Where will this lead......

RobM

Re: Where will this lead......

Postby RobM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:25 am

....and so you should..... :thumb

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 pm

How did you assemble the wheel without distortion?

Gordon A

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:36 pm

steamraiser wrote:How did you assemble the wheel without distortion?

Gordon A

Gordon, I didn't..... :( .......quite a wobble but a lesson learned. As mentioned earlier the sheaves are in 6 pieces, building the 2 halves was fine and both being perfectly flat. The problem came when soldering the two halves together and I now realise my mistake. I will need to build a jig so I can clamp the two halves together ensuring that the spokes bend uniformly. Fortunately, I was supplied with a spare etch of sheaves which I was not charged for. The wobbly wheel may well end up on the up shaft. From a side view it looks fine, end on it is disguised with the the surrounding structure, so, all is not lost.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 am

A bit more progress. The spare sheaves I had were of a different size so could not use them. I un-soldered the wobbly sheave, re-soldered with the aid of a jig, much better but not perfect.
Anyone any thoughts on the cables?

headstock03.jpg

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:23 am

Would this be of any use?
http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/15.html

Some interesting brass fitting as well.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks for reminding me of that site, some interesting stuff on there.
The cable they supply is flexible, I need it to be rigid as if under tension. Straight brass wire is not long enough, The lengths I need are about 560 mm.
Rob

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm

As the cable ends will be out of sight, either in the winding house or the shaft you could actually put some tension on the wire. You could solder the wire into a tube, tap it, and use a nut to tension against a washer under the baseboard, or solder on hooks and use screw couplings (7mm scale would be less fiddly than 4mm)
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Excellent idea Jon..... :thumb
Thanks Rob

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:42 pm

If only my actual practice was as excellent as my ideas I would be making models like you do Rob.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:02 pm

RobM wrote:
steamraiser wrote:How did you assemble the wheel without distortion?

Gordon A

Gordon, I didn't..... :( .......quite a wobble but a lesson learned. As mentioned earlier the sheaves are in 6 pieces, building the 2 halves was fine and both being perfectly flat. The problem came when soldering the two halves together and I now realise my mistake. I will need to build a jig so I can clamp the two halves together ensuring that the spokes bend uniformly. Fortunately, I was supplied with a spare etch of sheaves which I was not charged for. The wobbly wheel may well end up on the up shaft. From a side view it looks fine, end on it is disguised with the the surrounding structure, so, all is not lost.
Rob

You can buy prints of headgear sheaves on Shapeways.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks Guy, but with all the heat still necessary to solder the sub assemblies together I wouldn't give much chance of their survival... ;)
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 am

Does it have to be metal? Polyester thread is stretchable. 100's of colours available too.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Rob,

I came across this and immediately thought of you ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36891793@N08/6892837141/in/photostream/

Tim
Last edited by Le Corbusier on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lee

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Rob,

Tim

Post corrected so the URL works. Underscore and colour blue do not a URL make. Sticking a [url] in front however...

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Will L wrote:
Post corrected so the URL works. Underscore and colour blue do not a URL make. Sticking a [url] in front however...

Never underestimate someones ability to be just plane thick :? Thanks Will :thumb
Tim Lee

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Does it have to be metal? Polyester thread is stretchable. 100's of colours available too.

Not necessarily, but preferred. Not had any experience of polyester thread, does it get a bit 'hairy' like other threads?
Le Corbusier wrote:Rob,

Tim

A very similar design to the one I'm building. Some other useful photos on that photo stream. Also thanks for reminding me of Flickr to research more photos.

Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Further progress.......I have finished decorating the downstairs and replacing the doors so time to move to the upstairs, 3 rooms to decorate and 5 doors to replace. At the moment I only get 2 hours a day at the workbench and am now finishing off the tower with the cross struts and plating, then it is to the steps which run from the base to the top.
Just for information, the top section is just dry assembled. The lifting gantry is a little twisted, I guess through all the heat applied but once permanently fixed the twist will disappear. It has been soldered, unsoldered, resoldered quite a few times. Initially I followed the drawings but then could not work out how that gantry would be able to lift a sheave clear so relied more on the photo. I live in an old mining village and we have the statutory sheave placed on a plinth. It is in 2 halves although in the next village it is in one piece but smaller.
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:39 pm

RobM wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote:Does it have to be metal? Polyester thread is stretchable. 100's of colours available too.

Not necessarily, but preferred. Not had any experience of polyester thread, does it get a bit 'hairy' like other threads?

Only if you soak it in spinach juice ;)

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:42 pm

I remember on one of the Cromford & High Peak layouts, was it Geraint Hughes' ? sorry can't now remember, which had a working incline, they used a fine stretched line that appeared to be metal-wound. It looked the part,

sorry to be vague!

Steve

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Rob,

The incline rope used on Middlepeak was fishing line, in this case a braided wire rope with a transparent plastic coating, which gave a good representation of the steel cable used on the real thing. Available in various sizes based on breaking strain from any shop that sells fishing tackle. It holds its shape well, although in final fitting it may need a small amount of tensioning to keep it absolutely straight.

Hope this helps,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:45 pm

steve howe wrote:I remember on one of the Cromford & High Peak layouts, was it Geraint Hughes' ? sorry can't now remember, which had a working incline, they used a fine stretched line that appeared to be metal-wound. It looked the part,
sorry to be vague!
Steve

:D

hughesp87 wrote:Rob,

The incline rope used on Middlepeak was fishing line, in this case a braided wire rope with a transparent plastic coating, which gave a good representation of the steel cable used on the real thing. Available in various sizes based on breaking strain from any shop that sells fishing tackle. It holds its shape well, although in final fitting it may need a small amount of tensioning to keep it absolutely straight.

Hope this helps,

Geraint

Thanks Geraint.

I now have a number of possibilities including EZ Line which Jim (s-w) informed me about. So when the time comes I'll experiment with the options.
Slowly this is developing into yet another layout......keep messing around with sketches and plans which are slowly coming together. My intention is to develop the buildings first. Long way to go....all good fun.
Had a good session today, got some laddering made up then completed the gallery. This has to be soldered to the stays and seems to be held up with fresh air.... :o ......the instructions just say bend up the etch, measure 9.3cm up the stays, this is where it will be soldered. No further mention of the gallery!! So, another lesson to learn.....soldering to fresh air...... :x
Rob

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:11 pm

RobM wrote:Slowly this is developing into yet another layout......keep messing around with sketches and plans which are slowly coming together. My intention is to develop the buildings first. Long way to go....all good fun.
Rob

Fanfare .... trumpets ...... cheers ..... applause ........anticipation :D 8-) :P
Tim Lee

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm

RobM wrote:

Rob

A simple trick to eliminate “hairy”thread is to draw the thread through a bit of beeswax. This makes it smooth, stiff and easier to handle.

Cheers,

David

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks David... :thumb

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Well the gallery is now fitted after a :idea: moment last night. As can be seen on the right hand stay there is just fresh air around the opening. I soldered some angle to the inside of the stays, fun in itself trying to get everything parallel bearing in mind the stays are angle in 2 directions. The gallery was then soldered to the angle with fingers crossed that I did not disturb the angle. All turned out well. Just need to solder the lifting gantry and the laddering and the metal work is complete.

gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “RobM”