vallejo paints

steve howe

vallejo paints

Postby steve howe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 pm

I am hearing good things about Vallejo acrylics, can anyone advise who stocks them in the UK? and do they require their own thinners etc. I am told they are heavily pigmented and so can be thinned and run into panelling allowing capillary action to make a sharp line along the beading and still cover in one coat.

Many thanks

Steve

jon price

Re: vallejo paints

Postby jon price » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:10 pm

They are used by many figure painters/wargamers so are readily available from their suppliers. If you thin them you need to use their thinner medium to retain the pigment density, but they do then flow very well. This is a good place to start: http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Vallejo-Paints-c27/
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi Steve,

I've been using them diluted with water for many years, but they have their own thinner that seemed to improve their resistance to scratches.
I always use a matt varnish coat to protect them.

They also do washes, with many shades available. I've not yet used them, but I preferred Citadel washes to diluted Vallejo model colour when Vallejo did not have the wash range.

Here in the UK I've found them in local hobby shops, and also online (eHattons had a good offer a few weeks ago, although not every colour available).

Don't forget to give them a good shake (I use a steel ball inside the bottle, which, by the way, is a very convenient one)

Carlos

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for the heads-up guys, I'm going to have a crack at some GWR panelled stock, it looks from their website that Light Yellow is going to be the nearest to GWR primrose, but I guess it can be mixed with white to lighten the tone. Reasonable prices so will give them a go.

........Pendraken? there's a glimpse into another world! :D :D :D

Steve :D :D

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

You might want to read through this post at t'other place: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-8235-painting-coach-panels/. There's a Vallejo recipe for GWR coach colours down in the comments.

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 pm

I like them a lot and get mine from Antics in Bristol.
I have also tried their thinners which seem to work well.

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:52 pm

I've yet to use the ones I got to use with my airbrush which hasn't yet come out of the box! (not got a model to a stage of painting yet).

I remember from when I used to do military models and aviation models that they were raved about usually (Mr Hobby/Mr Color and Tamiya paints were often recommended in the various magazines at the time for them in favour of the usual humbrul/revell).

Finding the right paint matches is the challenge, I found a site that listed the different shades and their matches etc. I don't have access to my bookmarks where I'd have it as I'm not at home at present. It might have been on a thread on that other forum.

I have mainly BR Green/Blue and NSE Railfreight stock to paint, so will need to find matches to those. If I can find the site again I'll post it.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:35 am

steve howe wrote:I am hearing good things about Vallejo acrylics, can anyone advise who stocks them in the UK? and do they require their own thinners etc.

I use them a lot. They are quite widely available - formerly via Modelzone. but many local shops stock them.

I would not use tap water to thin them. A reasonable thinner would be 35ml Isopropyl alcohol, 65ml distilled (de-ionised) water, 5 drops glycerine. The glycerine acts as a retarding agent and is very useful when spraying as it stops the nozzle clogging (well, delays it in truth).

Another suggestion is to put a small ball-bearing in the bottom - it helps mix them and ensures uniformity. You can always recover it when the bottle is empty, but then they are available on ebay for a few pence per million...

Hope that helps.

pete_mcfarlane

Postby pete_mcfarlane » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:16 pm

If you're up North, then at least some of the Boyes chain of high street shops sell them.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:18 pm

pete_mcfarlane wrote:If you're up North, then at least some of the Boyes chain of high street shops sell them.

Crumbs... :o Boyes's....Theres a retail adventure not for the faint hearted! I remember well the store when I lived in York, but that was probably the posh one :D

Have ordered up a selection from Pendraken so will experiment and report back.

Steve

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:18 pm

pete_mcfarlane wrote:If you're up North, then at least some of the Boyes chain of high street shops sell them.

Crumbs... :o Boyes's....Theres a retail adventure not for the faint hearted! I remember well the store when I lived in York, but that was probably the posh one :D

Have ordered up a selection from Pendraken so will experiment and report back.

Steve

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 pm

If you are doing panelled stock, I found using a laundry marker the easiest way to do the beading.

Phil

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Phil O wrote:If you are doing panelled stock, I found using a laundry marker the easiest way to do the beading.

Phil

That sounds most intriguing, what, pray tell, is a laundry marker (black pen presumably) and where would one acquire such a device?

ideal for GWR stock where they painted the upper beading black, and the body colour brown....

Steve
(in Edwardian Mode for some reason)

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 am

They are just very permanent markers - various colours and thicknesses available.

For example...

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0806044/

...lots of others available.

Should be fine if you want to boil your model...

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:42 pm

steve howe wrote:
Phil O wrote:If you are doing panelled stock, I found using a laundry marker the easiest way to do the beading.

Phil

That sounds most intriguing, what, pray tell, is a laundry marker (black pen presumably) and where would one acquire such a device?

ideal for GWR stock where they painted the upper beading black, and the body colour brown....

Steve
(in Edwardian Mode for some reason)

I can't remember if I got mine in Smiths or Staples, a bit like a felt tip pen, but with a finer tip, a lot more controlable than a paint brush.

Phil

Return to “Painting and Weathering”