Scaleforum 2015

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Horsetan

Re: Scaleforum 2015

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Meanwhile, just preparing for the Sunday..... :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:35 am

I had a very enjoyable day out yesterday. Here's a few pics I took:

IMG_0995.jpg

The initial group waiting to get in first thing!

IMG_1159.jpg

Barry Luck's Plumpton Green

IMG_1032.jpg

Mark Tatlow taking advantage of the test track

I also noticed our retrospective photographers out and about. I hope to post that after I've been away for annual holiday, so in 2-3 weeks time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:15 am

My first ever S4um visit and it was a thoroughly enjoyable day out. Great mix of layouts, demonstrations and trade support in a very well lit hall with plenty of seating. The coach transfer from the railway station worked well. Good to catch with friends from far and wide.

Thank you to all of those who gave up their time to make this all possible.

Nestor

Postby Nestor » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 am

To all concerned
This was my first Scaleforum, having been a member since some time in July, and I have to just say what a thoroughly enjoyable day it was. Arrived at opening (half 10) and left at close (half five). Learned some terribly useful information so thanks to Andrew Ullyott for some very positive encouragement and tips on jigs and the like. Also to Roger Sawyer with some very helpful pointers on soldering (a mystery to me for a very long time) and also Mike Bonwick on the Weathering desk. I didn't get a chance to look at many of the other demonstrators or help desks but what I saw was marvellous.
Only downside is that my bank account is considerably smaller...

Nestor

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Had a wonderful day yesterday, loved the mix of subjects being demonstrated, not an empty seat in sight. The running on all the layouts was exceptional. It would be a massive shame if we were to move from this fabulous location. Well done to Terry and the team for another success in my eyes. Roll on next year!

With grateful thanks for truly marvelous day out. On a personal note, it was even better to catch up with some old friends!

Mike

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Just to say a big thanks to all the team that organised this years fabulous event. I had a very enjoyable day and it was nice to put faces to names and meet those who I chat to on the forum. Thanks very much for all your efforts.

All Best

Dave

P.S. Like Nestor, bank and credit card somewhat abused. When the wife finds {as they always do} she will have something to put in the freezer in my cellar! My dead carcass.

Steve4RoseGrove

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Agree with the positive comments. Excellent show. Very good trade and layouts. Space, relaxed atmosphere, learnt a lot, chatted to many friends. Bought my belated birthday present, stocked up on other stuff.
What's not to like? To all those who couldn't/didn't/wouldn't make it - you missed a lot.
Thank you all for putting on this highlight of the year.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:29 pm

It was my first time at Scalefourum in which I not on the Wild Swan stand, although I was sitting in on the Penbits stand while Ian popped out a few times to do shopping etc.

I had plenty of time to hop around the show, and it was good to see the show as more of a visitor than trader. It did seem brisker on Sunday morning this year than last year.

I seemed to spend quite a bit of money on bits and pieces and was inspired to get on with some modelling.

Seating areas seemed a good idea, as I did need them at times!

For some reason I seemed to walk past the layouts on the outside walls, maybe I just prefer them in islands. I also think it would be nice to have a layout as you enter the hall rather than demos and displays, something that was also commented by someone else.

I hope the visitor numbers have improved on last year.

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:10 pm

The tables and chairs were an inspired idea, I wonder who suggested them? Instead of standing around clogging up the aisles, just sit down and gossip.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Who won the best layout award? A tough competition I think.

Timara Easter

Postby Timara Easter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:15 pm

As a quick taster of what will be in the retrospective, here's a view from above (and not the usual vantage point of the upper level seats), thanks to the use of a pole for the camera. I did note, with amusement, that the DRAG guys had used exactly the same type of pole for their signpost.

_MG_25354b.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, even if it was made a little harder for me by having to use a stick to get around on (for those not at the show, my health took a bit of a bad turn earlier last week).

A personal success was being able to test out my very first P4 sprung chassis (Dave Bradwell N2) on the test tracks, thanks to Phil Baxendale's help with some pickup power. Pleased to say it ran very nicely indeed, so I'm glad I made the switch to P4!

Cheers,
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Ah....a distant view of something green and red on the test track...
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Looks like Bill Bedford is in full flight!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:18 am

A new day dawns after a very full weekend. Two days spent at Scaleforum were once more two days very well spent. Whatever can be said about footfall and numbers, Tim's birdseye photo reveals activity, and lots of it. People are talking to one another and for me that is a prime purpose of the event. To whom do they talk? Fellow modellers, a broad selection of traders, the owners and operators of the layouts and of course the demonstrators. This facet of the event is always of interest and this year's participants were well chosen. The DRAG area lured me several times and shows what area groups can achieve by the simple act of joining forces. A sprinkling of tables and chairs for weary bones and muscles was welcome. When fatigue strikes it is not always feasible to resort to the refreshment area, but the latter served its purpose more than adequately.

It is notable that the extent of what was going on kept two official photographers very busy and I shall be interested to review their work when the retrospective is ready. In Another Place there are pictures taken by someone who seems just to have swooped in, grabbed his shots and scarpered. This is not a particularly shrewd way of investing £9 but you know what they say about a fool and his money. Gentle reader, you and I know that this sum is excellent value for money for two days' business and pleasure. The members' admission price, therefore, is even greater value ...

Chris

[edited to re-insert a bit of text which vanished!]

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:10 am

Chris was more involved than he let on, clearly "Not the usual methods" by Bernie Baker...

IMG_1182 (1).jpg

:D

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:18 am

Back at the other end of the country again this morning (on time, of course), I just have to say once again that the travelling is all worthwhile. A well-thought-out show, with plenty opportunities to watch, listen, express views, sit, poke, prod, try out, be stimulated, and catch up with the Scalefour Family.

Congratulations to Terry and his little helpers, and let's not forget the splendid traders who are so much part of the whole event.

Jim

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:36 am

Caption competition, what have Steve Duckworth and James Moorhouse seen?
IMG_7054.JPG
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Postby 45609 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:48 am

Tim Venton?

chris58

Postby chris58 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 am

Morning all
Just like to say thanks on behalf of my co operator and myself regarding the great great weekend we spent operating SALTFLEET at scalefourum . We both agreed that it is a different kind of show and certainly a new experience for us both of us were overwhelmed by the support we were given and the interest shown by society members and the on site organising team. My fears that I might be out of my depth were quickly dispelled and that there were society members with less experience than even me helped raise my confidence. So once again many thanks to you all. Oh we'll work to do.
Kind regards
Chris Dales
And on behalf of Pete Siddall ( cooperators )

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:51 am

45609 wrote:Tim Venton?

I need to sort out that like button...

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:27 am

The DRAG formation demonstration team had a good weekend, and there was virtually a continuous steady stream of visitors through our 'clubroom' looking at the embryonic layout sections, model displays, demonstrations of track weathering and static grass applicators and information boards. John Farmer, David Brandreth and Andrew Eaton were particularly busy, and we hope we gave some idea of the mutual benefits available in an active area group.

My only regret is not having my camera on me when David sneaked off to have himself laser-scanned in Victorian country bumpkin outfit late on the Saturday!
Rod

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Just like to add my applause to Terry and his team, the layout teams, demonstrators and traders, for a thoroughly enjoyable Saturday at Stoke Mandeville - I only wish I had been free to come Sunday as well; despite having the full day there, I barely visited many of the attractions on display. Great chats with great company, many valuable tips; a real 'buzz' to the atmosphere.

Came away from B&B stand by 10.40 hugging a copy of P.D.Hancock's 'Narrow Gauge Adventure' for a mere 'song' - worth the trip for that alone?!

I came to the show distinctly jaded after a rather 'tough' year, and went away completely revivified for forthcoming winter projects. Two Martin Finney green boxes, maturing quietly for a twelvemonth, will shortly be broached, as I return to my own 'jobs list'.......

Here's to 2016's show,

Best wishes

Steve

Ah yes, the estimable Mr. Venton! (See you back of the bike shed after school, Tim.....); it seems highly probable that Mr.V. has produced a picture recording the time Tim and I were on a Talyllyn working party, and Tim embedded his pickaxe in the sleeper to be dragged elsewhere, with such gusto that he spent the next fifteen minutes trying to extricate it......surely it can't have been an image of my teenage Triang L1 conversion to an LMS 2P, with cardboard cabside inserts - can it?

Anyway - here's my own caption image for you!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Derek wrote:Who won the best layout award?

In third place was Witton Junction, second was Coldfair Green and first by a substantial number of votes was Plumpton Green.

Other awards were as follows:

The MRJ Chalice to Jonathan Hughes for his finely detailed Deltic.
The Eileen's Emporium Award for scratch building to Ian Everett for the buildings, but especially the viaduct, on Clecklewyke.
The Scalefour Society's Unsung Hero award to Keith Norgrove for his outstanding contributions to this Forum.

It is very pleasing to see so many positive comments about Scaleforum and particularly to hear from those who have not been before. We hope that everyone who came enjoyed themselves even if they choose not to post their comments.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Scaleforum 2015

Postby John McAleely » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:50 pm

I have removed a comment on this thread that our moderation team felt was both offensive and off-topic.

In order for the thread to make sense, several follow on comments have also been removed.

The individuals concerned have been informed.

Andy W

Scaleforum 2015

Postby Andy W » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:05 pm

"The Scalefour Society's Unsung Hero award to Keith Norgrove for his outstanding contributions to this Forum." Well done Keith, well deserved.

Great show again. I echo all the positive comments above. I wish I could have stayed longer.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Exhibitions”