Scaleforum 2015

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Horsetan

Re: Scaleforum 2015

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:39 pm

Oh well, in that case "Jimmo" will definitely run :thumb

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jo Palmer

Postby Jo Palmer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 am

My layout Lower Exbury will be at Scaleforum this year, operated by the very capable team of my parents Jane and Brian Pearce and my brother David.

Scaleforum may well be the last exhibition for my layout, but I hope it won't be. I am putting it up for sale (please see my separate post in Sales) and hope that someone will like it enough to want to take it on and continue showing it at exhibitions around the country. I have had to turn down many exhibition requests for the layout due to work pressures and so it could get a lot more exposure than it's had to date.

I wish everyone attending Scaleforum a very happy show and hope that it is a great success.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm also looking forward to the show, just over a week to go now!

2015 Full details: 19th and 20th September:

I've just added details of the transport options.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:09 am

Just one week to go until Scaleforum 2015 and exactly 168 hours from the time of this posting the exhibition hall will be open and everyone making the last minute preparations for what will be yet another great event. We hope to see lots of you there. :thumb

Unfortunately two late cancellations from traders, both for personal reasons mean that both 247 developments and Railroom Electronics are unable to attend. At this late stage it has not been possible to find replacements but we will be making good use of the space. In the past a few people have commented that they would like space to sit down actually in the exhibition space itself so this year this has been provided. We will even provide tables as well at some sitting places, another thing that has been requested. There won't be a lot of siting space since as always the space is full and we like to fill the space with exhibits but it is a step in the right direction. The furniture has to be hired in so it is also an additional cost but we feel it is important to try and respond to such requests when we can.

In another improvement, there will be a large blue banner over the main doorway of the Stadium so that those who had difficulty in identifying which building Scaleforum is in should be able to find it more easily this year.

As always Scaleforum will have lots to see - fine layouts, more demonstrations that we have had for a long time, lots of traders and the opportunity to meet old friends and make new ones.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:05 am

Is there a floor plan available on line yet just to see where everything is in the hall?

I shall be going to the Hop Pole http://www.villagepubintown.com/ after set up on Friday and maybe later on Saturday food is good and the beer even better for those staying at the stadium a taxi is around £3.50 if anyone wants to join me for a drink there you are most welcome.

David

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:27 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Is there a floor plan available on line yet just to see where everything is in the hall?

Not yet. I'm expecting that will be in the guide PDF, when that goes up.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Sadly I can't attend this year, so I won't be able to provide any photos. I have to work and we are short staffed (government cuts and a hopeless management team). Hopefully S4 North and Scaleforum 2016.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:09 pm

I've just uploaded the guide.

scaleforum2015guide420.jpg

Download the PDF

If you just want the floorplan, it's on the traders page. The guide can be found on the Scaleforum 2015 page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:55 am

I note that the Heyfordian bus service from Aylesbury station is operating on a half-hourly cycle, but with no departures apparently timetabled for 11.15 or 12.15 on Saturday 19th Sept. There is also a comment that there is no service between 12.56 and 13.58. That's about the same hour-long interval between services as is shown from 1045 onward, so does the comment imply that there will be 11.15 and 12.15 departures even though they are not shown on the timetable?

I ask because a brisk transfer between Paddington and Marylebone would get me onto the 1012, arriving Aylesbury 1109, and potentially an extra half-hour at the show.

If there's no 11.15 Heyfordian service I might well take a taxi, but in that case can I avail myself of the Heyfordian bus for the return journey to the station? If so, what is the one-way fare, please?

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:00 pm

I do not know too much about the shuttle bus times but the service bus 300 to High Wycombe runs every twenty minutes on Saturday there is a short five minute walk from the bus stop to the stadium. A taxi from the station to the stadium will be around £3.50

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:17 pm

John Palmer wrote:I note that the Heyfordian bus service from Aylesbury station is operating on a half-hourly cycle, but with no departures apparently timetabled for 11.15 or 12.15 on Saturday 19th Sept

Having checked the information, there is no statement that the exhibition bus service will be at half hourly intervals, it just happens to be at about those time intervals. Because we are using a commercial company who have to follow the law in respect of driver hours and statutory breaks the service provided will be at the times stated on the web site. David has kindly given details of the service bus times which are also given in the travel directions on the Society web site.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:26 pm

We regret to announce that for personal reasons which do not need to be made public, Longwood Edge will not now appear at Scaleforum. At this stage it is not feasible to find a replacement, so there will probably be a bit more space to sit down. In due course we will invite the owners to bring the layout to a future Scaleforum

Terry Bendall

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:We regret to announce that for personal reasons which do not need to be made public, Longwood Edge will not now appear at Scaleforum. At this stage it is not feasible to find a replacement, so there will probably be a bit more space to sit down. In due course we will invite the owners to bring the layout to a future Scaleforum

Terry Bendall

Unfortunate but unforeseen things can, and often do, happen.

There's still plenty to entertain and delight visitors and I am looking forward to the weekend very much.
See you there :thumb
Steve Carter

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Thank you, David and Terry.

It was mere speculation (and hope!) on my part that a half-hourly cycle of services might be maintained throughout the morning, even though not shown on the published timetable. As that's not the case then I'm happy to stump up for a taxi to the Stadium so as to get some extra time at the show.

However, that then gives added point to my other questions, as the train/bus timetable document published by the Society says that "There is a charge of £2.00 for the return journey and this will be collected from users of the bus on arrival at the Stadium." There's nothing to indicate that Heyfordian will be content to provide a one-way passage from Stadium to station (or their fare for doing so) and, in order to catch my return train, I need to be sure whether they will.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 am

John Palmer wrote:There's nothing to indicate that Heyfordian will be content to provide a one-way passage from Stadium to station

The coach company are working to our brief and there is no reason why you cannot use it for a one way journey. The fare will be collected by stewards, not the driver, as you get off the coach on arrival so anyone who makes the return journey only would probably not see a steward collecting at that time of the day. In such instances we hope that anyone who uses the coach service for a return journey only would make a donation at the Society stand as a contribution to the cost of providing the service.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 pm

As you might imagine, our ticket processing facilities aren't quite up to live processing 'on the day', and in order to verify tickets on the door, we need to have some manual processing time before the show.

As such, online ticket sales will close tomorrow (I plan around midnight), Thursday 17th September. Tickets will remain available on the door, of course!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Due to ill health we could do with two people to help sell tickets on Sunday at Scaleforum. If you are willing to help please contact me at scaleforum@scalefour.org This of course means that you would gain entry without paying but you will have to do some work. There would however be some free time during the day.

Terry Bendall

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Terry, many thanks for clarifying the bus arrangements.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:44 pm

I have now closed the online advance ticket sales, so we can do our housekeeping before the show.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Just to say thanks to everyone concerned for a really excellent show. :thumb

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:35 pm

On my way home after an excellent day out. I arrived, very comfortably by Heyfordian, with a number of problems to solve, and have left with solutions to them all and several unexpected ideas to push my modelling onwards. Very many thanks to all involved with organising, exhibiting, demonstrating and trading.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:25 pm

I too have just got back from the show. An excellent event, many thanks to those who organised it and to those who gave up some or all of the day to ensure it went well. I echo Andrew's comments, I came with questions and went away with very good answers/suggestions.... more time at the workbench! :thumb

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Great day - thanks to all.

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Many thanks to all who organised this and gave up their time. I fronted up to several of the demonstrators and was very grateful for their answers, explanations and suggestions. Friendly and encouraging and interesting. Well worth the journey (thanks for the shuttle bus) well worth being a society member, well worth the entry fee, well worth the sore feet at the end of the day.
Andrew
London SE4

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:00 pm

What an excellent show.

A great balance between layouts, traders, demonstrators etc.

Many thanks to the organisers- led, so I am told, by Terry. Also many thanks to the exhibitors and demonstrators for taking the time to talk to me today. I think I learned more today than in the whole previous year. I have already tried some of the things I learned today, with great success.

This is certainly the only exhibition that I've felt compelled to come back to for the second day.

Derek

Return to “Exhibitions”