e-bay

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

e-bay

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 pm

There seem to be a lot of P4 parts on e-bay at present (finescale section), especially AG wheelsets for Southern locos and Ultrascale conversion sets.
Someone having a big clear out.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Re: e-bay

Postby Horsetan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks for publicising that, thereby sabotaging any chance I might have had of a bargain....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am

Never mind, you get your fair share of bargains :)
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I wasn't able to bid for anything as we were away from home all day yesterday at a funeral :(

am currently about to make a bid for All About GWR Iron Minks by Lewis, Lloyd, Metcalf & Miller - HMRS

John

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 pm

If you want an example of the apparently ignorant trader selling stuff on ebay, look no further than;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKE-SHARMAN- ... 1195924091?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIDENTIFIED- ... 2ed8367607

Perhaps Horsetan can get a bargain here.

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Not all e-bay dealers are ignorant of the value of what they are selling as witness this item I bought last week

"Kennedy 6" Dial Caliper in excellent condition these calipers are imperial. (Reason for sale, as they are no use to me whatsoever) Any question please ask. These usually retail between 70-90pounds so grab a bargain"

I got them it £4. 19 plus £3.20 postage. I got fed up with forgetting to switch off the cheapie 4" digital claiper I got from Chronos, the cost of buying replacement batteries would soon add up to what I paid for the Kennedy one

I have in fact stopped buying 'modern' tools and now look only for tools from th older makers like Starrett, Eclipse, M&W etc and get 'vintage' stuff even then.

John

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:14 am

John,

not all, but an increasing number who, judging by the number of transactions they have clocked up are "traders".

There seems to be a trend towards the contents of estates and collections getting into the hands of people who don't always understand what they have or how best to "promote " it for sale. In the examples I quoted there is no information of wheel size, number of spokes (or even the quantity of wheels). How can you expect any sensible person to bid for something so badly described, unless you don't actually know what the item is, how it is used, what it fits, etc.

Dealing with someone who knows what they have for sale and can describe correctly it is more likely to inspire at least a degree of confidence in their professionalism and make a purchase more likely. If, as in your case you get bargain, so much the better.

Jol

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 am

The chances of getting something you actually need; in good nick; at a reasonable price, is virtually nil.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm

The number of fuzzy photos is on the increase again. I don't bid if I can't see what it is. Having said that someone sold a 4F described as 00 and it was P4. Needed some degreaser to free it up and it was perfect (as far as an Airfix/ Percy combo can get).
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Looking at those wheels I'd say they are EM especially as the other wheels are.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Where to Find?”