ultrascale conversion kit for the Dapol Western?

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
John Fitton

Re: ultrascale conversion kit for the Dapol Western?

Postby John Fitton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Horsetan wrote:It won't be released until he finds a solution for the brake gear. I ask him every once in a while about this, and nothing has progressed yet...

Good point, and I had noticed that on his site. However, as the loco refuses to derail so far during about an hour of testing I am not in a tearing hurry for the springing unit. I think I have a Brassmasters detailing unit somewhere with etched brakes, so if I get anxious I may ask for a bogie etch with the proviso that I install the brakes and give any ideas back to Justin.

JF

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:06 pm

I did ask Justin about the possibility of incorporating the Brassmasters brakes, but I'm not sure whether the idea went down particularly well.

Also, I haven't asked Brassmasters whether they would sell the brake gear etch separately.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Horsetan wrote:I did ask Justin about the possibility of incorporating the Brassmasters brakes, but I'm not sure whether the idea went down particularly well.

Also, I haven't asked Brassmasters whether they would sell the brake gear etch separately.

I agree, it doesnt make much sense to mix items from different suppliers; I am completely in favour of integrated solutions, ready to run P4 with sprung chassis, buffers, etc. (I have a dream.....)

I will wait for the reality!

JF

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 am

John Fitton wrote: it doesnt make much sense to mix items from different suppliers;

But in some cases, and it looks like this is one, this may be the only way to get what you want. Without knowing very much about either product, I would have thought that it would be fairly easy to fit brake gear to an etched bogie.

John Fitton wrote:I am completely in favour of integrated solutions

Probably the best way, but if it isn't available, we have to do the best we can with what is out there, or wait until the ideal solution comes up which in some cases may be a very long time. :)

Terry Bendall

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:.....or wait until the ideal solution comes up which in some cases may be a very long time. :) ....

...and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Horsetan wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote:.....or wait until the ideal solution comes up which in some cases may be a very long time. :) ....

...and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

I have an Athearn PA chassis with Ultrasacale wheels, intended at one time as the power unit for a Lima Western with Brassmasters heavy duty mods to the body....If the Dapol chassis does start to act up in service I will threaten D1038 with a major rebuild!! Seriously though, the Athearn chassis has a lot going for it. All wheel pickups, phosphor-bronze wheel bearings, and a drive train design to taker some serious horsepower. Just a bit noisy, but nothing that a lot of Labelle grease won't cure. Just a major rebuild....

JF

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Isn't a pa1 too big john? It's wheelbase matches a class 31 at 7ft + 7ft but a westerns only 6ft1 + 6ft1

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:47 pm

jim s-w wrote:Isn't a pa1 too big john? It's wheelbase matches a class 31 at 7ft + 7ft but a westerns only 6ft1 + 6ft1

HTH

Jim

Ooops! You are absolutely right Jim, sorry! I have a set of bogies from another Athearn loco whose wheelbase is very very close to that of the Western, and I would be hacking the PA and inserting these "other" bogies. Sorry for the confusion, and very well spotted!

Somewhat unfortunately though, the PA is very slightly short for the english electric bogies, and in my view would have to be stretched by a mm or so to be a decent representation when viewed side on.

John F.

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Jonathan Hughes wrote:Mine turned up neatly packaged (in card) this week.... so you can expect yours soon I would hope.
Just need to get a loco now!

Has it really been this long? This is a project that wont now be pursued, so they're available (in bag as-new) along with a blue western if anyone is desperate.

Return to “Product Information”