Shelfley

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
MikeH

Shelfley

Postby MikeH » Sun May 03, 2015 2:31 pm

So for my first foray into P4, and first into model railways for about 17 years (yikes!) I was advised to start with something simple, and create a SGW layout to see what I can do and cannot before building something.. larger.

Because at the moment I don't have much storage space I decided on something that could be stored out of the way and not take up too much space, So I decided on a 6ftx1ft (approx) shelf as I have room on the wall for one. Because I need to use this as a testing ground for trying out not only trackbuilding but converting of rtr oo stock and hopefully kitbuilding, and needing to try this on steam, diesel, coaches and wagons. I decided on a 60's based small country station at the end of a branch line and to include a siding for wagons, This way I can have a steam loco push/pull and a 2 car dmu, and maybe a small shunter loco. I tried to fit what I could into a small space (those B7's really eat up space) and i'm still not sure that this is the most idea setup, and certainly not the most entertaining, but it's the best one I could come up with atm.

Oh and iv'e not sorted out the sleepers or timbering (see, i'm learning) out yet
Attachments
shelfley.png

David Knight

Re: Shelfley

Postby David Knight » Sun May 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Well done Mike, first steps taken :thumb . You could save a bit of space (or create extra room) by eliminating the turnout in front of the road bridge and just have a single line going out to your fiddle yard. If the extra space is not an issue the turnout could be reversed to create an 'Inglenook' type of layout and add a bit of operating interest. Your fiddle yard can be either a sector plate or traverser and can be used as part of the operating section of the layout.

HTH

David

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks, Some good ideas there, I will have a little play around with templot. I like the fiddle yard idea as only 1 can run at a time and it is for testing afterall :)

Update: Here's another version of that idea with the single FY
Attachments
shelfley2.png

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Mon May 04, 2015 6:17 pm

and another slight variation on it, Not sure this one would work as well as a single platform branch terminus though?
Attachments
shelfley3.png

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon May 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Shelfly2 has a lot to be said for it. It can be worked with push-pull and goods can be picked up and shunted around. Shelfly3 has more track but much of it may remain unused unless there is a connection at the fiddle yard end. Iain Rice has put out quite a few books on track planning based on prototype arrangements or a quick scan of the 18.83 layouts and SGW plans may also provide inspiration. When I'm looking at a plan I usually ask myself, "OK, the train is in the station, now what?". If the answer is reasonably obvious as to where wagons need to go and be picked up from it'll probably be fun to operate, if not, maybe not so much..

HTH

David

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Mon May 04, 2015 7:28 pm

David Knight wrote:Shelfly2 has a lot to be said for it. It can be worked with push-pull and goods can be picked up and shunted around. Shelfly3 has more track but much of it may remain unused unless there is a connection at the fiddle yard end. Iain Rice has put out quite a few books on track planning based on prototype arrangements or a quick scan of the 18.83 layouts and SGW plans may also provide inspiration. When I'm looking at a plan I usually ask myself, "OK, the train is in the station, now what?". If the answer is reasonably obvious as to where wagons need to go and be picked up from it'll probably be fun to operate, if not, maybe not so much..

HTH

David

Thanks for your input David, I think I will go for number 2, as like you said it allows for a few combinations and wagon shunting etc. Should be good for a first test!

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 am

Number 2 is an Inglenook which is a classic shunting puzzle. It's probably the simplest track plan you could have that sill has operating potential.

There's lots of information on them here: http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ ... enook.html
And here's a P4 one from the SGW: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=3745

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Mon May 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Well the bits and bobs have arrived and tomorrow I shall have a little play about with a small straight section. Now as for keys, they usually point in the direction of oncoming trains right? What about a single branch line?

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:33 pm

MikeH wrote:Well the bits and bobs have arrived and tomorrow I shall have a little play about with a small straight section. Now as for keys, they usually point in the direction of oncoming trains right? What about a single branch line?

See the digest. http://www.scalefour.org/members/digests/dl.php?f=23-5-2v1-3.pdf
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Mon May 11, 2015 9:10 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
MikeH wrote:Well the bits and bobs have arrived and tomorrow I shall have a little play about with a small straight section. Now as for keys, they usually point in the direction of oncoming trains right? What about a single branch line?

See the digest. http://www.scalefour.org/members/digests/dl.php?f=23-5-2v1-3.pdf
Regards
Keith

Thanks, That's just what I was looking for!

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Tue May 12, 2015 7:45 am

MikeH wrote:Now as for keys, they usually point in the direction of oncoming trains right? What about a single branch line?

Keys were put in from the opposite side of the chair from the place were the linesman found them on the ballast.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa.biz

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Well after thinking about this design im not sure It will be the best... Time to start thinking again. Just over 4ft isn't much space for a station + points so maybe I should go for something more shunty.. *puts thinking cap on*

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:51 pm

So having decided to take a much more simplistic step for my first P4 layout I think a inglenook shunting puzzle would be best, So here is my new design (still unsure what I will do scenery wise yet)
Attachments
shelfleyinglenook.png

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”