Scaleforum 2015

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Andrew Ullyott

Re: Scaleforum 2015

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Had a very pleasant time doing the 'Starting in P4' demo this weekend. Was able to chat to a few folks and impart what little knowledge I have (some conversations were quite short...). Thanks to all who listened and pretended to be interested.
All in all it seemed a very good show with a good mix of layouts, traders and demonstrators.
From where I was sitting, the show seemed a little quieter than usual on the Saturday but busier on the Sunday, but as others have said the hall can swallow people.
Thanks to the team of organisers for making it a very enjoyable weekend.

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 pm

When it comes to totting up the attendances, it would have been +1 for Sunday, but for the fact I received a call bearing unwelcome news as I approached the outskirts of Aylesbury, and had to divert to other matters.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 pm

I had a stroll along the Aylesbury branch of the Grand Union canal before adjourning to Scaleforum on Friday, and mused on the problems of accommodation at Scaleforum and S4N. Ah, how about a narrow boat? Starting in Wakefield on the Calder & Hebble, then the Huddersfield Broad Canal, then the Macclesfield, the Trent & Mersey, the Coventry Canal, the Birmingham & Fazeley, the Oxford Canal, finally the Grand Union and the Aylesbury Arm. Both ends within walking distance of the venue. Who says Aylesbury is not well connected? Can't find a route planner on the GPS to tell me how long it would take, but should get back to Wakefield in time for S4N....

I can't see where the canal is for Leatherhead so going back there is out of the question now I'm thinking about the narrow boat solution......
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Tim V wrote:I had a stroll along the Aylesbury branch of the Grand Union canal before adjourning to Scaleforum on Friday, and mused on the problems of accommodation at Scaleforum and S4N. Ah, how about a narrow boat? Starting in Wakefield on the Calder & Hebble, then the Huddersfield Broad Canal, then the Macclesfield, the Trent & Mersey, the Coventry Canal, the Birmingham & Fazeley, the Oxford Canal, finally the Grand Union and the Aylesbury Arm. Both ends within walking distance of the venue. Who says Aylesbury is not well connected? Can't find a route planner on the GPS to tell me how long it would take, but should get back to Wakefield in time for S4N.....

Looking up the rout in my favourite canal journey planning software, very perfectly do-able assuming you have between two and three weeks to do it (one way) and traverses all the best water way tunnels. although you will have to remember you have to book a passage through Standedge.

Total distance is 228 miles, 6¾ furlongs and 218 locks. There are at least 8 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 63 small aqueducts or underbridges and 11 tunnels (Bates Tunnel (95 yards long), Sellers Tunnel (350 yards long), Standedge Tunnel (5698 yards long), Scout Tunnel (205 yards long), Supermarket Tunnel (164 yards long), Woodley Tunnel (176 yards long), Hyde Bank Tunnel (308 yards long), Harecastle Tunnel (2919 yards long) , Newbold Tunnel (250 yards long), Braunston Tunnel (2042 yards long) and Blisworth Tunnel (3056 yards long)).

This is made up of 157 miles, 6¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 58 miles, 3½ furlongs of broad canals; 12 miles, 5¼ furlongs of small rivers; 159 narrow locks; 59 broad locks.
This will take 128 hours, 37 minutes which is 18 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes at 7 hours per day. For initial calculation purposes (before adjusting for such things as overnight stops) this is taken as 18 days of 7 hours and 8 minutes each.

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 am

Tim V wrote:I had a stroll along the Aylesbury branch of the Grand Union canal before adjourning to Scaleforum on Friday, and mused on the problems of accommodation at Scaleforum and S4N. Ah, how about a narrow boat? Starting in Wakefield on the Calder & Hebble, then the Huddersfield Broad Canal, then the Macclesfield, the Trent & Mersey, the Coventry Canal, the Birmingham & Fazeley, the Oxford Canal, finally the Grand Union and the Aylesbury Arm. Both ends within walking distance of the venue. Who says Aylesbury is not well connected? Can't find a route planner on the GPS to tell me how long it would take, but should get back to Wakefield in time for S4N....

I can't see where the canal is for Leatherhead so going back there is out of the question now I'm thinking about the narrow boat solution......

As someone who lived on a narrowboat for 6 years I can tell you the biggest drawback to this otherwise excellent idea is where to store the layout/house the modelling! The solution would be a pair with the modelling in the butty and accommodation on the motorboat, which would be fine for some of this route but would double the lock work on the narrow canals. ;)

Wills info is very interesting - it would be a great route, although to do it all your limit (from memory) would be 60' length (Huddy Broad) and 7' width (most of the rest except GU). Braunston tunnel was always fun - it's 14' wide and two way, has a kink in the middle where the two digs met (or nearly didn't) and we always met someone coming the other way at that point. We got wedged twice which was great fun that far underground in the dark, when your lights are dipped to avoid blinding the on-comer!

If you were feeling brave (and less atmospheric - sorry Trent-lovers) you could also try going the other way from Wakefield via Leeds, up the tidal Trent then down the GU Leicester section to the GU mainline at Norton. Probably quicker but not (in my view) as good a journey.

Meanwhile back on the thread topic, this was my first visit to Scaleforum (simply due to the distance from this end of the country). It won't be my last as I really enjoyed it. Thanks and well done to all.

Chris

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:06 am

Captions welcome please!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:12 am

stevecarr wrote:Captions welcome please!

"Fair cop Guv, it was me with the red spray can"

Cheers,

iak

Postby iak » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 am

Got any fish? :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:36 am

I would just like to add my voice to those praising another excellent Scaleforum - very much worth every penny of expenditure in whatever form. All of us over here in the Borders (Shropshire etc.) had a great time, and yet again it seems I was able to gain a lot more from it than I was able to give.

Hardly stopped meeting and talking to people. Thanks again to those who put their spare time into organising it

Gavin (in a damp grey Ludlow - Scaleforum yet again claimed the nice weather)
Scalefour News Editor

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 am

stevecarr wrote:Captions welcome please!

Anyone found my fingers ?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 am

Is it "take the Mickey out of Tim week"?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:45 am

Press the button on the top.....
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Postby 45609 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:23 am

Andy W wrote:Is it "take the Mickey out of Tim week"?

It's on for the whole of Septimber.....

Also instead of trying to make humorous comments I'll also add my thanks to the Scaleforum organising team. A good job done by all.

Morgan

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 am

45609 wrote:
Andy W wrote:Is it "take the Mickey out of Tim week"?

It's on for the whole of Septimber.....

Morgan

Down in BS4 its on permanently :twisted:

Broad Gauge Society slaves had an excellent Scaleforum, thanks Terry.

We earnt our keep with some undemanding stewarding, had loads of interest in BGS capers and talked ourselves out. Lubricated with copious London Pride we enjoyed decent Greek grub on Friday and traditional curry on Sat.
We almost had time to admire the models, pick Bernie's weird brain and useful tips and do our shopping!
Bernie's tips on products need a panel display like used to happen at Leatherhead.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Wheres my teeth!

Gordon A
Bristol

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Hmmmph
Tim V

Venturer

Postby Venturer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Pleased to see Paul's comments above. It was indeed influenced by the "panel display like used to happen at Leatherhead"
It was my first time flying under my own flag.
When I arrived on Friday, I had no idea how it was going to be set up.
Consequently, at closing time, I had no idea how to take it down and pack it away. Took an age!
If it ever appears anywhere again, it will need a bit more of the "panel" i.e pictures/flat items and a bit less of the individual bits.
I was certainly busy talking to people and it was very pleasing to see many of them making notes of products and techniques.
Anyone on here get a free sample graphite stick?

Some way back in the thread was Mr Webmaster's photo of chrisf minding the stand.
In his defence, he would never have done this with advance notice!
He responded to a spur of the moment request for help, which enabled me to resolve some logistics/accommodation challenges more speedily.
Thanks, Chris.

Great to see so many positive comments about the show in general.
Well done Terry and team, thanks for an excellent weekend.

Looking forward to next year.

Bernie

Erioed deallwyd yn fwriadol.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Venturer wrote:Pleased to see Paul's comments above. It was indeed influenced by the "panel display like used to happen at Leatherhead"
It was my first time flying under my own flag.

And what a cracking job you did to boyo, like the tip on wheel cleaning...I'd never have thought of that. See you soon I hope.

Mike

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:42 pm

I thought it was a really excellent event, and thoroughly enjoyed it (both days).

It was fully up to the high standard we have come to expect of Scaleforum.

I went home inspired, and determined to get on with model-making. (And when you think of it, Scaleforum is perfectly timed at the beginning of what is seen by many as the 'modelling season', with the evenings drawing in and fewer outdoor distractions.)

By the way, how many of you spotted the EM loco in the competition display case? Nothing to do with me, but the fact that various people [including one T.Venton of this parish] were unable to identify which model it was tells us a lot about the 'difference' (in visual terms) between P4 wheels and EM wheels.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Perhaps they were all distracted by Jons deltic or they didn't think it was a big deal?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 pm

jim s-w wrote:Perhaps they were all distracted by Jons deltic or they didn't think it was a big deal?

:D :thumb

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 pm

I do know which engine in the display case was EM, because I photographed it, but I won't let on and spoil the fun...

In the meantime, here's my own entry for the caption competition.

Philip

IMG_0207 s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Scaleforum had a real "buzz" about it this year with plenty to enable visitors to see how things can be done, get ideas, be inspired and meet friends old and new.

Congratulations and thank you to everyone involved in putting on such a fantastic weekend, it's very much appreciated.

For me, one experience summed up what Scaleforum is all about. I was talking with Danny Cockling on the Sunday when a gentleman approached the Society Stand and as Danny had just started a conversation with someone else i asked the gentleman if I could help? With no hesitation he said " I would like to join the Society please". Danny was still busy (when is he not?) so I furnished our "new member to be" with a form and pen and chatted to him as he completed his details. He told me he came to Scaleforum as a visitor and was so inspired by what he saw that he had decided to take the plunge. I noticed that he had several bags of goodies from various traders including some bits to build some track. I was pleased to discover that our "new member" had already made contact with his local Area Group who were there with Coldfair Green and they had been very encouraging. We had a chat about the all the support, advice and information available that belonging to our Society brings.

By now Danny was free and "closed the deal" and so it leaves me to welcome new member Ralph to the Society. I hope that you enjoy all of the benefits that being a member brings and I look forward to meeting you again soon.
Steve Carter

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 pm

martin goodall wrote:By the way, how many of you spotted the EM loco in the competition display case? Nothing to do with me, but the fact that various people [including one T.Venton of this parish] were unable to identify which model it was tells us a lot about the 'difference' (in visual terms) between P4 wheels and EM wheels.

Quite right, I couldn't spot the loco, that was because it had already been removed from the showcase when I went to look :!:
Tim V

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Steve Carter wrote:Scaleforum had a real "buzz" about it this year with plenty to enable visitors to see how things can be done, get ideas, be inspired and meet friends old and new.

Yes, Steve; this exactly sums it up.

By the way, the miscreant who displayed the EM loco is an occasional contrbutor to this forum, so maybe he will 'fess up' in due course. For my money it was a very nice model, and I have no problem with the gauge/profile of the wheels.

Return to “Exhibitions”