Brettell Road - Shuffling and testing

Noel

Re: Brettell Road

Postby Noel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

jim s-w wrote:Which way do you think the ejectors point on a 94xx tank Noel?

If you mean the ejector exhaust, it goes up the chimney so far as I know, Jim. Cylinder drain cocks and regulator open would probably produce enough steam to blot out quite a bit of the picture, so the steam is presumably a minor leak from the drain cocks or a gland, which would, I think, follow a similar route to the smoke from the chimney, taking it upwards more than horizontally.
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 pm

as usual Noel I dunno i just looked at the prototype and copied what I saw. Its just a free app and a bit of fun.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 am

I think it is great fun as you say Jim.

You should be very proud of what you have produced. Brettell Rd looks fantastic. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
jim s-w wrote:It’s of adding effects to photographs

Very impressive. How about doing the same thing at an exhibition? :D :D :D

Terry Bendall

Surely rain at Aylesbury is YOUR responsibility?

Thank goodness Dartmouth is a long way away from Brettell Road

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 am

Le Corbusier wrote:I just thought it was good fun and took it as face value. If we are being literal you would need runnels of water running down the tank sides and dripping off the base ... and of course the grass should have droplets on the ends ... but I still like it :thumb

Me too, but those of us in the BS4 AG know that Noel's bars are set very high, and that is not just because he is a tall chap :D

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Noel wrote:
jim s-w wrote:Which way do you think the ejectors point on a 94xx tank Noel?

If you mean the ejector exhaust, it goes up the chimney so far as I know, Jim. Cylinder drain cocks and regulator open would probably produce enough steam to blot out quite a bit of the picture, so the steam is presumably a minor leak from the drain cocks or a gland, which would, I think, follow a similar route to the smoke from the chimney, taking it upwards more than horizontally.

And you forgot to mention steam from the leaking Safety Valves and Whistles! I'm shocked.

Troubled of Swindon.

Alan

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Ive been building 3 hoppers via 3 different routes. On the left a coke hopper from the old Three Aitch kit. I've already done one of these and this follows the same pattern of using Bill Bedford W irons.

In the center also a kit but a brass one from Dave Bradwell for the BR 13 ton hopper. A fun if not sometimes tricky kit to build.

On the right a mackerel ballast hopper converted from a Hornby trout, again with Bill Bedford w irons. I make no claims for the idea behind this as I first saw this on Kier Hardy's EM 70s website.
Jim Smith-Wright

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 am

Any chance of a photo of the underneath of the Trout conversion Jim?
I’m interested to see how easy it was to fit the BBS in. I assume you cut the central part out.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi David

I tend to just use the W iron bit on all the hoppers I’ve done with no middle. On the mackerel the mounts for the spring didn’t fit without weakening the chassis so I drilled holes for the springs in the original plastic chassis.

HTH

Jim
Last edited by jim s-w on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 pm

After Scaleforum i became aware that the vegetation on Brettell Road probably was a bit to green and lush for a late October setting. To remind you roughly what it looked like back then here are a few images from earlier in the layout build.
OK so it wasn't exactly late spring or anything but armed with some scenic sheets from Martin Welberg (https://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/) and some more muted static grass from WWS supplies (http://www.war-world.co.uk/) I set to work making it all look a bit more, well, dead!
As you can see I've made he disused line look a lot more overgrown. The eagle eyed will spot a bit of extra iron work supporting the wall. I always intended to add this from the early days of the layout.
I'm happier with it now.
Jim Smith-Wright

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi Jim,

That does look a whole lot more chilly now!

All the best,

Colin

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:14 pm

I've finished off the hoppers I was working on. Here's the coke hopper in the company of the previous one I had already done. As the older one is an LMS version I revisited the weathering to make it look a little more used.
The 13ton hopper
Mackerel with a gannet and herring.
A few I haven't mentioned before. The M. E. Evans one is a Bachmann collectors club model in memory of Merl Evans. I spent a very enjoyable day at Tysley with Merl surveying a couple of class 150's so this little wagon seemed a no brainer to me. Straight wheel and coupling swap with a bit of weathering. The ED wagon is a Powsides kit for one of the Earl of Dudley's fleet. Another no brainer. Whether either wagon would have lasted to the late 50's I dont know.
Jim Smith-Wright

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Stunning Photos Jim. I know its not the subject of your post but I am really enjoying the detail of the ballasting ... fantastic modelling. :thumb
Tim Lee

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks Tim

Although the factory was essentially finished for Scaleforum it lacked the clutter that gives it an 'in use' look. Unless the workers were meticulously tidy I suppose. So I have gone back to make a bit of a mess. The image above is the before shot...
...and the after.
I've added a wall and gate to the entrance. The old lorry was featured earlier.
The wooden boxes are from 4Ground models. I knocked up a rudimentary travelling crane from bits of brass and plastic. The discarded machine tools were 3 d prints and originally intended to go inside the building but I thought they were a bit too nice to hide away so I weathered them up an dumped them outside.
Another crane from bits of brass and some basic yard lights. Below are a few images of the factory at night. The yard lights do provide a bit more light to the centre of the layout.
Jim Smith-Wright

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Excellent modelling Jim, Very nice.

Al.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 am

+1.... :thumb

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Night lighting is looking brilliant. Wouldn't it be great (but impossible) to have working headlights on the truck! Then you could have an area lit up by a parked vehicle.

It looks just great.

Andrew

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 am

BrockleyAndrew wrote:Wouldn't it be great (but impossible) to have working headlights on the truck!

A very small LED on reduced power would probably fit or alternatively use fibre optic cable up through the baseboard. In this period however the driver would probably have turned the lights off when the vehicle is parked.

And yes it is brilliant model making. :thumb

Terry Bendall

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks all.

I did fit lights to the lorry that’s leaving but thought they were too bright. I kept the tail lights which are fibre optics fed from an LED under the baseboard (you can make them out in one of the pictures). I might revisit the headlights again but I’m wary that they wouldn’t have the same sort of effect that modern vehicle lights have

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Yes, sorry Jim, I had gone back to the photos and spotted the tail-lights. So it is possible and effective.

I take your point that headlamps would have been much less bright than nowadays.

I am still impressed with the way the setting - perhaps the exact opposite of a GWR summer setting? - feels very real.

Andrew

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:16 am

Don’t worry. The positioning of the farthest yard light does mask it somewhat. Something I’ve looked at (see the next post coming up later).

I don’t think I could actually do a ‘pretty’ layout to save my life! :D

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

seanmcs

Postby seanmcs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 am

Inspiring model indeed. I am puzzling how those lorries get in and out of there? Through the building door?

Best. Sean

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 am

Hi Sean

Through the gate. The building in the back scene is supposed to be on the other side of the road. I wonder if I can make it more obvious?

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 am

jim s-w wrote:Hi Sean
Through the gate. The building in the back scene is supposed to be on the other side of the road. I wonder if I can make it more obvious?
HTH
Jim

Difficult one that, if the lorry was not there, then maybe the road could be painted across the bottom of the backscene, but the lorry covers up the relevant area.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 am

Or model the gates almost shut with the driver's mate just starting to open them, so the view assumes the building over the road is further away than it actually is.

Either way it's looking great to my eye.

Chris

Return to “jim s-w”