Martin Finney

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Phil O

Martin Finney

Postby Phil O » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 am

Martin Finney is set to retire after next years Scaleforum, according to his web site

http://website.lineone.net/~cbwesson/

All the best in your retirement Martin

phil

nberrington

Re: Martin Finney

Postby nberrington » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 pm

That's too bad. His kits are absolutely wonderful. I hope someone picks up the reigns so that his stuff remains available.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Phil O wrote:Martin Finney is set to retire after next years Scaleforum, according to his web site

All the best in your retirement Martin

phil

Having sold out of all the locos at Scaleforum, he won't make it past January 2015 for show stand purposes!

Good luck to anyone taking it on, 'cos they'll have to do all the running around to build up new stock from scratch. The latest "sold-out" list shows almost nothing left to buy.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:19 pm

So pleased I got the last A3, but a shame I did not get a V2. But I live in hope.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:47 pm

RedDragon wrote:So pleased I got the last A3, but a shame I did not get a V2. But I live in hope.

Mmm....I had the last A4. Forgot to ask him to autograph the inside of the resin body.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:19 am

Although Martin is retiring he has offered to come to Scaleforum in 2015 as a demonstrator. We will probably ask him to do loco construction since he knows a thing or two about that and we will be able to learn from his expertise.

Terry Bendall

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:24 am

I presume eBay madness will now kick in.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:31 am

Ealing wrote:I presume eBay madness will now kick in.

Believe me, I'm just waiting to see what happens. Not all the kits bought in the final frenzy will have been with building in mind....

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:00 am

Horse that is just profit taking.... :twisted:

I find it disappointing that people believe that they are making a profit from such a situation (other than Martin for the obvious reason for being in Business) I look at what has happened with all the panic buying of Wrenn trains all those years ago when the prices went through the roof and now have all come back to reality and lower! I did write another comment on this thread last night and then deleted it as it was not in line with what had been written on Martin's website. Though the sentiments are still the same today. The idea was there are 2 methods of the exit strategy for Martin. One is as he has done sold all stock and stated the business is up for sale as a going concern with a pent up demand due to the unavailability of kits for a period. Or option 2 would be to continue to run the business with a stock level and pass onto the new operator of the business but taking advantage of the increased demand by increasing the cost to avoid the Ebay madness type thing in the short term.

Thinking about the 2 options I would say he has made the right choice for the consumer and the new operator in that the kits will come out again (yes yes I know there is always a risk here). Thereby ensuring the ongoing survival of the range and also gifting the new operator an increased cash-flow in the first year or 2. Which will also kill the ebay madness.

I look forward to my kit in the future.... too many distractions in the short term to start it! (Mr Bradwells J27 calls for more work along with some other little things off)

Back to normal here in Melbourne by the way... holiday was great!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:06 am

Hopefully the price that a new operator pays for the business is realistic and that the production processes are sufficiently well organised to enable kits to be made available for sale quickly to recoup some of the costs. Two other recent "takeovers" have suffered badly because of the disorganisation of the business they purchased and, as is the way of things, it is the new owners (especially in one case) that have suffered from criticism.

The "panic buying" of MF kits that took place will have taken some customers out of the market for the new owner while others, seeing the range available again, may take their time over buying what they want.

MPR

Postby MPR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Martin Finney has reported in his web-site that 31st March was his last day of trading and that the 4mm range has now been sold. Best wishes to him on his retirement!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:10 pm

MPR wrote:Martin Finney has reported in his web-site that 31st March was his last day of trading and that the 4mm range has now been sold. ....

Question is: will the new owner break cover? I'm just hoping the name doesn't begin with "Ph...." :evil:

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:09 am

Martin may be retiring but he will be coming to Scaleforum this year as a demonstrator of ... loco building. Those who come will be able to gain some knowledge from an expert in the field.

Terry Bendall

David Burton

Postby David Burton » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:31 am

Following the announcement from Martin Finney of his retirement Brassmasters are pleased to announce that we have acquired the 4mm range of Martin Finney kits. These high quality kits have been admired by ourselves and fellow finescale modellers since their introduction; this will ensure their future production and will complement the existing Brassmasters range. It is our intention to make the castings, sundry components and complete kits available as soon as possible and in the longer-term to introduce new kits.

Martin is working with us to ensure a smooth handover and when this is complete we will then set out our future plans. However realistically it is unlikely that any of the kits will be available again until the Autumn.

We will provide a regular update via our website http://www.brassmasters.co.uk and newsletter.

David Burton
Brassmasters

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Let's hope in due course this can be added to the (very) small list of 'successful' takeovers - though it does seem to sit a little oddly with the way Brassmasters have discontinued some of their 'proper' kits in recent years and moved more to supporting the RTR market.
David L-T

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Isn't it more the case that the simpler older LNWR kits, which are not necessarily designed to current highest spec (and foir intance made in quite thin metal) have been run down, whilst the current higher spec LMS kits are continuing? The Finney stuff, being high spec GWR and SR complements this quite nicely. It is a problem for those interested in late period LNWR, but maybe there aren't so many of us.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:31 am

This is great news and one that I for one welcome. As previously mentioned in the other place the new supplier of the kits needed to be able to take Paypal as a minimum and or credit cards. This way the range will continue to survive and no doubt add alot of interest to the Brassmasters range.. I think I have a hankering for the A1 and a GNR tender. :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 am

jon price wrote:Isn't it more the case that the simpler older LNWR kits, which are not necessarily designed to current highest spec (and foir intance made in quite thin metal) have been run down, whilst the current higher spec LMS kits are continuing? The Finney stuff, being high spec GWR and SR complements this quite nicely. It is a problem for those interested in late period LNWR, but maybe there aren't so many of us.

True enough about the older kits, although once you have the etch tools and casting moulds, small production runs (as few as two, three or four depending on the etch tool design) are not a problem.

That's why it's possible for a supplier like LRM to produce a range of seventy or so locos.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:33 am

The proof will be in the ability to supply when they have things sorted out.

I have been very disappointed with Brassmasters over their repeated (and repeated, and repeated) delay with the D&S crane detailing kit, promised as 'the next thing to be finished'; 'just got to check a couple of things'; 'should be out in xxx'; 'should have it for Scaleforum'. This has gone on for several years. It seems that something else is always being put in front of this project in spite of promises, made in response to enquiries at exhibitions, to the contrary.

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:42 am

I agree with David B
Having bought the brassmasters kit for the Princess the update they sent out after xmas included the etches for the bogie supports on the frames, 1 of each type!!
I have pointed this out to them and they will send them out with the OO frame spacers.

£220 is a lot of money and 7 months later I am still waiting for completion of the bits.
Philbax

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:48 am

jon price wrote:Isn't it more the case that the simpler older LNWR kits, which are not necessarily designed to current highest spec (and foir intance made in quite thin metal) have been run down, whilst the current higher spec LMS kits are continuing? The Finney stuff, being high spec GWR and SR complements this quite nicely. It is a problem for those interested in late period LNWR, but maybe there aren't so many of us.

My observation was based more on simple numbers (although why anyone would not be interested in LNWR, even if (considerably) later than my own preferred period, baffles me :? ). There are 6 current kits on the Brassmasters 'loco' page, against 8 discontinued. On the other hand there are 8 kits to upgrade plastic offerings from the toy train makers. That doesn't really speak to me of an enterprise enthusiastic about 'real' modelling, or one particularly consistent with the Finney ethos - but that is simply my impression. I'm just glad that the 7mm MF kits have gone elsewhere. :thumb
David L-T

SHurst

Postby SHurst » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:15 pm

So the continued availability of a top of the range of kits is safeguarded yet the enterprise that does this is criticised for apparently "supporting the RTR market" at the expense of "real" modelling (whatever that is these days) :( That seems a little unfair at this early stage.
Brassmasters should be applauded for stepping in when so many other ranges have gone forever. By doing so they will be giving 4mm modellers - be they "real", "semi real" or "armchair experts" - the choice to either build a real kit such as the A4,A3 or 4F for example, modify an existing excellent RTR product of each to P4/EM standards, or of course do nothing. I wonder how many will fall into each category ? :?

The fusion of Brassmasters LMS kits with Finney's GWR/SR/LNER kits is something I for one welcome.(especially if Brassmasters CD instructions are applied to Finney's excellent drawings) For once we 4mm modellers have never had it so good - lets hope it continues to be so :thumb

And just where have the 7mm kits gone to - have I missed that ?

Simon

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Upgradeing the offerings of the "toy train" makers seems to me like a perfectly reasonable idea. If the Bachmann Johnson 1F had been available in round top boiler version I would be happy to go down this route as the standard of modelling is much higher than I am going to be able to achieve with my Craftsman etched kit. The same would apply to the L&Y radial tank, if I wanted one.

Converting a model in hours instead of the days it is taking me would leave more time to model the locos that aren't available except as kits or as scratchbuilds. My "starter" project (1906 docks) will make use of a whitemetal kit (K's MR 0-4-0T), two whitemetal and etched brass kits (Gibson GWR 0-6-0T and LNWR 0-4-2T), two etched brass kit (Craftsman MR 0-6-0T and Agenoria WMCQR 0-6-0T), one RTR on an etched brass chassis (Hornby GNR 0-6-0T) and one scratch/hack on an etched brass chassis (WMCQR 0-4-0T). Of all of them the RTR Hornby body will have the best paint job, which I will not be able to match in quality with my own efforts. I see no reason to reject any process that will end with a working model that looks reasonable to me and runs to my satisfaction. Brass masters have seen and exploited a gap in the market with their easychas range. No doubt this will cross subsidise other less marketable bits of their range which seems a sensible approach.

I think most (all?) of the manufacturers who supply us with our toys do it as a sideline, so they are bound to focus on what interests them. If it coincides with what interests me that is good, but if it doesn't I can't criticise them.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Brassmasters may already have noted that the Finney suite of cast fittings enables them to offer us even more opportunities for upgrading those related prototypes currently rendered only as RTR 'toys', such as LNER post-war Pacifics. Doing so would hardly detract from the Finney heritage.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Crepello wrote:Brassmasters may already have noted that the Finney suite of cast fittings enables them to offer us even more opportunities for upgrading those related prototypes currently rendered only as RTR 'toys', such as LNER post-war Pacifics. Doing so would hardly detract from the Finney heritage.

If Dave Bradwell can do it with his castings, what's to say it can't be done with Finney?

Philbax wrote:I agree with David B
Having bought the brassmasters kit for the Princess the update they sent out after xmas included the etches for the bogie supports on the frames, 1 of each type!!
I have pointed this out to them .....

I'm going to check my Princess additional etch pack again. If they've done the same as they did with yours..... :shock:

UPDATE: just checked, and there is indeed only one of each! E-mail duly sent.....

Return to “Product Information”