Scalefour North 2015

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Wizard of the Moor

Scalefour North 2015

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Scalefour North 2015

Saturday 18th April 2015 – 10:00 – 17:00
Sunday 19th April 2015 – 10:00 – 16:00

Queen Elizabeth Grammar School
154 Northgate
Wakefield
WF1 3QX

Admission £7.00
Scalefour Society members £6.00

Layouts

Blackgill – classic North Eastern Region in the latter days of steam. Watch out for the Consett iron ore trains.

Colinton – A former Caledonian branchlike on the outskirts of Edinburgh, featuring the original Scotts Porage Oats mill.

Danby – An uncompressed model of this charming station on the picturesque Esk Valley line, set in the heyday of the North Eastern Railway.

Eastwood – Lancashire & Yorkshire Edwardian elegance on the line between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge.

Elcot Road – Network Southeast suburban services and freight traffic come together in this compact terminus.

Kerrinhead – An LMS station on the border of Lancashire and Yorkshire in the 1920s.

Portchullin – The summer of 1974 on the Kyle of Lochalsh line.

Demonstrations
Tom Foster – Locomotive weathering
Bob Gledhill – 3D printing
Howard Bolton – Metalwork skills for novice trackbuilders
Ian Macdonald – Etched wagon construction
Keith Bradbury – Modelling carriages
Alan Buttler - 3D scanning

Visiting Societies
HMRS
The LNER Society
Missenden Railway Modellers
The Scottish Line Societies

Traders
247 Developments
Acc+Ess Protocab
Alan Gibson (Workshop)
Ambis Engineering
Bill Hudson Transport Books
Brassmasters Scale Models
C & L Finescale Modelling Ltd
Cambrian Models
Coastal DCC
Coopercraft
Dave Bradwell
David Geen Model Railway Kits
Eileen's Emporium
High Level Models
Hobby Holidays
Judith Edge Kits
Lanarkshire Models & Supplies
London Road Models
Model Railway Developments
Mousa Models
Northeastern Kits
Parkside Dundas
Penbits Model Railways
Pete Goss Figures
RMLectronics
Rumney Models
Scalefour Stores
Shawplan
Wizard Models
Last edited by Wizard of the Moor on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Dickie

My workbench

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: Scalefour North 2015

Postby John McAleely » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 pm

I've just uploaded the show guide, for those readers and guests who won't have received a copy with Scalefour News :-)

guidecover220.jpeg

Download the guide here: (PDF)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:56 pm

If you're looking to see what's at Scalefour North, and you're also a habitual user of our links pages, you'll see those people attending now get a little 'badge' next to their name if they are coming to the show:

badges.png

For example on our traders and suppliers page. It also works on the other pages, but there are less examples to see...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:29 am

John McAleely wrote: It also works on the other pages, but there are less examples to see...

. . . fewer examples to see.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:23 am

David B wrote:
John McAleely wrote: It also works on the other pages, but there are less examples to see...

. . . fewer examples to see.

And who said that P4 modellers weren't pedantic ;-)

Cheers!
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 am

Not pedantic but 'getting it all right'.

I notice that Waitrose have signs saying '10 items or fewer' whereas in Sainsburys they say, '10 items or less'.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:29 pm

David B wrote:Not pedantic but 'getting it all right'.

I notice that Waitrose have signs saying '10 items or fewer' whereas in Sainsburys they say, '10 items or less'.

Yes, I suppose waitrose customers are always travelling at fewer than seventy miles an hour, or their younger customers are asked if they are fewer than 18 years old when alcohol is in the basket. :-P

Sainsbury's customers have one less thing to worry about as they shop ;-)

I've been reading grammar books recently. This particular rule (although not perhaps my original faux-pas) is given short shrift.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:12 pm

The fewer said the better?? ;) ;)

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm

I really must get that like button organised!

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:40 pm

David, glad to see someone cares! I remember John Humphreys on the Today programme getting hot under the collar about less and fewer, nice to see to see Waitrose getting it right! Now, did we have fewer than 50 visitors at the CK Skills day yesterday or less than 50? Not sure which is right, I'm ashamed to say... Whatever, we all had a good time. Photos on the CK day thread to follow when I've downloaded them.

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Philip Hall wrote:Now, did we have fewer than 50 visitors at the CK Skills day yesterday or less than 50? Not sure which is right, I'm ashamed to say...

Fewer. You could count them.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:59 am

John McAleely wrote:
Yes, I suppose waitrose customers are always travelling at fewer than seventy miles an hour, or their younger customers are asked if they are fewer than 18 years old when alcohol is in the basket. :-P

I've been reading grammar books recently. This particular rule (although not perhaps my original faux-pas) is given short shrift.

Who was it who said that learning "correct" grammar is all about teaching class prejudice?

(...asks one who dismisses anything written with an errant hypostrophe :ugeek: )

Ian

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:22 am

John McAleely wrote:
David B wrote:

Oh tut, tut - in this context, both "speed " and "age" relate to a limit, therefore "fewer" is completely incorrect and "below" or "over" are appropriate - hence, if I am breathaliSed, I will always be "below the limit" and if my age is challenged I will say I am "over 18" (those were the days!

Good thread this one :D

Cheers,

Howard

PS should that be IS appropriate? Just took me three edits to get the spilling mistook de-bugged...

Winander

Postby Winander » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:37 pm

JFS wrote:
PS should that be IS appropriate?

I would say "below" or "over" is appropriate, "left" and "right" are appropriate.

But I used to be indecisive and now I'm not so sure.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:14 pm

The "fewer than" v. "less than" argument is easily defeated by changing into multiples or fractions.

Is 9 eggs less than 1 dozen or fewer than 1 dozen?

Is 1 half-teaspoonful of sugar in your tea less than 1 teaspoonful or fewer than 2 half-teaspoonfuls?

It's odd that transgressions in the opposite direction never generate the same amount of froth. "more than" and "greater than" are frequently muddled up with hardly a hackle raised.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

David B

Postby David B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Shall we move on to debate the appropriate use of 'amount' and 'number' ?

I am going to have a glass of wine, an amount greater than half (a glass). :-D

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

fractions are not so problematic Martin.

A half is less than a whole, and the fact that each is contained in one teaspoon sized container is irrelevant. If you are counting return trips though it doesn't matter how much you have in your teaspoon, one is fewer than two. In railway terms a half load in one wagon is less than a full load in two wagons, but one wagon is fewer than two
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

As an additional attraction, a railtour "hauled by steam locomotives 61994 The Great Marquess and 61264 or 62005" is due to go through Wakefield Kirkgate late on the Saturday afternoon.

http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/the-buxton-spa-express

Bryan

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:55 pm

On the subject of additional attractions, I am happy to say that there will be a couple of additional traders present:

Lanarkshire Models & Supplies
Pete Goss Figures

Also, to complement Bob Gledhill's demonstration of 3D printing, Alan Buttler will be demonstrating 3D scanning of people. If you are interested in having a miniature representation of yourself on your layout then come dressed in an appropriate outfit and pose for the scanner :)

Unfortunately Greystar Publications will not be able to attend the show. In their place there will be a static exhibit of Standard Gauge Workbench layouts, most likely Royston Vasey by Ian Everett on Saturday and Manston Brewery by Rob Milliken on Sunday.
James Dickie

My workbench

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Wizard of the Moor wrote:Also, to complement Bob Gledhill's demonstration of 3D printing, Alan Buttler will be demonstrating 3D scanning of people. If you are interested in having a miniature representation of yourself on your layout then come dressed in an appropriate outfit and pose for the scanner :)

Having seen this in practice at the Missenden Spring Weekend, I have to say that it is incredibly impressive.

If you would like to participate, do bring along a shovel, flag or other prop.

And for some of Alan's work from Missenden, have a look at his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/modelu3d

You might even recognise some of the suspects...
Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:07 pm

C&L have posted to say they will not be at Scalefour North due to an accident:

http://www.finescale.org.uk

Hoping Pete is soon recovered.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Unfortunately, despite living further north than Wakefield, and expecting to go, I am now going to be in Devon, so wont be able to see what is going on, or buy stuff. Ah Well.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:03 pm

The 3D figure printing is truly amazing. The technology is astounding, and its potential uses are mind blowing.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:23 pm

These are the results of Alan's trial scans at Missenden last month. Having been there when the scans were done, it adds something when one is able to actually name all the 'models'! Those of you who were at Missenden might like to see how many you can name.

If you fancy being scanned and printed (the printing takes longer and will not be done at the weekend), bring your costume and present yourself. It could be both informative and entertaining.

A couple of poses in the middle picture look a little odd because props - broom and shepherd's crook - have not been added yet.

P1190148-2.jpg

P1190110.jpg

P1190155-2.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:11 am

David B wrote:These are the results of Alan's trial scans at Missenden last month. Having been there when the scans were done, it adds something when one is able to actually name all the 'models'! Those of you who were at Missenden might like to see how many you can name.

Tony Gee complaining to John Gowers how much b****y coal he had to shovel last shift?

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Exhibitions”