Scaleforum 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
dcockling

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby dcockling » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:56 pm

A few clips from Scaleforum

Manston Brewery

Calcutta Sidings

Knutsford East Junction

All the Best
Danny

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 pm

johnlewis wrote:I tried running my Gibson 850 on the test track and found it ran perfectly rather than falling off due to the tyres not running truly which suggests that my 'yard' of test track has something wrong with it. Unfortunately I only managed 3/4 of a full circuit before the battery (or something else) died so was unable to give it a good run, fortunately Paul had seen it run on a bit of test track on the Society stand so I can claim publicly that my concept of a battery powered, radio controlled GWR Saddle Tank loco is a least partially succesfull :D

I most certainly did see it running, and rather well with it...

Congratulations in a novel step in the search for reliable control systems. I'm also a (sleeping) member of the 2mm Association, and by coincidence in the last few days a number of their members have started asking about the practicality of these systems for 2mm models.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Petri Sallinen

Postby Petri Sallinen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:11 am

Our compliments to everyone for extremely nice show! This was our second trip to Scaleforum — we enjoyed the exhibition very much. It was very easy to travel from Helsinki to Aylesbury — our trip took only five hours. Unfortunately we had to leave our pet polar bears home because it is impossible to bring them in the aeroplane (and they do not like model trains) :)

Petri Sallinen and Kari Rossi
Society members from the northern front

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 am

Flymo748 wrote:Congratulations in a novel step in the search for reliable control systems. I'm also a (sleeping) member of the 2mm Association, and by coincidence in the last few days a number of their members have started asking about the practicality of these systems for 2mm models.
Cheers
Flymo

Tell them to have a look at the Deltang website for details of the quite small receivers DT produces.
http://www.deltang.co.uk/
I notice he is now offering a controller than can handle 12 locos (but not control all 12 simultaneously) as well as the single controller I have and the one that can control 3 locos at a time.

There used to be a video showing battery powered RC controlled N gauge locos running around a track but I cannot now find it.

John

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Here is one for the caption competition - and by the way, doesn't Terry know about leaning on other people's layouts?
Terry Bendall (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:38 pm

IMG_0711 resized.jpg
Tim, you've started something - how about this one?

Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Paul: "I think the website should change colour on the hour."

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Tim V wrote:Image

Gareth Bayer, left: "So, it looks like you'd like to get started in P4? How about if you organised a Model railway show around that theme?"

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:42 pm

A last few pictures from me from Scaleforum

S4um007.jpg

S4um008.jpg

S4um009.jpg

S4um010.jpg

S4um011.jpg

S4um012.jpg

All the Best
Danny

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm

IMG_0711%20resized.jpg

So John, If you keep you eye open for the Chairman, I will look out for Terry, then and only then, if the coast is clear we can scarper to the Pub.... Your buying!!!!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Tim V wrote:Here is one for the caption competition - and by the way, doesn't Terry know about leaning on other people's layouts?
Terry Bendall (1).JPG

1 Terry to Gareth "The jury has now decided - large P4 layouts DO work - but We knew that all along." (for an explanation se MRJ No. 161 page 211 last paragraph.)

2. Garteth to Terry " Ishould move your hand - Phil is about to put 230 volts through the track."

3. Terry to Gareth "Can I book you layout for 2016?"

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm

[quote="Trevor Grout"]
IMG_0711%20resized.jpg

John to Paul

So it is true. You are going to model the Eastern Region c1968 with class 37s in BR green livery. Gosh! Next thing you'll be joining DEMU."

Terry Bendall

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:

Be a proper railway enthusiast and go by train.

To which I can only add that this may be the answer to my "problems" with our third world motorway system?

http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk/route-and-train-services

David C

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
Trevor Grout wrote:
IMG_0711%20resized.jpg

John to Paul

So it is true. You are going to model the Eastern Region c1968 with class 37s in BR green livery. Gosh! Next thing you'll be joining DEMU."

Terry Bendall

You means something like this lurking on my workbench, shunting a bit of pre-War LNWR stock?

Class 37 shunting.JPG

When something like this comes up at fifteen quid on Ebay, pre-converted with a full set of Ultrascales, it would be rude not to... I simply need to find the time to respray it green ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:58 am

Flymo748 wrote:You means something like this lurking on my workbench, shunting a bit of pre-War LNWR stock

Close enough and a good start. :D

Terry Bendall

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:30 am

Flymo, assuming both are on P4 wheels, why are the vertical centre lines of the buffers so far out, please?

Noel
Regards
Noel

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Noel wrote:Flymo, assuming both are on P4 wheels, why are the vertical centre lines of the buffers so far out, please?

Noel

Hi Noel,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I've been away from home for a couple of days.

The simple answer is that the diseasel appears to be sitting too low. The LNWR buffer centre-line height is set at 14mm, or 3'6" as a prototype value. I set this and check it using a Bill Bedford buffer height gauge mounted on the end of my "gauging board" which has featured here a few times before:

IMG_3159.JPG

The Class 37 is exactly as it arrived from Ebay. It's Lima model, slightly scabby, and a very hesitant runner. Taking the body off, there seem to have been modifications made to the bogie mounts and bearing plates. Whether that was done in the course of the P4 conversion, or separately, I don't know. So it's this model that's wrong.

As it seems that I can pick up another Cl.37 on Ebay for around a tenner, and the bodyshell of this one isn't great, I may just buy another one in better nick and swap the Ultrascales over :-)

That may even be a green one to keep Terry happy!

Going back to your question, it's a good spot, but of course the state of load, and even of the life in the axle springs means that not all buffers line up on the real thing. The question would be "does it look out of place", and I've seen worse in prototype pictures...

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Bit of a dead end the Lima 37 Paul. There's quite a bit wrong with it, it was good for its day but that was 20 years ago.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Petri Sallinen wrote:Our compliments to everyone for extremely nice show! This was our second trip to Scaleforum — we enjoyed the exhibition very much. It was very easy to travel from Helsinki to Aylesbury — our trip took only five hours. Unfortunately we had to leave our pet polar bears home because it is impossible to bring them in the aeroplane (and they do not like model trains) :)

Petri Sallinen and Kari Rossi
Society members from the northern front

Hello Petri,

Polar bears at Scaleforum as an added bonus would knock spots off another well known and large MR exhibition in the UK, where they only have real locos as attractions in one of the halls!

Best wishes
Simon

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:19 pm

jim s-w wrote:Bit of a dead end the Lima 37 Paul. There's quite a bit wrong with it, it was good for its day but that was 20 years ago.

Cheers

Jim

Oh, I know that it doesn't look great, but as an old lugger that I can restore to something looking roughly correct and have running around in a completely inappropriate manner, I'm happy with it :-)

In the same vein, I have a Warship and a Class 47 that came from Ebay, again all preconverted with Ultrascales. There might be a green diesel service appearing somewhere, sometime in the future...

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

jayell

Postby jayell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
Trevor Grout wrote:
IMG_0711%20resized.jpg

John to Paul

Gosh! Next thing you'll be joining DEMU."

Terry Bendall

With all those nasty modern locos to play with there is nothing else he can do. Somehow I don't think they would look right with stove pipe chimneys and Holden design cabs :cry:

John

Postby 45609 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:39 pm

Flymo748 wrote:I set this and check it using a Bill Bedford buffer height gauge mounted on the end of my "gauging board" which has featured here a few times before

That's not one of Bill's buffer height gauges.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:55 am

45609 wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:I set this and check it using a Bill Bedford buffer height gauge mounted on the end of my "gauging board" which has featured here a few times before

That's not one of Bill's buffer height gauges.

Ah, I thought that it was. That's what happens when you've had something for a few years. My apologies to Mr Bedford then. And to you!

A search through the Society stores reveals that it is "Height Gauge by Morgan Gilbert for buffer height and AJ Coupling mounting"

Available to members for Not Very Much At All, and a remarkably useful investment. I couldn't be without one at all...

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Exhibitions”