Compressor airline moisture

essdee

Compressor airline moisture

Postby essdee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi all,

I have been doing some practice spraying this evening with the neo/Iwata TRN 2 I bought last year, using the AS 18-2 compressor. This is fitted with a moisture trap, so I was rather puzzled, when I disconnected the airline from the airbrush, and then later used the air line to blow through any remnant debris from cleaning the paint cup 'stem', to find droplets of moisture emerging in the air hose connector. There has been no evidence of moisture affecting the paint spraying itself. I am working in the spare bedroom, at an ambient 20degrees. The hose is braided, the 3m one supplied by Eileen's.

Am I missing something obvious - should I be worried?

Thanks for any advice,

Best wishes,

Steve

Mike Garwood

Re: Compressor airline moisture

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Steve

Is there any sign of water in the moisture trap? Is the moisture trap secured properly to the compressor? Have you run air through the hose till the moisture stops coming through?

Mike

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Mike,

Thanks, yes the water trap is securely fitted, and contains a small amount of water, just below the lip of the drain in the bottom of the vessel.

Not tried prolonged running to see what happens; will try that, thanks......

Best wishes

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:50 am

I would suggest it's the wrong time of year for spraying, too much moisture in the air. Wait till the summer.

Or you could invest in a de-humidifier, and run that in the same area you are spraying in.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:46 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks - yes I am aware this is the worst time for lots of factors (750ft up on Pennines edge - admittedly the 'dry' side-Ha!), and I am going to fair lengths to ensure warmth and reduce humidity. But, job to be done, unfortunately! Have you experienced a Pennine 'summer' recently, by the way....! Our greenery looks more verdant than SW Ireland at present.

I am heartened by the relatively low amount of moisture gathered in the trap so far, after several spray sessions through the year - barely enough to drain out. So that side can't be too critical - but why is it appearing in the line, after the trap? That's the puzzle?

BW

Steve

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 pm

My ageing, and very primitive compressor, like the basic AS 18-2, does not have any form or air reservoir. With a the water trap/regulator mounted directly on the compressor, the air tended to pulse and it spat drops of water on damp days. I was advised to fit a meter of 1/2 inch air line between compressor and the water trap as this would form a sufficient large reservoir to smooth out the pressure of the air flow and, relevant to your enquiry, ensure any water that did condense out did so before of the water trap. I don't have any problems now.

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Will,

Thanks-brilliant; I can understand what is happening now. I will take the measure you suggest, and meanwhile only attempt spraying on dry days (whaa...some hope!). This problem only appeared the first time I used the set up on a wet day for some test-sprays.

Cheers

Steve

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:07 am

Steve,

With an in-line moisture trap functioning correctly I wouldn't worry about waiting for a 'dry' day. For years I did all my airbrushing in a bathroom after running the shower full-tilt for several minutes - deliberately, it's an old trick I was taught to kill dust in the air and aid that 'immaculate' finish. Over all of that time I can count the number of occasions I found appreciable water in the trap on the fingers (thumb not needed!) of one hand. So I'd say 'spray on', even in the Perishing Pennines - just watch the temperature, though, and be prepared to warm the workpiece before application and remove it to a snug location (airing cupboards are ideal if domestic authorities allow) to harden off. HTH!

edited to remove the effect of fingers and thumbs!
David L-T

essdee

Postby essdee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:36 am

Dave,

Thanks indeed - for the most unexpected of tips! Our ambient humidity for the last few months has been high, but not that high......

Yes, I am following advice to warm the room (21deg min), paint and workpieces thoroughly; the prepared workpieces are kept in a cleaned icecream container next to the central heating boiler, and warmed immediately prior to spraying with a hairdryer, then returned to the covered container to harden off. I should say that I have been getting some very pleasing paint finishes during practice runs so far, under these conditions, so I can't be too far off the required standard....

The 3m hose was up-ended and left to drain on a door hook, and I have had no repeat moisture problem, during tests while the tail end of Hurricane/Storm Tom/Dick/Harry sweeps past us.

I will press on, heartened - but I will follow Will's helpful suggestion to lessen the odds against me as well.

Thanks again to you all for your advice - you really do learn something new every day...

All best

Steve

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:03 pm

I have no experience of airbrushing but some of paint spraying. I believe moisture can build up in the airline between the water trap and airbrush so whilst researching an airbrush setup, I thought one of these may be useful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-MINI-AIR-FILTER-Moisture-Water-Trap-1-8-Fittings-Hose-Paint-Spray-Gun/191539700682 which should fit an Iwata as it appears the same as others on the same site that say they will. If I am wrong, please speak up and save me some money!!

In my case, it would be belt and braces as the compressor has a water trap.

regards
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:35 pm

I would guess that these things would certainly stop the brush spiting water, although I'm not sure if they would affect how well the airbrush fitted into your hand. However having some sort of air reservoir in the system also prevent the air pulsing through the brush and gives a better finish. If a were to buy a new compressor I would not now buy one without some form of reservoir before the regulator/water trap.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:29 am

I had the same thought as Will - this 'trigger' type of trap appears to be popular at the moment, but I would want to see how it affected the feel and balance of the airbrush before converting to one. The benefit, however, is that they screw in and out easily, and there would be nothing to stop you adding a short length of hose above the trap, with suitable connectors, if it made the brush unwieldy. I'm not personally convinced of the theory that water condenses within a short(ish) length of hose unless the pressure is released dramatically. It seems more likely it occurs in the actual compressor.
David L-T

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 pm

dal-t wrote:I had the same thought as Will - this 'trigger' type of trap appears to be popular at the moment, but I would want to see how it affected the feel and balance of the airbrush before converting to one. The benefit, however, is that they screw in and out easily, and there would be nothing to stop you adding a short length of hose above the trap, with suitable connectors, if it made the brush unwieldy. I'm not personally convinced of the theory that water condenses within a short(ish) length of hose unless the pressure is released dramatically. It seems more likely it occurs in the actual compressor.

David,
After experiencing some water problems in my early days reacquainting myself with this art form, I opted for the moisture trap that attaches to the airbrush thus avoiding the problem cause by cooling in the coiled air hose. I've had not problem with this set up and could honestly say that it has no adverse effect on holding the brush - I've an old premiair G35 and an Iwwata Revolution - both of which are fine with it
Jon

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:24 pm

Winander wrote:I have no experience of airbrushing but some of paint spraying. I believe moisture can build up in the airline between the water trap and airbrush so whilst researching an airbrush setup, I thought one of these may be useful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-MINI-AIR-FILTER-Moisture-Water-Trap-1-8-Fittings-Hose-Paint-Spray-Gun/191539700682 which should fit an Iwata as it appears the same as others on the same site that say they will. If I am wrong, please speak up and save me some money!!

In my case, it would be belt and braces as the compressor has a water trap.

regards

I use this type of trap fitted directly to the airbrush, so far no problems. I have several different airbrushes and a grit blaster, each has it's own moisture trap.

Phil

Return to “Painting and Weathering”