High Level Gearbox range - improvements

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
High Level Kits

High Level Gearbox range - improvements

Postby High Level Kits » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

OMG! I've just noticed that smilies are available and so have used them to take the sting out of the technical stuff below... LOL

Anyone who’s bought a gearbox over the last 18 months :thumb will almost certainly have a new, modified version :shock: (Unless it was a SlimLiner or MicroMiser, which are unchanged).

A 23 tooth ‘hybrid’ gear (brass centre, nylon teeth) is now used at the axle :idea: and this allows a grubscrew fixing throughout the full range of boxes :P .

Previously, the Loctite fixing required on the axle gears :cry: was the most requested change for the gearboxes and, for many, a major influence in their choice of box :| . This new gear required a re-design of the boxes (although the range is basically the same :) ) and this included re-working the boxes, tightening up tolerances :o and taking care of sideplay within the units to make a more precise job :thumb . The 23 tooth (instead of 20) means the old ratios have increased by 12%, so 40:1 becomes 45:1, 54:1 is now 60:1 etc. :?

The instructions have all been redone in a more user-friendly format. Anyone needing info can, on request via e-mail, view any of the instructions in PDF form. :arrow: :thumb 8-)

steamraiser

Re: High Level Gearbox range - improvements

Postby steamraiser » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info Chris. :thumb

Gordon A
Bristol

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Somewhat curious to look at the gearbox I bought at Scaleforum now :)
Tim Lee

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 pm

If it was S4um 2017 it'll be one of the new ones.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:41 pm

High Level Kits wrote:If it was S4um 2017 it'll be one of the new ones.

Excellent :thumb
Tim Lee

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 am

Makes me regret my policy of laying in supplies ahead of need, while I have a bit of spare cash!
Now what to do with my older versions :cry:

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 am

Paul Townsend wrote:Makes me regret my policy of laying in supplies ahead of need, while I have a bit of spare cash!

Put them on ebay with the heading "This version no longer available". You will probably make a profit :thumb

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:
Paul Townsend wrote:Makes me regret my policy of laying in supplies ahead of need, while I have a bit of spare cash!

Put them on ebay with the heading "This version no longer available". You will probably make a profit :thumb

Naughty!

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 am

Paul,

what's naughty about being truthful?. If someone chooses to pay over the odds because they think they are getting something rare or a good deal, that is down to them.

An eBay "trader" told me that he relied on the ignorance or stupidity of buyers to pay more than the price of a newer version of the kits he was selling.

Caveat Emptor.

Jol

High Level Kits

J50 Chassis

Postby High Level Kits » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:26 pm

I’m designing a chassis to go under the Hornby J50 at the request of some P4 modellers. The brief is CSB suspension and removable wheelsets (in other words the springs) and the rest as per the usual High Level spec.

Because this kit is aimed at a much narrower market (two P4 modellers up to now!!!) it can designed with specific features in mind from the word go. Hornblock cut-outs, for example, can be ready done, saving a fair bit of work. Beams and compensation gubbins can be left out, as can the springs which are normally etched as part of the sideframes.

Up to now, I’ve drawn P4 parts only. I’ve ruled out the OO market altogether as the RTR model (so I’m told) runs fine and so can see no reason why anyone using 16.5 would want a chassis, but I’d be interested to know the views of EM modellers. Would you prefer to re-wheel the existing chassis, or build a new fully-spring one from a kit?...

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Sun May 20, 2018 11:38 am

I know this is a bit late coming, as I have only just read the postings about the old style of High Level gearboxes - of which I have some myself - but can't a brass 1/8" adaptor with a screw in the side be used - from Branchlines or whoever it was that supplied them?

Simply thread both on to a 1/8" aluminium axle jig and solder in place on the final drive gear - which is, as I recall is brass and wide - though a bit wider than most others.
So simply mount on the axle jig again and rub on a second cut file, then a smooth file, keeping the axle at 90 degrees to the file, and reduce the width of the gear. Or, better use a lathe if you have one, or a minidrill.

Mike

Return to “Product Information”