Mount Woodville Works

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
RobM

Mount Woodville Works

Postby RobM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:19 pm

After Manston Brewery I had thought that another brewery was in order to the extent that I started on the buildings. I have now changed tack.

Mount Woodville Works is a fictitious works set in the mid 1960's and produced salt glazed goods and fire bricks.

Clay is transported from the nearby clay pits by a narrow gauge railway to the tipplers where it is transferred to standard gauge wagons then onwards to the various mills. There is a possibility that there will be one or two narrow gauge sidings with clay tubs at the front left of the plans.

The main feature will be the Beehive Kilns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Woodville_Behive_kiln.jpg) with their associated modestly sized chimneys which created draught.

The work's standard gauge clay wagons were constructed of wood, no apparent suspension and the body able to pivot on one axle leaving the remaining axle on the rails.....but more on those another time.

site-plan.jpg

The layout will be 4' 8" x 2' 9" The track is already drawn up in Templot.
Back to more work on the drawing board.....
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Mount Woodville Works

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:08 am

Looks very interesting Rob, and if you have some narrow gauge workings in with the standard gauge, there will be a lot of interesting possibilities. Snall we put yuou down for Scaleforum 2018? :D

Terry Bendall

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 am

It's good to see another layout on the Standard Gauge Workbench.

If it's as good as Manston Brewery, and I'm sure it will...

Ian

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Terry.
Thank you………2018?…..let's see how it goes... ;)
Ian.
There will be a stack of pipes…….I'll try and remember the wedges!!!!

Quite a few interesting challenges especially scratch building the standard gauge clay wagons. No suspension, no buffers and a 15mm wheel base!

clay-wagon.jpg

Can't post any photos of the prototype…..copyright stuff……but anyone with the book Tramways and Railways of John Knowles (Wooden Box) Ltd will see where I've got the inspiration. Amazon have an image of the cover….http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Qz0BAQYnL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Rob, great project. Those wagons look like candidates for having one fixed and one pivoted solebar?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Andy,
It's a novel set up. The front axle is set just in front of the centre line of the wagon. It appears that locking pins are removed from the rear axle allowing the body to pivot about the front axle. Because the front axle is set just in front of the centre line the load is almost counterbalanced therefore one or two men could manually tip the body. There is an excellent photo in the book which also helped with the details under the body………and before anyone asks……..no, they will not be able to tip!!!!…..or could that be another challenge??….. :idea:
Rob

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Andy W wrote:Rob, great project. Those wagons look like candidates for having one fixed and one pivoted solebar?
With no suspension, one suspects that their normal method of progression had little in common with the 'Cheltenham Flyer'... Would it not be most prototypical to just build them rigid? Given their wheelbase, any form of springing, suspension or whatever is unlikely to have much effect, I would have thought.

Noel
Regards
Noel

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Noel,
I have drawn up a rigid 'hidden' chassis and will be doing a test build of 2 wagons…………proof of the pudding will be if they are able to be propelled through turn outs without derailing………..plenty of room under the wagon for loads of lead!!!! (Fingers crossed)
Rob

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi Rob

I build anything with a 12ft or less wheelbase rigid as I've found it doesn't need to be anything else. You can do longer wheelbases than that rigid if it's RTR (up to the size of a standard brakevan.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks Jim, that's reassuring………
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Well I have now made a start on the wagon, so far so good. The hidden chassis was fabricated from brass sheet and home turned bearings. There is sufficient room for enough lead to give the weight. It runs fine through turnouts. Currently working on the body......Archers rivets driving me nuts!!!

clay01.JPG

The chassis and body are styrene sheet and strip.
The wheels and axles are temporary....it has open spoke wheels and the pin point of the axle will need to be removed.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:10 pm

A few things had to change......the prototype couplings consisted of a hook suspended on chain bolted to the side frames of the wagon, impossible to couple/uncouple on the model so 3 link couplings will be used which also meant that wooden buffers had to be added. Here is the first build......

clay-wagon.jpg

Also work has commenced on the down draught kilns and their respective chimneys.

bevis

Postby bevis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:19 pm

Looking good Rob. Some photos of the prototype kiln may be inspiring for others. I was impressed seeing it in the flesh.
Bevis

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Bevis……copy right…….but Googling images gives an idea (down draught kilns)……..from a chat with Howard I (we) have sorted out the 'buckle joints' of the restraining bands using DIY 3 link couplings 'technology' so onto test build 2….just need some thinner wire……..currently waiting for the mould to set for the dome on top of the kiln….will post some photos when done. Howard also provided the answer to the tipping 'mechanism' on the wagon so may well try and replicate that albeit as a static display.
R

bevis

Postby bevis » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Rob, sorry two uses of the word prototype! I meant your model prototype not the real one. However I'm sure the new dome will make the wait worthwhile.
B

JFS

Postby JFS » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:49 pm

RobM wrote:Howard also provided the answer to the tipping 'mechanism' on the wagon ...

You are too generous Rob - I merely moved the speculation forward!

But I am really looking forward to seeing this one develop - so many unusual things on offer, and an excellent start already. Just re-reading your earlier post - does that mean there is a redundant part-complete brewery building going begging?

Best wishes,

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 am

bevis wrote:Hi Rob, sorry two uses of the word prototype! I meant your model prototype not the real one. However I'm sure the new dome will make the wait worthwhile.
B

Here you are Bevis, kiln with first coat of paint plus one completed chimney and others in the making. I'll post a close up later.
The kilns start life as 110mm waste pipe covered with embossed brick styrene. The dome was originally brick built but many were rendered with cement (fortunately for modelling purpose). The dome was built up using Das and shaped with a former. It was then cast in resin.

kiln-chimneys.jpg

JFS wrote:Just re-reading your earlier post - does that mean there is a redundant part-complete brewery building going begging?

Yup….. :)….there are 2, I'll save them.
R

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:35 am

Great stuff Rob

Will all 6 kilns be the same?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks Jim…….all kilns will be the same. There maybe more than 6 if there is space…. :)
R

bevis

Postby bevis » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Here you are Bevis, kiln with first coat of paint plus one completed chimney and others in the making. I'll post a close up later.

Knew they'd be worth seeing!
B

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:30 pm

3kilns.jpg

Three kilns now well on the way. Another 3, maybe 4 to go. Will get the kilns and chimneys done before starting on the track. Ken, NAG 'unco-ordinator', has volunteered to build the base boards so the track will be done at a later date.

kiln.jpg

Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:58 am

Progress so far......

Work continues on the 6 kilns and chimneys.
The Fitting Shop is complete and work on the small engine shed (new addition) has started.

Ken Kirk of NAG fame has completed my baseboards and excellent they are.....thanks Ken.

mw-01.jpg

My Silhouette Portrait has been put to good use producing the windows, roof tiles, doors, window
arches and roof louvre vents. It will more than pay for itself.

silhouette01.jpg

The windows are first drawn up using Corel Draw then imported to the Silhouette software.
An A4 label is loaded and the cutting started.

silhouette02.jpg

The windows are separated from the Silhouette carrier. The windows are then coloured using Letraset Promarkers.
The backing is removed and the windows stuck to clear sheet, cut out and fitted.

silhouette03.jpg

The finished windows. OK, could have made the opening sections, maybe another day.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Great stuff Rob. The use of the cutter is very interesting. Does the stickiness of the windows create a problem in attracting dust/hairs etc?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks Andy. No problem with dust or hairs, just like sticking an address label with a load of holes onto an envelope......
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Update.
As usual I'm flitting between the various projects.
The track has been laid on the right hand baseboard.

track01.jpg

Currently working on the tipping stage.......

tipping-stage.jpg

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”