Gardening

Moderator: nigelcliffe

nigelcliffe

Gardening

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:23 am

( Sorry for the grainy photos, I really must remember to carry a decent camera to group workshop meetings. So these shot on my iPod, which struggles. I'll do better ones another day ).

One of the earlier posts shows the crossing keeper's cottage sitting on a bare patch of earth. The crossing keeper is a keen gardener, growing produce means not having to purchase food on the meagre pay.

There are lettuce, some cabbages which are just starting to grow (for harvest in winter), broad bean, the runner beans are starting to climb the frame. Onions look healthy, as does the rhubarb in the corner. Raspberries are doing well, though the blackcurrant bush looks like a poor crop this year. The first of the new potatoes have been lifted, though more to come. The main crop potatoes are doing fine.

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

At the front, the delphiniums and roses are in bloom. (And a few other things not visible from that camera angle).

IMG_0227.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Re: Gardening

Postby DougN » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:44 am

Bit different to the gardening I was doing today. Planting a 6ft high camelia and starting to remove a bird of paradise which has been against the house longer than we have lived here (15 years). Managed to break off only a third... But tomorrow it is back to painting no 1 son's room :shock:

Modelling what is that?
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:55 am

I've just scanned some old colour print film from the 70s, gave a similar feel to your pictures Nigel!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:53 pm

The damp patches of recently turned Earth near the potatoes and under the tree, together with the greenery on top of the compost bin suggests someone has done some weeding just before the pictures where taken.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 pm

A rather better picture, taken the same day as mine by Don Gilliland

DSC_0391.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:15 am

Its good to see a garden well modelled by someone who knows about veggies and seasons getting it all right.
Exhibitions sometimes have beautifully modelled veg plots with simultaneous Spring and Autumn cropping plants!

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:50 am

Paul Townsend wrote:Its good to see a garden well modelled by someone who knows about veggies and seasons getting it all right.
Exhibitions sometimes have beautifully modelled veg plots with simultaneous Spring and Autumn cropping plants!

At least two of the group are long-term veg gardeners, and there is a large plot of domestic veg and fruit outside the shed where we keep the layout. So no shortage of reference material. That helps no end ! Apart from a few modern varieties, and two to three week shift in seasons due to warmer winters, techniques and timings won't have changed much in 60 years.

swedeyboy

Postby swedeyboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm

The crossing keepers garden is modelled by John Watson, who has, as they say, "got some previous" in this area. Here's the garden that he modelled on his P4 Mid Suffolk layout, Kenton:

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:14 pm

A rather splendid looking layout, Nigel.

Simon

Return to “Norfolk & Suffolk Area Group”