Stanier brake van chassis

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Ian Everett

Stanier brake van chassis

Postby Ian Everett » Wed May 27, 2015 9:12 am

Can someone please remind me where I can source a kit for a long wheel base Stanier brake van chassis? I am sure I have recently seen a new kit announced but cannot remember by whom.

Thanks

Ian
Last edited by Ian Everett on Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim s-w

Re: Stanier brake van chassis

Postby jim s-w » Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 am

Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 am

Thanks, Jim, that's the right type but I thought there was one more recently announced by another manufacturer?

Ian

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed May 27, 2015 11:29 am

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 pm

That's the one.

Many thanks.

Ian

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed May 27, 2015 7:37 pm

That's not a chassis kit though

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 pm

jim s-w wrote:That's not a chassis kit though

Cheers

Jim

Doh - thanks for saving me a lot of dosh and a red face. :oops:

Ian

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Anyone know where I can obtain axleboxes and springs to complement the Bill Bedford Stanier brake van chassis kit? I've just trawled all the way through Supplier.txt without seeing what I'm seeking so any help will be greatly appreciated.

David C

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Some bits here, but not axleboxes and springs, which suggests that the original rtr ones are not so bad, perhaps?
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 pm

David Catton wrote:Anyone know where I can obtain axleboxes and springs to complement the Bill Bedford Stanier brake van chassis kit? I've just trawled all the way through Supplier.txt without seeing what I'm seeking so any help will be greatly appreciated.

David C

Do you have a prototype picture to hand, so we know what we are looking for? I'm afraid that a quick Google didn't throw up anything clearly labelled as what you are after.

I'm afraod that I have Midland Wagons at home, not LMS Wagons, as it is after my period of interest.

If they look anything like this:

IMG_8131.JPG

Then I have plenty of them.
Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Postby 45609 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:13 am

LMS coach bogie springs and axle boxes Paul? Axle box looks about right but not enough spring laminations or J hangers. This is what we're looking for....

image.jpeg

ISTR the axle box casting in the now out of production Connoisseur kit for the LMS standard 20T brake van was good. I do not know if this was Jim McGeowan's own master or from a third party source. Might be worth asking him? However, this casting had the W iron included so perhaps not ideal.

Keith maybe right that the RTR one might be good enough.

Morgan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 pm

I spoke to Jim on the phone this afternoon and he told me the relevant moulds had been consigned to oblivion some time ago so no joy there.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. The original chassis (of the Airfix/Hornby) model has the stepboards moulded integrally with the axleboxes so they would be almost impossible to separate cleanly. Added to which the brakes are parallel to the W irons so not pretty and also difficult to pare away.

David C

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:11 am

David Catton wrote:Added to which the brakes are parallel to the W irons so not pretty and also difficult to pare away.

Not impossible though Dave. I have done two Airfix LMS pattern brake vans and carefully pared back the brake gear with a sharp scalpel blade. One became a middling LMS build with short weight boxes, Parkside narrow duckets and single shoe brakes. The other BR built one with deep weight boxes and twin shoe brakes salvaged from an Airfix brake van kit.

I'm sure Keith Norgrave had one of these vans at Scaleforum 2014 with Masokits bouncy bits jiggled into position.

There are two very good, and complementary, articles that help with modelling Stanier brake vans.
The first is mainly prototype information and was in Modellers Backtrack Feb/March 1994.
The second, which covers modelling Stanier vans using the Airfix/Hornby offering, is titled 'Commercial Brakes' by Ian Fleming and was published in BRM July 1996.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:53 am

I'm sure Keith Norgrave had one of these vans at Scaleforum 2014 with Masokits bouncy bits jiggled into position.

Yes, I have fitted Masokits spring suspension, but have done nothing about the brake shoes as yet.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:05 pm

45609 wrote:LMS coach bogie springs and axle boxes Paul? Axle box looks about right but not enough spring laminations or J hangers. This is what we're looking for....

image.jpeg

Again, possibly not enough laminations, but this looks like the correct J-hanger and axlebox:

IMG_2049.JPG

I opened the "To Paint" drawer on my bench and this Slaters Midland fruit van was sitting there:

IMG_2052.JPG

It's just had a respray after being one of my "Ebay finds", so the next step is lettering and weathering. I didn't build it, so I don't know exactly how the chassis goes together but it looks like the springs and hangers are moulded with the solebar, and the axlebox is separate.

If it looks close enough, you could try tracking down a scruffy/part-built model to cannibalise, or maybe find some parts around somewhere.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Where to Find?”