed me copies of the relevant books recommended by Howard. Ta to Gordon.

All I need do now is order them and my ignorance will be cured :geek:

Unusually for when I track down a book, no copies of Peter Kay reprints are listed on Amazon, Abe, Book depository or EBay so I have to fork out £23 for the official IRSE book:
British Railway Signalling Practice-Mechanical

Return to “Exhibitions”