Scaleforum 2017

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Scaleforum 2017

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:56 am

A bit of a surprise that the opening times are not given on our public show page! Perhaps John can add it when he gets back. If you go through to the advance ticket page you only get the early admission time.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I have purchased my advance ticket and paid via Paypal. This part of the process appears to have been successful.

The bad news is that my efforts to print the ticket have met with less than total success. Each of the four attempts shows the Society logo, the square thing that looks like a map of the Hampton Court maze, a horizontal line and nothing else. I tried copying and pasting to Word and printing from that with the same result. Right now I hate technology. With a passion!

Chris

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:44 pm

The sequel is, of course, that the problem was at my end. The printer did not seem to like being left idle for the duration of my holiday but is now responding after a head and nozzle clean. Many, many thanks to WebmasterJohn for his help. I still hate technology btw.

Chris

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 am

chrisf wrote:The sequel is, of course, that the problem was at my end. The printer did not seem to like being left idle for the duration of my holiday but is now responding after a head and nozzle clean. Many, many thanks to WebmasterJohn for his help. I still hate technology btw.

Chris

Never mind Chris. You can always come and have a go on the day a good old-fashioned analogue layout.

BTW, I find I always work better after a good head and nozzle clean too. ;)

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:07 pm

chrisf wrote:The sequel is, of course, that the problem was at my end. The printer did not seem to like being left idle for the duration of my holiday but is now responding after a head and nozzle clean. Many, many thanks to WebmasterJohn for his help. I still hate technology btw.

Chris

Sadly ink jet printers need to be used regularly, or they do indeed start getting clogged up. The nozzles are so fine these days that dried ink can often make the printer a paperweight if it isn't used regularly enough.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

David B

Postby David B » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 pm

As Kelly mentions, inkjet printers are a problem unless used regularly and the ink is a phenomenal price. I have used laser printers for many years, my non-colour one is now more than 20 years old, produces excellent prints and the toner cartridges are still available. This printer works perfectly even if not used for a month or more, so I am expecting it to continue in use for many years to come. It is also quite cheap to use as the toner cartridge does a lot of copies.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm

I can strongly endorse David's findings. Laser printers are infinitely superior to ink-jet, and a lot cheaper to run. Toner lasts a long time. The drum will eventually wear out, but it takes a good few years to get to that stage.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 am

We seem to be drifting off thread here so maybe it could be moved somewhere more appropriate.

When my old Epson printer stopped printing to an acceptable quality after a period of misuse I thought about replacing the ink cartridges. This was going to cost over £40 for the set but a very helpful chap at our local PC World pointed out that for an extra £20 I could buy a brand new HP printer/scanner/copier. It turned out to be the right decision as it was very easy to set up wirelessly, the quality of printing is good and it came with an added bonus. HP runs a service called Instant Ink where for the princely sum of £1.99 per month they provide replacement ink cartridges by post.

The system monitors your ink use on line and ensures you have replacement cartridges available when you need them. There is a downside of course which is that I am restricted to 50 pages per month although unused pages can be carried forward. I think that for an extra £1.50 per month the limit is 100 pages and there is a charge per batch of pages if you exceed the limit. I don't tend to do a lot of printing so 50 pages per month normally covers my needs. Including paper, my total printing costs are less than £30 per year.

There was a further bonus in that the first 6 months were free with a limit of 300 pages during that period.

No connection with HP but for me I thought it was a good deal.

Roy

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:53 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Perhaps John can add it when he gets back.

Now done. Thank you all for your patience this week.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 am

I have just updated the show page, and uploaded the guide (PDF) and details of the £3 bus service we will run from Aylesbury Station.

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 am

I'll have the first board of a range of my curved photobox modular baseboards on show to view. Please come and say hello and for chat if you're thinking about starting a new project. This one is 18ins wide with a 12ft outside Diameter. A 45 degree segment.

Cheers
Tim Horn

18ins Wide 6ft Front Radius Photobox Board Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

18ins Wide 6ft Front Radius Photobox Board TJH02 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

18ins Wide 6ft Front Radius paired with a 4ft Photobox Board TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Tim Horn wrote:I'll have the first board of a range of my curved photobox modular baseboards on show to view.

A neat idea. Is there a plan to have a board with an inside curve for those who need to turn round the corner of a room? And after than base boards with a straight back and a curved front. :)

Terry Bendall

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:...Is there a plan to have a board with an inside curve for those who need to turn round the corner of a room?

Or used with one of the outside curves to give you a layout with a wiggle in it? The possibility are.....

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 pm

Vertical curves would be even more fun ;)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

We regret to announce the Richard Lake's layout Neversay will not now be appearing at Scaleforum. Unfortunately Richard has ben unwell in recent weeks and is not well enough to come. We hope to include Richard in the line up of layouts in 2018.

Terry Bendall

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 am

The curved boards from Mr Horn are quite brilliant. Once upon a time I wanted to build a circular layout in P4. I still have the idea but the lack of time is the thing that is holding back all modelling.

I hope every one enjoys scaleforum. Unfortunately I wont be making it this year, well with out a lotto win (I would also need to buy tickets!)
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 am

Like Doug, I too can't get to Scaleforum this year, other arrangements requiring that I shall be abroad enjoying some sunshine - or at least that is the plan.

As I shan't be there to assist John Redrup on the London Road Models stand, I am sure he would appreciate it if someone gets him a cup of tea with two sugars from time to time.

Jol

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote: I am sure he would appreciate it if someone gets him a cup of tea with two sugars from time to time

John will have to remind me, but we can certainly find someone to do that. :)

Terry Bendall

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 am

Sudden panic as I've just found out I can go but can't find my membership card! I know my number so is there a list on the door to verify me for entry at member's rate? I can provide other photo id to cross check address if required.

Thanks.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:41 am

Hi Peter and any other member who has mislaid their membership card; there is always a list (two actually, one for each till) so there will be no problem if you can't find your membership card.

Don't forget that you can also buy your ticket in advance if you wish to, just click here

An advance ticket will get you in early on both days.

The Show Guide can also be downloaded here

All the Best
Danny

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Also if you email Steve he can produce a new card for you to collect (which is what he did for me at Scalefour North :) ).
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Thankyou Danny & Kelly. The Law of Turves says I'll find it after the show!

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am

Hi All

I shall be around on the society stand this week end, mostly selling exhibitors their coffee tickets I suspect, but, if anybody wants to come and praise/comment/complain about my choice of items on the Forum Highlights page in Snooze or even suggest possible content please feel free. Alternatively if you want words about CSBs or other suspension issues, I will be please to have a chat, do you a CSB plot or sell you a coffee token. See you all there.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 am

And Editor Tim will also be at Scaleforum ready to listen to your ideas for articles for the News, and offers to write them. He will have a dedicated time when he will be at the Society stand to meet people and this will be announced on the PA system.

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Editor Tim can be found on his layout Clutton, wearing two hats - Editor and layout operator. I don't think I will have time to come to the society stand, but can be collared around the show or on the layout ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Exhibitions”