Right plot, but confused about the loco...

Russ Elliott

Right plot, but confused about the loco...

Postby Russ Elliott » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:31 am

On the CLAG CSB page, I included two plots for a 7'6" + 8'9" tank loco, which I was told was a CR 782 tank. I can't remember who requested it. (It was sometime in late 2013 or January 2014.) I subsequently learn that the CR 782 tender loco has a 7'9" + 9'0" wb. I'm confused. Are there two types of CR 782?

Julian Roberts

Re: Right plot, but confused about the loco...

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:28 am

Well Russ I've made one, though that doesn't qualify me an unltimate expert. As far as I know the 782 is a tank loco only. The only thing I can think of in relation to your question is that, if I remember correctly, the CR generic Drummond 0-6-0 tender loco, the "Jumbo", had the same wheelbase as the 782, with bigger wheels, but McIntosh's subsequent development of that loco, the 812 class, had the 3" longer wheel spacing you mention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the concise clarification, Julian. (Things north of Watford are a bit 'another country' for me.)

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm

That would be because the Caledonian is from another country. Useful drawing. I have one with BR fittings that I would like to backdate. Are there any suggestions as to where I might source a chimney, dome and safety valve?

Cheers

John

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:18 am

I got nice turnings for chimney and safety valves from Markits. Not sure he is doing chimneys any more. The South Eastern Finecast kit came with two types of dome.

Does the Southerner's map finish at Watford station or Watford Gap services? :|

The drawing is from the Caledonian Railway Association. I can't access photos just now but having with much effort altered the kit to replicate the dimensions of the drawing, I find on completion the loco looks subtly different to photos of the real thing! The tanks look -and are -smaller as a proportion of the loco length, about 48% rather than about 50%, measuring the photos. Tiny amount...! So I wonder if the drawing is completely accurate, or perhaps the makers did not absolutely follow the drawings? I might have been better not to alter the SEF castings... ;)

martinm

Postby martinm » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Does the Southerner's map finish at Watford station or Watford Gap services? :|

Well, neither according to this map, though it wasn't the one I was looking for, but it will have to do. :D

How Londoners see the North – at least, according to the Doncaster and District Development Council (Source: Gould and White, 1974, p.40)

regards,

martin

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”