Coffman Right Clamps

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Warehouseworker

Coffman Right Clamps

Postby Warehouseworker » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Hello,
I am considering buying some Coffman Right Clamps and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using these items. If so, please could you tell me if, in your opinion, they are any good or a waste of money. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Keith Whye

David B

Re: Coffman Right Clamps

Postby David B » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:29 pm

I have two and find them very useful when soldering wagon bodies together or other right angle joints. There is an article in the second (imminent) issue of Finescale Railway Modelling Review where they are used.

On RMWeb, Brinkley uses one for wagon making and another post refers to a simpler home-made version. You will need to scroll down each of the links.

The problem may be getting hold of them now Finney & Smith are packing up or have packed up. You may need to order them from America.

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 pm

I have read in another post where they are to be sold by Branchlines, but as they have no web site and they are not shown on his blog, a phone call may be the only way to confirm.

SteveT

Warehouseworker

Postby Warehouseworker » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Hello gentlemen,
Thank you for your prompt replies to my enquiry. The information you have given me is very useful :)
With regard to availability, I emailed Branchlines recently asking about Right Clamps and this is the reply I got:-

We have taken on Finney & Smith’s stock of Right Clamps, so have some available, and we will be getting new stock in the future.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Keith Whye

David B

Postby David B » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 am

That's good to know about Branchlines. Now all is needed is a website!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:32 am

Yes they are very useful for all sorts of jobs where things have to be joined at 90 degrees.

davidb wrote:The problem may be getting hold of them

Well we now know of a source, but making your own is not a difficult task and is a good way to develop skills in working with metal.

Terry Bendall

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 am

The simple clamps using aluminium angle and clips mentioned by Davidb work a treat - and they're cheap!
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:30 am

There are also, of course, York's Magnetic Mates, which can do some of the jobs the Right Clamp is intended for - but again, not cheap, and something I have planned to try making a 'home grown' version of, when I get the legendary Round Tuit.
David L-T

jasp

Postby jasp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 pm

I have purchased same from Micromark in USA. They also have some interesting tools.
Even with carriage they are considerably cheaper than UK. Relatively small value orders do not appear to attract additional UK duties.
My only connection is as a satisfied customer
Jim P

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:47 am

dal-t wrote:There are also, of course, York's Magnetic Mates, which can do some of the jobs the Right Clamp is intended for - but again, not cheap, and something I have planned to try making a 'home grown' version of, when I get the legendary Round Tuit.

Cor... a use for Society back to back gauges at last......

Return to “Tools and Techniques”