Scalefour North 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
jasp

Scalefour North 2016

Postby jasp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:00 pm

There does not appear to be a list of traders attending, on the website.
Could this be sorted please?
Jim P

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: Scalefour North 2016

Postby John McAleely » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Yup. There's one in the linked guide, and I'm just waiting for an updated list (there have been one or two changes since publication).

Should get something up in the next couple of days.

In the mean time the guide is here (PDF)

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 am

It's astonishing how little discussion there has been about this show which is now less than two weeks away. Presumably it's because we all know how good it will be that there's no need to say anything!

DT

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 pm

The Bristol group is coming in force, only one member not coming - accommodation was booked back in December!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:35 pm

I've just been able to update the show page, so the traders are now listed, as are the bring & buy forms.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:22 am

I Was looking forward to coming up to Scalefour North. But looking at the journey from Chatham it will take me over four and a half hours to get there. Thanks to Southeastern/Railtrack shutting the lines down in the Medway Towns again. It's been like this every other weekend since the beginning of the year. So to get to Wakefield by 10:00 I have to catch the 05:13 bus from Chatham Station to Ebbsfleet Station and then a train to London and the North from there. So it will be 4:40 hrs there, 4 hrs at the show and 4:40 hrs back. Oh joy.

Dave

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:53 am

I'll be there both days manning the SGW stand for some of the time and stewarding at others.

I'll also be bringing two big boxes of redundant goodies, including ex LMS loco kits and bits and pieces and some DC controllers (Compspeed Rambler, Gaugemaster) made redundant by my change in modelling direction and conversion to DCC.

Ian

jasp

Postby jasp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Serjt-dave is fortunate that he can get to Wakefield for 10am, and it only takes 4 hours or so!
Oh that it was possible from Scotland.
Travelling on Saturday morning, the earliest one could get there would be around noon.
As I am working on the Scottish Line Societies stand I will be travelling tomorrow, so not a problem, but a friend is travelling on Saturday and the earliest train is around 7.30am, hence noon arrival.
Jim P

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:46 pm

The pedant timetabler in me has to point out that on Saturday the 0608 from Edinburgh Waverley is in Wakefield at 0923, which is a bit over three hours.
True, not everyone can catch something that early from Waverley, but connections run into the 0707, due Wakefield at 1022.

The service is hourly thereafter. Pretty good really, when you consider the service a decade ago. Pity they are Voyagers, though.

Jim

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Scalefour North 2016 - Starting in P4

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:00 pm

In a late addition to the Scalefour North programme, I'll be doing a "Starting in P4" demonstration over the weekend. That will include answering any questions that come along!

To give the weekend a little bit of structure, from my perspective at least, I'm aiming to cover four main themes:

1. Soldering

After recently doing the soldering demonstration at the Missenden Modellers Weekend, I'm fully prepared to spend as much time as needed to demystify what some people incorrectly judge to be a "black art". So if you'd like to talk about tools, techniques and tips, please just ask. I'll have plenty of scrap brass and whitemetal with me for people to go hands-on and have a try themselves. I'm determined not to let them go away unsatisfied!

2. Trackmaking

Straight track or pointwork. Copperclad, ply and rivet or plastic chairs. Have a look at the alternatives and decide what suits you best. For those new to P4, see how easy it is to put some trackbases together and have a length of flexitrack in finescale.

3. Locomotive chassis

Undecided between compensation or CSB? Not sure about what each means, or how to decide? I'll have examples of both on show, and demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses of each system. With a little bit thrown in about pickups, wheel quartering, and anything else that comes to mind.

4. Wagon building

A great way to access finescale modelling and develop skills and techniques. Again, what are the benefits of compensation or springing when building vehicles, or indeed why bother at all. I'll be looking at upgrading plastic kits to finescale standards.

So if you have anything that you'd like to discuss in these areas, or anything else for that matter, come along and say hello!

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jasp

Postby jasp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Jim Summers wrote:The pedant timetabler in me has to point out that on Saturday the 0608 from Edinburgh Waverley is in Wakefield at 0923, which is a bit over three hours.
True, not everyone can catch something that early from Waverley, but connections run into the 0707, due Wakefield at 1022.

The service is hourly thereafter. Pretty good really, when you consider the service a decade ago. Pity they are Voyagers, though.

Jim

Apologies to Dave.
I stand corrected by the extensive knowledge of my friend and colleague in the Caledonian Railway Association, Mr Summers
Not sure about Glasgow to Wakefield though. No doubt Jim will enlighten me over the weekend.
Dave, please come and say hello so I can apologise in person.
Jim P

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Jim Summers wrote: Pity they are Voyagers, though.

Jim

Ah well, the one I'm getting is the 0632 Dundee -- Plymouth which is an IC 125....... Unfortunately I have to slum it on the way home! Looking forward to the show, though.

Allan F

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:22 pm

As usual, a cracking show resulting in a lighter wallet and plenty of shiny brass making it's way back to the North East.

John

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Evenin' all,

One of the best S4 shows so far in my view....severe wallet slimming pangs. Even the snow over Holme Moss added to the occasion.....straightforward journey into the school car park and much banter/chatter exchanged with various.

Well organised guys!!

Dave

Maitland

Postby Maitland » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:34 pm

My first Scaleforum since about 1993, and thoroughly enjoyable. Every layout worth a long look, no less than three London Roads... (OK one of them was trade) but my vote went to Enigma Engineering in the end, as it's about the size of layout I'm looking at!

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:51 pm

Very good show I thought, though I only had a couple of hours there today - May have to return tomorrow and spend some money on proper things - All I bought today were some sheets of Exactoscale "road setts" (they are near enuff to represent breeze blocks in 2mm scale :shock: ).

I didn't vote cos all the layouts are good in their own way - so I can;t decide!

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:26 pm

What a wonderful day out, my excuse for attending with my wife was, i would be able to visit all the traders i wanted stuff from and wouldn't have to pay p & p.
Unfortunately i found more things to buy :shock:
It was great drive to and from Lancashire, the sun shining all the way. My wife even persuaded me to go to the Trafford Centre on the way home.
My only regret is I didn't get to talk to Paul about loco building especially pick ups, but, my wife is not very well at the moment and had to go and sit in the car, so didn't like to hang about.
Great show, wish it was nearer I would be back tomorrow
Regards

Terry

iak

Postby iak » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Excellent show.
First one in some years due to my dodgy health and well worth the trip.
Well done to all the organisers :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Rifleman

Postby Rifleman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:10 am

Just like to say well done to all involved.
Sadly could only make it on the Saturday but it was well worth the 236 mile round trip.
And I actually came home with money in my wallet.....not sure how that happened!

ChrisMitchell

Postby ChrisMitchell » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 am

A big thank you to James Dickie and all the team for organising a fantastic show, especially for the invitation to exhibit West End. I had a great time operating all weekend, and was so pleased with the many positive comments I received from so many people. I was especially pleased by the comments of a couple with their very young daughter, who I guess was less than 2 years old. They stopped by several times, as my layout was the only one she was interested in!

Of course I didn't get the opportunity to see much else, though I did manage to empty my wallet.

Thanks once again

Chris

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:33 am

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and returned south with lighter wallet but renewed inspiration - well done and thanks to all who made it happen. I took some pictures of Port Solway and Halifax Kings Cross, a few of which, somewhat titivated, may be of interest.
Solway-1.jpg
Solway-2.jpg
Solway-3.jpg
Solway-4.jpg
Halifax-2.jpg
Halifax-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 am

Port Solway signals very nice and very interesting. Good work.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:42 pm

A great show. Excellent layouts with big variety between them, convivial atmosphere, excellent catering from the lovely crocodile girls, spacious refreshment area, cups of tea still available even just half an hour before the end of the show...thank you, organizing team.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:50 pm

In all only one member of the Bristol group couldn't go, so that was twelve people at the show. Excellent show.

And it wasn't just the show, there was beer and curry in the evening. So we left the curry to go to a different pub, which wasn't very good. Then we end up outside a lap dancing club (free admission Sir), so we send Robin in to suss the place out. He comes out says the whiskeys were so and so price. What about the women? "What women" says Robin....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the organising team for putting on a fantastic show. I didn't see an awful lot of it as the Rumney Models stand was pretty busy but there was a wonderful atmosphere about the hall all weekend. Looking forward to next year already!

Return to “Exhibitions”