Sludge wagons ex-loco tender

chris_mccarthy

Sludge wagons ex-loco tender

Postby chris_mccarthy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Can anyone help with a photo, drawing, reference or whatever showing, especially, the TOP of a sludge wagon converted from a loco tender?

My model will be based on an ex SR (exSECR) type but since ex-tenders seemed to be adapted/converted fairly randomly at many works and places across the country it doesn't really matter which railway company tender was the prototype for the information requested. I just need to clarify the general nature of plating, hatches etc on the top of a typical sludge conversion and I'll take it from there.

So far I have only managed to find an aerial photo from 10,000ft where some sludge tenders can just be seen at a loco depot on the ex LNER. I can, in fact, get some very general ideas of the tops from that but it is scarcely an effective modelling source for rolling stock details! Hence help requested, please.

Any side or end views of, or references to, sludge tenders would also be welcomed. I have a couple of these but would prefer to have more.

Many thanks,

Chris
Chris McCarthy

grovenor-2685

Re: Sludge wagons ex-loco tender

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Funny how things come around in pairs! Someone just started a topic on RMweb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113480-water-softening-plants-to-prevent-limescale-in-loco-boilers/#entry2384662
And a link given to Paul Bartletts photos showing a couple of tenders, but not a top view, I suspect that may be more difficult!
http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsludge
Regards

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:44 pm

Can't provide a top view, but Locomotives Illustrated No.62 on Reid Atlantics includes a shot of a tender formerly attached to Bon-Accord in use as a sludge carrier at Grantham. Not clear whether it was spillage from the tender tank, but the picture shows a modest quantity of solidified water treatment products in the coal space. It would appear that the tank was used to carry liquid sludge and that it was drained via the feedwater outlet immediately behind the drag beam. Otherwise the picture reveals no trace of modifications made to suit the tender for its new role.

Back in 1966-67, I clearly recall seeing one or more of the BR-built sludge wagons shown on Paul Bartlett's site beneath the water softening plant at Bournemouth Central shed, tucked away behind the engine lifting gantry. Since the Bournemouth plant shows that the Southern found it necessary to provide a softened water supply, at least at this shed, was T.I.A. only applied to Bulleid's Pacifics?

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:08 am

There were sludge tanks at Eastleigh running shed as well - usually to be seen standing next to the water treatment plant. I recall them as being old Drummond six-wheel tenders and do not recall any particular modifications to them except the addition of buffers and couplings where the tender was previously coupled to a locomotive. I also recall there were vestiges of the Bulleid 'Southern' lettering still visible on the tank sides. Not a lot of help to the query though I am afraid.

Gerry

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:11 am

chris_mccarthy wrote:Any side or end views of, or references to, sludge tenders would also be welcomed

British Railway Wagons, Don Rowland pp112/3 shows BR D1/632, a purpose built sludge wagon [Ashford 1954/5, 23 vehicles]. Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons on British Railways, David Larkin p59 shows an ex-Midland Railway tender with side chutes. Both are side/end views only, I'm afraid.
Regards
Noel

LorikeeT

Postby LorikeeT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Dear Chris,

Like you I have often wondered what the top would look like as I suspect that loading was by flexible pipe that pumps the sludge into the wagon on the basis that the unloading gates imply that the sludge was scraped out, therefore straight gravity feed into the wagon would be slow and probably ineffective.

For your consideration,

Regards, Lorikeet.

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:10 pm

I suspect that loading was by flexible pipe that pumps the sludge into the wagon

Tenders, of course come with a suitable filling hatch as built.
Regards

Return to “Wagons”