Scaleforum 2017

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
DougN

Re: Scaleforum 2017

Postby DougN » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Warning warning

The layout may need a warning sign on it a Beware of the editor, do not poke things with fingers!

If you go near Clutton be very careful as Mr Editor may just leap out and collar you into an article :twisted:
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 pm

I am walking but is the bus going from the station forecourt or the car park. I think in the past it has been the forecourt but I saw somewhere it is the car park which we use at Railex.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:38 pm

It seems odd for Scaleforum to come around and for me not to be making my trip there. I've attended it for many ears either as a paying punter or exhibitor but for health reasons cannot this year.

I will miss it badly and hope you all have a wonderful, inspiring time. Please take lots of great photos and load them on the web. Some movies of Clutton (with bells and whistles) would be nice!

Very best wishes to Terry and his team and my thanks for very happy memories .

Ian

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm

David inquired where the bus is leaving from.
I was checking the bus timetable on the website this afternoon, and I found it was the usual station forecourt (the bus stop in Station Way), as in the past for Scaleforum.
I will be waiting there anyway for the first bus.

Jim

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:06 pm

For anybody who hasn't been yet, this is what your missing. It's quiet now, but then it is the the end of the day.
20170923_165828.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Having just returned from Aylesbury, I just wanted to thank the committee for a splendid job. Really enjoyed the show. So thanks Terry and all his helpers, it was superb!
Enjoyed Brettel Road and Dewsbury - the buildings on Dewsbury were some of the best I've ever seen. But singling out one de-cries the appeal of the others and there were so many good things to view. Usual excellent spread of traders and experts to question. Loved it, thank you all for a cracking weekend.

regards

Mike

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:56 pm

A very enjoyable weekend.

Thanks to all those who worked hard to make it such a good show.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Inspirational stuff.

I found it really difficult to pick a favourite layout .... the quality was stupendous! Such a great day.

A huge thanks to everyone.
Tim Lee

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Well, a huge thanks to those who helped me unload........to those who paid compliments on the layout, to those who were justifiably critical, to those that were understanding of Jen's condition, to Lord C and Mark Tatlow who gave time for us to have a lunch break (although I did catch Mark texting and driving but could not sack him as we wanted 1/2 hour more just to look around the exhibition.....).......to those that were patient in the exhibition curse of 2 problem locos.......to Will L who lent me his 'eyes and dexterity' in trying to resolve the curse because my eyes have virtually shot it!! To Terry and his team for all their excellent help and finally thanks to the folks who got us loaded up.......Jen and I love you all......

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 pm

RobM wrote:Well, a huge thanks to those who helped me unload........to those who paid compliments on the layout, to those who were justifiably critical, to those that were understanding of Jen's condition, to Lord C and Mark Tatlow who gave time for us to have a lunch break (although I did catch Mark texting and driving but could not sack him as we wanted 1/2 hour more just to look around the exhibition.....).......to those that were patient in the exhibition curse of 2 problem locos.......to Will L who lent me his 'eyes and dexterity' in trying to resolve the curse because my eyes have virtually shot it!! To Terry and his team for all their excellent help and finally thanks to the folks who got us loaded up.......Jen and I love you all......

Absolutely loved it Rob ... every bit as good as I had hoped. :thumb
Tim Lee

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Absolutely loved it Rob ... every bit as good as I had hoped. :thumb

Tim......really good to meet you. Really enjoyed our conversation, I will be following your thread with great interest although may only interject with comments I know about. Keep going...... :thumb
Rob

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Add me to list of 'appreciatees,' if that can even be considered a word. Was great talking to you again, Rob. Love the simulated grott on your layout, including the naughty calender/poster in the shed! I did look to see you again before we left yet you were away - never mind. Many thanks. :)

Thanks to Flymo too for the chat, always appreciated.

Also glad to finally see Clutton and Brettel Road in the flesh too.

Ecclesdon/Eccleston (someone correct me quick. Going from memory here) was great to see again. Watched an enjoyable sequence of goods train arriving, brake van dumped and train shunted and split between two sidings. Since the last time I saw this a lot has been completed as the warehouses at the back were just card mock-ups last time.

All in all great show as usual, brought a book and some scoff but that was about it.

:)

EDIT: Um, just realised I don't recall seeing Neversay. :idea:
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 am

I had a pleasant, but expensive Saturday afternoon at the show, the standard of the layouts was excellent. Brettell Lane, Minories and Mount Woodville stood out for me.

Phil

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am

Knuckles wrote:EDIT: Um, just realised I don't recall seeing Neversay. :idea:

That's because it wasn't there, fortunately our friend "Armchair" was indisposed

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:34 am

Many thanks to Terry and his team - and to the stewards performing the many and varied tasks that an exhibition requires. Bryan and I enjoyed the weekend and all it entailed - including meeting and re-acquainting with many nice people, to numerous to mention individually. Arrived home at 8.00am after a good journey up the M1 - a rare occurence these days.

Edit - yes, my error! Must be the jetlag after the long journey. Please read it as 8.00pm or, if you prefer, 20.00 hours
Last edited by Enigma on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am

Paul,

8am? Even I got back at 8.15 pm (to Surrey) with a slow moving M25! Did you stop overnight...?

Seriously, it was a great weekend, with some very fine modelling on show. Hopefully my pictures will show how good it was. Many thanks to Terry for organising it all. A nice way to spend a weekend. So nice to meet up with old friends and make some new ones.

Philip

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am

I could only get there for Sunday afternoon but it was definitely worth it. My 10yo daughter liked the interior lighting on Bretell Rd and the scenic details on Clutton - especially the black cat. I made several purchases including a 4mm donkey and cart for my daughter. Lovely afternoon.

Andrew

Brockley, London

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I usually leg it from Stoke Mandeville station to the stadium, but this year was feeling a bit under the weather and decided to make my way from Aylesbury station. However, arriving there shortly before 11 00 am, the exhibition bus didn't happen for me and the dozen or so other hopefuls, and after 30 minutes, everyone had drifted off, so I decided to try my luck at the bus station, armed with the info from the Scalefour Guide. (Maybe the exhibition bus parks itself in a different bit of the station forecourt/car park areas, and we all missed it?)

Anyway, for future reference, the Guide's recommended service 50 goes from stand 8 (and not from stand 3, as the Guide states), but doesn't appear to be very frequent on Saturdays. Aylesbury bus station is devoid of maps, so finding an alternative was not so easy. Service number 9 seems a lot more frequent, and goes to the Hospital. I got on a service 300, getting off at the stop (with the small Co-op and the fish and chip shop) before the Hospital, and walked down 'Stadium Approach'. (Both service 9 and 300 travel to the south side of the stadium.)

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Many thanks to the organising team. Brilliant show in which I managed to persuade the two chaps with me to join.
I knew three NAG members had exhibited their layouts but to win two of the awards as well!
Gives inspiration to us all.
We joked about it being "NAGforum" before hand, but this was a pleasant surprise. I thought the standard overall was outstanding, so thanks to all the exhibitors too.
Ken Kirk,
NAG Coordinator

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Very sorry that I was unable to bring 'Neversay' to Scaleforum. Looks like I missed a really great show.

I got a bad leg infection and then pulled a muscle in my thigh trying to avoid the pain. For several weeks, it was a struggle to stand, walk or drive for very long.

Things are improving dramatically now though, much to my relief!

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Very sorry that I was unable to bring 'Neversay' to Scaleforum. Looks like I missed a really great show.

I got a bad leg infection and then pulled a muscle in my thigh trying to avoid the pain. For several weeks, it was a struggle to stand, walk or drive for very long.

Things are improving dramatically now though, much to my relief!

Glad to hear it. Really sorry not to have made your acquaintance. Looking forward to further instalments of the Neversay thread :thumb
Tim Lee

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Scaleforum was excellent as always. It turned out to be my most expensive Scaleforum ever, so I made some of the traders happy! Actually (joking apart) it is important that we go on putting cash in the hands of the trade, as keeping them in business is vital to our hobby. The presence of a good selection of traders is one of the major attractions of events like Scaleforum.

I enjoyed the layouts and the demonstrations, and numerous conversations with friends. As one of them observed, this is what ScaleFORUM is about;the clue's in the title.

The one disappointing feature of this year's e event was the apparently thin attendance, even on the Saturday. When the Society organizes such an excellent event, it is a mystery that it does not seem to attract a larger proportion of our membership. If you weren't there, you missed a really good time.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 pm

martin goodall wrote:The one disappointing feature of this year's e event was the apparently thin attendance, even on the Saturday. When the Society organizes such an excellent event, it is a mystery that it does not seem to attract a larger proportion of our membership. If you weren't there, you missed a really good time.

Hi Martin,

I already responded to a similar comment on RMWeb:

"Numbers through the door were slightly down on last year. However someone with more knowledge of statistics than I do has commented that both member and non-member volumes are within the upper and lower probability bounds. Whatever that means.

We are now deliberately planning the show to have more circulating areas, space to gather around layouts and so on. One innovation a couple of years ago was the introduction of table and chairs to enable people to rest, chat, and peruse their purchases. I did have a feeling that we put out fewer of these than last year, which can lead to the feel of more "space" and less "clutter". Or Clutton. As we tucked that layout and Dewsbury up against an outside wall. So much of the feel of a show can depend on the layout of the floorplan.

Anyway, there's been lots of positive feedback, I enjoyed myself meeting so many friends, and I'm looking forward to another one next year :-)
Cheers
Paul Willis
Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman"

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

pete_mcfarlane

Postby pete_mcfarlane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
martin goodall wrote:I already responded to a similar comment on RMWeb:

"Numbers through the door were slightly down on last year.

I like RMweb and post on it all the time, but some people on there are always ready to write the obituary from finescale modelling. Attendence at S4um being down by one person compared to last year is always a sign of our impending demise.

This year was my first attendance after the move from Learherhead, and I thought it was a really good show.

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:08 pm

pete_mcfarlane wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:
martin goodall wrote:I already responded to a similar comment on RMWeb:

"Numbers through the door were slightly down on last year.

I like RMweb and post on it all the time, but some people on there are always ready to write the obituary from finescale modelling. Attendence at S4um being down by one person compared to last year is always a sign of our impending demise.

This year was my first attendance after the move from Learherhead, and I thought it was a really good show.

The numbers through the door only matter if it is losing money really. As long as finances are healthy it should hopefully all be well.

Obviously it is much better if as many members as possible make it along, but it isn't always going to be possible, and is why having the Wakefield show is helpful for some.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Return to “Exhibitions”