Mousa Models LNWR Small Glass Wagon

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
jon price

Mousa Models LNWR Small Glass Wagon

Postby jon price » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:16 am

I just received two of the latest Mousa Models wagons. These are LNWR D39 Small Glass Wagon. They are cast in resin, which makes for an excellent representation of the complex iron framing. Turnbuckles are etched and chain provided. Buffer housings appear to be high quality 3D prints, and steel heads and copper springs are provided. The wagon body is cast resin, and suspension is a single etched plate, (so no problems of alignment), with Bill's tried and tested wire sprung suspension system. There is also a page of instructions and diagrams relating to the assembly of the frame.

118 of these wagons were made between 1895 and 1900, mostly on 16' bodies, but a handful on 15'6". This kit is the (much) more numerous 16' version. Main user of these wagons was Pilkingtons, and so they fit nicely in my Wirral 1906 time/placeframe, but with the prevalence of plate glass for shop windows in the late Victorian and Edwardian periods these wagons could appear anywhere. The glass was transported in a flat wooden box which was held upright between the frames, and this needs to be sourced seperately.

As far as I can see the kit is an excellent representation of the wagon, which can be seen in LNWR Wagons v1. The cost is £22.50 per wagon. This might at first (or might not) appear expensive for a small wagon, (it is £7.50 more than the D1 on which it is based) but to fabricate the framing would take me a minimum of ten hours, which gives an hourly rate of 75p and I think I'm worth more than that . So my verdict is that this is an excellent kit.
P3210997.JPG

P3210998.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

dal-t

Re: Mousa Models LNWR Small Glass Wagon

Postby dal-t » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 pm

I can't tell from your 'top down' photo of the body moulding, Jon, but has Bill managed to correct the corner-plate detail since his D1 offering? I found it an unnecessary faff removing 4 bolt heads to replace with 3, but they are a surprisingly prominent aspect of any side-on view, even in 4mm.
David L-T

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 pm

I received a couple of these wagons as well today and have to say how pleased I was with the quality and definition of the resin castings. I believe the price to be reasonable for a model with sprung buffers, suspension and drawgear. Just need to work out how to get some weight in this minimalist wagon, probably with a lead weight in a wooden packing case would be the most obvious.

The surprise was Bill supplying some instructions, long may it continue.

SteveT

jon price

Postby jon price » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Yes David, the corner plates have the correct six bolts. And yes the instructions were a pleasant surprise, but then the support castings are not the easiest thiungs to interpret if you didn't have them
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 am

This has prompted me to wonder what has happened to my order for two kits. I need a quick fix to get back into modelling following some major surgery.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:03 am

dal-t wrote:I can't tell from your 'top down' photo of the body moulding, Jon, but has Bill managed to correct the corner-plate detail since his D1 offering?

The current batch of D.1 wagons has had the corner plate details corrected.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:18 am

Great stuff, I'm now looking forward to building one as well - and yes, Steve, my solution to the weight problem is usually to put it in the 'load', although Jol will show you that it can be done very elegantly with a tailored piece of sheet lead hidden under the floor.
David L-T

Return to “New Products”