Mount Woodville Works

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
martinm

Re: Mount Woodville Works

Postby martinm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:42 pm

More buildings completed.............

Nice work, Rob!

Now for the 'clutter'?

I was amazed by how cramped these places were. I looked at the aerial photos of the Mount Pleasant Works, Woodville and the ground level ones of Slater's Brickworks, Denby - there hardly seemedany free space!

I'm still wondering about those pipes - perhaps some straws or just a small fortune in brass tube?

regards,

martin

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Very nice again, Rob.

When do you go public with this one, or am I jumping the gun?

Thanks Richard..........
Going public?...........Not yet sure.......Have had to buy another car to get it in..... ;) .....but then I've had the Focus for 12 years........got a 2014 jobbie which has so many gizmos that it's doing my head in.......
Need to get some rolling stock......currently using Manston's stock for testing. Having completed those buildings on the left baseboard I've now turned to the weird and wonderful clay wagons. Today has been taken up with producing a pattern for the trunnion bearings which will then be cast in resin.......and fingers crossed will work......it has certainly tested my ageing and cataract affected eyes........but more on that after the tests.

martinm wrote:
More buildings completed.............

Nice work, Rob!

Now for the 'clutter'?

I was amazed by how cramped these places were. I looked at the aerial photos of the Mount Pleasant Works, Woodville and the ground level ones of Slater's Brickworks, Denby - there hardly seemedany free space!

I'm still wondering about those pipes - perhaps some straws or just a small fortune in brass tube?

regards,

martin

Thanks Martin.......yup, pretty cramped....and yup the clutter to be added.......I have made 100's of clay drain pipes (Evergreen stuff) and are stacked in a number of ways......I've also done a mock up of a loaded wagon using straw. I spoke with Bill Bedford at Scaleforum who put forward some wagon loading suggestions (Thanks Bill).....I'll get some piccies up over the next couple of days....
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm

The 9" x 48" drain pipes......made from 3.2mm Evergreen tube (closest to 3mm), drilled out then 10 X 80 thou strip glued to one end to represent the socket.

drain-pipes.jpg

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinm

Postby martinm » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Rob,

:o :shock: :x

Keep it up,

martin

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Very disappointed, Rob.

Your model brickworks looked so convincing that we all thought it was going to be a fully working model. Now you tell us you are making the products yourself - and out of plastic too!

:twisted:

Seriously, this is going to be epic! Keep up the good work :thumb

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:13 am

martinm wrote:Rob,

:o :shock: :x

Keep it up,

martin

Will do...... :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:18 am

Armchair Modeller wrote:Very disappointed, Rob.

Your model brickworks looked so convincing that we all thought it was going to be a fully working model. Now you tell us you are making the products yourself - and out of plastic too!

:twisted:

Seriously, this is going to be epic! Keep up the good work :thumb

Richard,
Sorry to disappoint but not through lack of trying.........lit one of the kilns with the following result from a stray spark.........

grass-fire.jpg

........can't risk the rest of the layout........ ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 am

Currently working on the clay wagons. The original fabricated 'hidden' chassis was slightly less than satisfactory albeit that it did run. The wheels had a metal boss reducing the axle to 1 mm. I had removed the boss, fitted 2mm axles but there was a bit of wheel wobble plus the axles were not removable. I've turned to the original design which had trunnion bearings. One axle had full bearings about which the body could tip. The other axle has half bearings which allowed the axle to drop after a retaining pin was removed. I decided to adopt a form of half bearing. A pattern was made and subsequently cast in resin. The slot on the bearing was just under 2mm allowing the axle to be pressed home and retained. The original test build had the bearings fitted. The wheel set was made up of the wheels, a 1mm axle and a 2mm brass tube turned to length. On the test build the wheel boss fouled so on a new chassis I fitted the bearings slightly inboard and all works satisfactorily.

clay-wagon-chassis.jpg

The photo shows (clockwise) the bearing pattern, a jig to ensure parallel axles and at 90 degrees, one of the cast resin bearings, the final set up chassis and the first test build which will only be used as a static exhibit on the layout. Onwards now with more wagons.........
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

It is really interesting how you have done that Rob. I was thinking of doing some RT Models wagons with inside bearings for my little layout. Whose wheels have you used?

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Loving the pipe work, the end caps are particularly convincing to me.

Did you model the fire damage or did you go for some real time effect?

El cheapo fag lighter and the mouth wind extinguisher? :twisted:
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:It is really interesting how you have done that Rob. I was thinking of doing some RT Models wagons with inside bearings for my little layout. Whose wheels have you used?

Exactoscale wheels from C & L, currently out of stock. (E4CW 103B)

Knuckles wrote:Loving the pipe work, the end caps are particularly convincing to me.

Gavin, static grass glued flat then painted to represent soil, ash and burnt grass. Then surrounded with static grass from applicator.
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:22 pm

RobM wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote:It is really interesting how you have done that Rob. I was thinking of doing some RT Models wagons with inside bearings for my little layout. Whose wheels have you used?

Exactoscale wheels from C & L, currently out of stock. (E4CW 103B)Rob

Thanks Rob.

RobM wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Loving the pipe work, the end caps are particularly convincing to me.

Gavin, static grass glued flat then painted to represent soil, ash and burnt grass. Then surrounded with static grass from applicator.
Rob

Gavin's idea sounds much more fun ;)

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:41 am

Great work Rob. I'm having difficulty working out your wagon's axles work. Does one tube simply retain the other?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Andy,
The 2mm brass tube acts as a bearing and is held static by the bearings. The 1mm axle passes through the brass tube. The wheels have a metal boss which extends to the end of the brass tube.

claywagonaxle01.png

Hope the drawing helps although from originally drawn the bearings had to be moved slightly in board to stop the wheel bosses from fouling.
Rob

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks Rob, all clear now. The photo lighting threw me - I thought there were two axles per wheel set. Doh! Eye test due.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Andy, I can see the slight confusion now.... :)...... No eye test required....I just ask myself the question that why in the 1970's and 1980's I was model engineering at 2" to 1' and then when cataracts set in the 2000's I took to P4....... :?: :?: :?:
Rob

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 am

Why do you need a tube? why not just use 1mm id bearings? The wagons would then be freer running.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:07 am

billbedford wrote:Why do you need a tube? why not just use 1mm id bearings? The wagons would then be freer running.

The tube potentially offers better alignment of the bearing surfaces. Parallel bearings can generate a lot of friction if they are not perfectly coaxial, as I've seen in my wagons with Exactoscale suspension.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:28 pm

billbedford wrote:Why do you need a tube? why not just use 1mm id bearings? The wagons would then be freer running.

Bill, I need to be able to remove the axles in the event of.........I originally tried with turned bearings albeit they were 2mm id but was not totally satisfied with alignment. OK,they ran but having tested the current option with 'half trunnion bearings' and the tube the running has improved immensely way beyond my expectation, also the fabrication is much simpler.

Guy Rixon wrote:
The tube potentially offers better alignment of the bearing surfaces. Parallel bearings can generate a lot of friction if they are not perfectly coaxial, as I've seen in my wagons with Exactoscale suspension.

Guy, you've hit the nail on the head....... :) .........although I do not have the added problem of suspension. Just have to make sure the trunnion bearings are almost dead on so all four wheels sit on the rail. 3 chassis (whats the plural of chassis?) now completed and all fine and free running, which is my goal.

Rob

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:41 pm

RobM wrote:3 chassis (whats the plural of chassis?)

Chassis. It's one of those odd words, like Thrips, where the singular and the plural are the same.
Regards
Noel

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:46 pm

:thumb ....thanks Noel.........

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:53 pm

The plural of "chassis" should surely be "underframes".....?

Allan F

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:23 pm

allanferguson wrote:The plural of "chassis" should surely be "underframes".....?

Allan F

Or chissis as in mice!

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Guy Williams used axles in tubes for his compensated loco chassis (plural), IIRC.

You are in good company, Rob ;)

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:51 am

Further thoughts on couplings.........because the layout is quite deep this could provide a problem getting to the 3 link couplings so I've now resorted to Dingham's. 7mm deep dumb buffers just did not look right so the on site wagon works have removed them and fitted a buffer beam and conventional buffers. The remaining trucks will all be built this way. The numbers on the side were initially done with slide transfers but looked too clinical, on the real trucks they were roughly hand painted so I've done the same.

final-design.jpg

Rob

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”