RTR P4

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
jim s-w

Re: RTR P4

Postby jim s-w » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Iain

That's all I was asking. Including the other wheels is a good idea

I do thing RTR P4 is a chicken and egg situation. There's plenty of good logic as to why not but you can apply that to anything can't you. If you don't start with a RTR loco because you don't have RTR track where do you start? You can't start with RTR track because you have nothing to run on it.

Perhaps the only real solution is a complete p4 train set? :D

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:50 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Dave,

it was mentioned early on in the RMweb thread by someone who had attended the launch event and posted lots of photos.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -24/page-1

Unfortunately the manufacturers website, while containing lots of superb photos and marketing "speil" is rather light on prices, etc.

Perhaps you can provide a definitive answer.

Jol

Edit - Posted before I saw Iaks contribution!

Hi Jol,

My only involvement with the SLW class 24 project was as an occasional advisor on prototypical matters. This role could potentially lead to misconceptions about what I know or have access to, hence, clarifying the situation. With the model already released I don't have any reason to be told any more than anyone else but I do understand from loyal customers that emails are coming out from SLW with all necessary details.

Dave

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Pete at C&L are shortly to provide ready to run P4 turnouts; and indeed EM + OO ones too.

In truth, these are "made C&L/Exactoscale kits" rather than manufactured as such but it will enable the first ready to run trainsets if someone were to pop them in with the class 24 - now that is progress!

They are not yet available and the only built ones that Pete had at Warley were in OO (I guess he sells 95% in OO too!) but I can tell you that they were definitely there. They include a reinforcement sheet under the switch and onto the sleepers below the closure rail (they split at this point otherwise) and looked pretty smart.

Pete did mention a price to me, which was based on the cost of the kit, the cost of assembly and a pretty moderate retailer's mark up. I won't mention it as this will vary from turnout size to turnout size, so I could well give a false impression.

It is an experiment; so I suspect "use it or loose it" will apply!
Mark Tatlow

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:
...Unfortunately the manufacturers website, while containing lots of superb photos and marketing "speil" is rather light on prices, etc...

I have just visited the website, and agree with Jol. However, if you go to the "contact update" page you will find a plea for patience to those who are now making enquiries, possibly as a result of the recent posts. Further details, including pricing will be available within a few weeks.

Seasonal greetings to all, Peace and Good-will and all that...
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:51 pm

RTPlonk P4 turnouts. This is great news and could be that extra stepping stone I read about earlier that some need.

For me however it won't be a consideration just yet, maybe later when I start the proper layout.

The few turnouts I have turned out (funny, not :? ) I really enjoyed building so I'll happily build some more when I need to, but...I can see the option of buying them a boon when you have another 5 or 10 points to make.

I also imagine the price scaring me somewhat, will have to see I guess.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:13 pm

For me the fun is in the building. That may include adapting rtr items. So a wealth of off the shelf items wouldn't appeal to me. I might just be awkward, but I suspect I may be typical of many P4/fine scale modellers.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:48 pm

The fun to me isn't particularly in the building, or rather not in the having to build - But I do like things to be "90% right" so anything that makes things simpler (not necessarily easier) is always going to be a good thing to me.

I spend my days dreaming up and making things for a living, (obviously not small trains, I said living!) so the creative urge is not so strong as the urge to recreate; and to do so as well as I can.

Unless its my N Gauge stuff running about for fun....

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:25 pm

There doesn't seem to be any need for matching RTR P4 track -- owners of this model appear to happy to run their model in grooves on the baseboard:

It's not clear where this fits into a model of a railway when there isn't a rail in sight.

The attraction of P4 is surely the track? I don't see how this display is going to encourage anyone to take up P4 if there is no track shown under it. It could be worse -- those awful publicity photos showing models standing on their flanges.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:43 pm

I couldn't agree more, to me it's the track and wheels that suckered me in and pulled on my [inseart thing/s here] until I finally gave in and joined the society.

Happy decision too. :thumb
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:It's not clear where this fits into a model of a railway when there isn't a rail in sight.

Perhaps it's got a super dooper stay alive decoder on board? :D

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:There doesn't seem to be any need for matching RTR P4 track -- owners of this model appear to happy to run their model in grooves on the baseboard:

It's not clear where this fits into a model of a railway when there isn't a rail in sight.

The attraction of P4 is surely the track? I don't see how this display is going to encourage anyone to take up P4 if there is no track shown under it. It could be worse -- those awful publicity photos showing models standing on their flanges.

Martin.

...even worse Martin is that this is a picture taken on my mantlepiece on the day of the launch, just to show it off to those who will have to wait to find one of these works of art, and the model still has OO wheelsets in place. I have the P4 ones to hand but work has just got in the way this week. As the owner of numerous 4mm models I find the way in which this one has been released, with a grooved baseplate, to be the most imaginitive and attractive packaging yet.

Dave

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:49 pm

So does the p4 one not come with the p4 wheels fitted then Dave? Just included in the box? Ironically I was actually thinking earlier that perhaps manufacturers providing p4 wheels in thier spares range might be a good thing.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:55 pm

...as indicated in the exchange with Iain yesterday Jim, I am unaware of the packaging arrangement for P4 customers ordering a 24...mine was a OO version to which a set of P4 wheelsets was added...best to check with Phil if you're thinking of ordering.

Dave

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm wondering if the gear and bearings match the bachmann one as Phil could do a nice little sideline in the correct pattern wheels for bachmann customers too. I suppose those buying the p4 ones could sell the 00 wheels to 00 modellers too to get some pocket money back.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:04 am

....my image of the 24 may not be the sharpest but you can see just how well the OO wheelsets look. The feel of the entire model is similar....easily the most pleasure that I've gained from a new release.

Dave

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:33 am

jim s-w wrote:I'm wondering if the gear and bearings match the bachmann

I'd wondered that as well as, if they did, I could buy the OO gauge version as it is slightly cheaper and then fit the Ultrascales I've already got for the Bachmann 24...

John

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51 am

....the SLW P4 wheelsets with their correct tyre wall thickness add a lot to the appearance of the loco for me John.

I'm a big fan of Ultrascale wheelsets, have numerous sets under existing stock and have more on order, however, providing that the SLW sets run true on this new model, I'll be sticking with them in this instance.

Personal preference.

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:14 am

Tor Giffard wrote:....the SLW P4 wheels add a lot to the appearance of the loco John...definitely a case of spoiling the ship for a ha'peth 'o' tar.
I'm a big fan of Ultrascale wheelsets normally but providing that the SLW sets run true, I'll be sticking with them in this instance.
Dave

Ultrascales have the holes in. They are accurate for a 24. Even if the gear is different you could still swap the gear John (assuming the SLW one has 2mm axles). I think it's a bit odd to suggest that ultrascales will spoil the model really Dave.

Having said that you'd probably get more than £20 selling the ultrascales on anyway. Some put a lot of importance on the perceived extra quality.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:35 am

...it may be that the model would run better with Ultrascales JIm...in which case I'll be using them....providing that they fit. However, the model looks so well with the complete SLW package that I'm going to stick with that if possible.

For someone who has recently stated on Modellers United that he is "sticking with the Bachy model cos his salary/pension won't run to an SLW" variant it seems odd that you're plugging Ultrascales. I'd have thought that the Gibson ones were cheapest.

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Tor Giffard wrote:...it may be that the model would run better with Ultrascales JIm...in which case I'll be using them....providing that they fit. However, the model looks so well with the complete SLW package that I'm going to stick with that if possible.

For someone who has recently stated on Modellers United that he is "sticking with the Bachy model cos his pension won't run to an SLW" variant it seems odd that you're plugging Ultrascales. I'd have thought that the Gibson ones were cheapest.

Dave

I'm not. I was merely replying to Johns suggestion that he might use ultrascales because he has them already. I completely agree that changing the supplied ones for the sake of it makes no sense but then I've long held the belief that with RTR stuff in p4 only change stuff if you need too. It was your good self who claimed that ultrascales would spoil the ship.

I don't have a pension, I'm decades away from that unfortunately :cry:

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:04 pm

....just to assist the potential wheelset exchangers on here....re the SLW 24

2mm axle on both Ultrascale and SLW wheelsets (OO axle top)....obviously the SLW gears have to be used....
P1020195.JPG

P1020192.JPG

....and comparing SLW & Ultrascale (silver tyre) P4 wheelsets..the Ultrascales have overthick tyre rims and the SLW ones highlight it...

P1020199.JPG

This image adequately demonstrates the correct proportions of rim to wheel....
2.PNG

Image courtesy of Lost Albion on Flickr

P1020198.JPG

....it is the scale tyre rim thickness which sells the SLW variant to me but in the event of poor running I will not hesitate to switch to the Ultrascales. ODs are within .02mm.

5min P4 conversion done...all rims sat solidly on P4 track level to plate glass....
P1020200.JPG

P1020201.JPG

....there are 6 lugs on each tray keeping the wheelsets in place...beware they are fragile....
P1020202.JPG

....pick ups to adjust....
P1020203.JPG

...SLW P4 RTR 24, hope that Santa leaves one under your tree this year...
P1020206.JPG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 12 times in total.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Cheers gents, I've already got half a dozen sets of the Ultrascales (and half a dozen Bachmann 24s for that matter). I'll likely get one of the 24s as RTR P4 and see what it is like, as Jim says, I can always sell the Ultrascales...

John

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:08 pm

....£203 for a DC version with P4 wheelsets inc. postage Mike....you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Tor Giffard wrote:....£203 for a DC version with P4 wheelsets inc. postage Mike....you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Dave,

yes I would, I couldn't realistically run it on an Edwardian LNWR layout.

And which of those wheels pictured is the more accurate?

Jol

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:26 pm

In reply to Jol

....tyre thicknesses obviously reduced with wear Jol. Personally, I'm much more convinced by the SLW version. Looking at a variety of images of 24s on the Derby Sulzers site I can't see any thick enough to match the Ultrascale tyre rim thickness.

In answer to Mike....the £203 price is for P4 wheelsets fitted from mid December...DCC is available but you'd need to look at the price list below

1.PNG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Products”