Scalefour North 2017

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Mark Tatlow

Re: Scalefour North 2017

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am

David B wrote:Fervour for this show seems to be on the back-burner this year. ...

For fervour, read shopping list generation?

Certainly in my case!!
Mark Tatlow

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 pm

Shopping list generation?

I've spent most of my spare time the past two weeks planning the next 12 months program of modelling, taking stock of what I have and drawing up a list of what I hope to buy. Since it is probably my only shopping trip for the next year it's a pretty big list :D The list of traders is about as good as it could be for it.

Plane leaves Newark NJ tonight, arrives Manchester early on Thursday, two days to try to recuperate then two days of the show.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Not travelling far then :D
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

iak

Postby iak » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Going to Wakefield this year is something I aim to enjoy having finally found some solace and progress in my health travails.
Pennies ready and hopefully, brain ready :D
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:00 am

Not really sure what I'm doing up at this time of the morning...
Oh yes, shortly to leave darkest Somerset for Wakefield.

kelly

Postby kelly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:25 am

Andrew Ullyott wrote:Not really sure what I'm doing up at this time of the morning...
Oh yes, shortly to leave darkest Somerset for Wakefield.

Likewise, need tea!
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 am

Hmmmmmm coffee!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:07 am

steamraiser wrote:Hmmmmmm coffee!

And something a bit stronger a bit later!

Have a safe journey everyone that is travelling. It'll be worth it.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Excellent show. Spent more time talking than looking but got everything I wanted and a couple more bits. Well worth the drive down from Durham, congrats to all involved.

John

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I'll second John's comments. Managed to get all on my shopping list and my wallet has become £200 lighter..... :o
Rob

iak

Postby iak » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Twas a grand day out and I didn't conk out.
Mind, a few pennies were spent :?
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:43 pm

I think I managed to get just about everything on my list and can look forward to a productive year ahead. There were some additional impulse purchases including a LRM Chopper. I managed to also fill Mr. Dishman's list which will be shipped on to Ohio on my return to the USA.

I think though it was equally rewarding to be able to chat with like-minded people and pick up some useful knowledge from conversations and observation. That doesn't happen in the USA for fairly obvious reasons, and while this forum is an excellent medium for exchange of views it is more enjoyable when you can put a face to the messenger.

A big thank you to all who made this weekend happen, organizers, exhibitors, demonstrators, and traders. As was the case with Scaleforum last autumn, it was well worth the trip over the ocean.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:36 pm

And here's Neville talking to John Redrup on the London Road Models Stand. Good to meet you Neville :D

DSCF2181.JPG

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:56 pm

An excellent weekend and definitely worth the 200+ mile round trip.

Grabbed some bargains from the second hand stand, yet more books (just as well my shelving replacement program left room for expansion of collection, even with the multiple different sections (jewellery/craft, aviation/aviation modelling, science fiction/fantasy etc, and railway/model railway)), more track items, wheels and some items from the stores needed.

A rather fruitful trip.

Thanks to all the organisers and exhibitors for a great show.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:16 pm

A cracking day at Scalefour North!

A lovely selection of exhibits and trade and the usual friendly, laid back atmosphere. And my little boy, Thomas,was very happy - the operators of a number of layouts invited him behind the scenes and he spent the best part of an hour assisting with Calcutta Sidings!

WhatsApp Image 2017-04-02 at 18.44.00.jpeg

This is how you engage and encourage the young into the hobby - it may be they don't come over to our side until later in life but the seed is planted! The kindness of people at shows like today who have spoken to him properly, not talking down to him or dismissing him, do the future of the hobby far, far more of a service than I suspect those horrible 'something for the kids' Thomas layouts, stuck in the corner at local shows (I've written about this on my blog before - http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/ ... wrong.html).

I think this is really shows how friendly our Society is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:34 pm

That's me on the left on your pic James :mrgreen:

John

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 pm

I went along to Scalefour North today and had an excellent day. Most enjoyable.

I'd like to say thanks to all the organisers, layout operators, traders and everybody else who helped out - much appreciated.

Roll on Scalefour North 2018! :thumb

Do we have any dates yet :?:

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Excellent Scalefour North. Much thanks to the organisers. All the layouts were great, difficult to decide on the best. Particularly enjoyed seeing "Greater Britain" taking an inspection turn round Calcutta Sidings.
P4010059.JPG
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Once again, the Scalefour North weekend was over all too quickly. I had a thoroughly enjoyable time and would like to express my thanks to the organisers and their team of willing and friendly helpers, without whom the event could not have been the success that it was. Special mention and thanks go to the Bring and Buy team, who worked tirelessly throughout the entire weekend. Whilst the rest of us were winding down during the last hour on Sunday, they were still hard at it settling up with members, sorting out goods to return and, of course, counting out the cash.

A few highlights for me were Chris Pendlenton's DCC sound equipped Q6, Phil Sutton's array of class 24s, the Smoke Box Jury and the young lad driving trains on Calcutta Sidings. A good mix of layouts and a selection of fine demonstrators all added to the atmosphere of a very special event.

Looking forward to 2018 already. Well done James, Alistair and the rest of the team.
The second best priest

RichardS

Postby RichardS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm

James Wells wrote:
This is how you engage and encourage the young into the hobby - it may be they don't come over to our side until later in life but the seed is planted! The kindness of people at shows like today who have spoken to him properly, not talking down to him or dismissing him, do the future of the hobby far, far more of a service than I suspect those horrible 'something for the kids' Thomas layouts, stuck in the corner at local shows (I've written about this on my blog before - http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/ ... wrong.html).

I think this is really shows how friendly our Society is!

Great to see your lad getting involved - my guess is it will never leave him.
I suspect the extent of a child's interest might be influenced most by the parents' level of interest at the end of the day. (Unless there are influential Grandparents to whom he/she is exposed.)
Nevertheless - good on the other owners to let him have a go.

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:09 pm

John Donnelly wrote:That's me on the left on your pic James :mrgreen:

I'd have said hello if I'd realised!

Lord Colnago wrote:A few highlights for me were Chris Pendlenton's DCC sound equipped Q6, Phil Sutton's array of class 24s, the Smoke Box Jury and the young lad driving trains on Calcutta Sidings.

He hasn't stopped talking about it since the weekend!

RichardS wrote:Great to see your lad getting involved - my guess is it will never leave him.
I suspect the extent of a child's interest might be influenced most by the parents' level of interest at the end of the day. (Unless there are influential Grandparents to whom he/she is exposed.)
Nevertheless - good on the other owners to let him have a go.

Well, he didn't stand much of a chance - as well as the trains and books at home my dad is an enthusiast, modeller and ex-railway (long ex, they still had steam when he was on!) and my father in law is an enthusiast and modeller! So he's surrounded by it all.

But when those are shows engage with him as they did on Sunday, it makes a real difference :)

At some of the more local type shows I've seen people talk down to him and not really take his interest seriously but at Scalefour North, quite the opposite - it flies in the face of the oft reported stereotype of the finescale modeller as being elitist when a little boy is treated so well - we should all be pleased how friendly and welcoming the Society is as a whole!

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 pm

I was on the Scalefour stand at the Nottingham show recently and we had several groups of young children driving trains on our test track. Somebody commented that the only thing available for the youngsters to have a go at was in P4. I thought that was rather nice and reflects well on the society.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:43 am

Likeliness at Warley 2016, we gave one young man the opportunity to try his hand on London Road. He had returned three times with Grandad to view the layout, so Colin invited him to assist at the control panel.

New op training 2.jpg

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 am

Also at the Nottingham show, kids were rather happy to play with the various items on display on the merg stand, including a working level crossing with working lights and sounds.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 am

jon price wrote:Excellent Scalefour North. Much thanks to the organisers. All the layouts were great, difficult to decide on the best. Particularly enjoyed seeing "Greater Britain" taking an inspection turn round Calcutta Sidings.
P4010059.JPG

Jon

very nice, it just needs a LNWR Inspection saloon behind it, or a rake of LNWR carriages.

Jol

Return to “Exhibitions”