Goods Yard Point Lever Position

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Armchair Modeller

Goods Yard Point Lever Position

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:16 am

Is there a standard for the distance that yard point lever should be set from the track, please? I am thinking of the kickover type in particular, but any information may be of help.

Noel

Re: Goods Yard Point Lever Position

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:39 pm

The lever obviously had to be clear of the loading gauge, and far enough away from the track that staff operating it wouldn't be hit be an approaching vehicle. Some had guards between the lever and the track, to protect staff. Where a point was immediately followed by another, it was common for the lever for the second point to be the other side of the diverging track from the first point, i.e. separated from the point by the intervening track, if it was not possible to safely put the lever alongside the point. It would be useful to consult photographs of your preferred prototype, I would suggest.
Regards
Noel

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks Noel

It was by studying photos that I wondered if any standards were laid down. Railways seemed to issue drawings and rules for many things. I just wondered if there were any official rules or guidelines.

You seem to suggest it was pretty much up to the man on the spot to decide what was best. I just wanted to be sure.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Generally the lever would come with a standard length of connecting rod, only if there was a problem using that would a blacksmith make up a different length.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:22 pm

There is one at the bottom right of this picture of a class 25 in the sidings at Liskeard - Seems to be what I would recall as standard distance :)

http://www.class25.info/photograph_pages/individual_photos/760615_25080_Liskeard.htm

Return to “Track and Turnouts”