BR BLUE

chris58

BR BLUE

Postby chris58 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:39 pm

Both my HORNBY 31 and BACHMANN 37 have a bit of a shiny finish straight out of the box . Does anyone know a way around this. Perhaps a respray is required.
Regards
CHRIS

Shreds

Re: BR BLUE

Postby Shreds » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I wouldn't run anything straight out of the box without weathering which changes the whole look and sometimes the original colour of the loco.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:21 am

Shreds wrote:I wouldn't run anything straight out of the box without weathering

The thing is of course is just like everything else, weathering is a skill that needs to be practiced in order to achieve good results. I would not start on a brand new and expensive loco. The sensible thing is to get hold of a cheap secondhand loco or just a loco body and practice on that. There are books and videos that provide useful advice and look for demonstrations at exhibitions. The alternative is to pay someone to do the weathering for you but that will cost and you won't learn how to do it yourself.

A good way of toning things down is to use a brush to apply a thin wash of track colour which will lodge in the moulded detail and this will remove the shine. I don't yet consider myself sufficient proficient to do a good job on weathering diesels but after a lot of practice I am reasonable at wagons - see http://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/201 ... _7223.html

Terry Bendall

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Chris

I use this - http://totalwargamer.co.uk/army-painter ... 400ml.html

I then weather afterwards

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

David B

Postby David B » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Testor's Dulcote is another one.

Someone did a comparison on YouTube with the Army Painter Jim refers to and came to the conclusion they were equally good but the Army Painter is cheaper.

chris58

Postby chris58 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:32 pm

hi Jim
you seem to have understood what i,m getting at. I have just had a look at some photos of your class 31,s and that dull finish is just what i am looking for so i will give it a try. Thanks to everyone who as offered help.
Kind regards
Chris

chris58

Postby chris58 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Hello
davidb just watched you tube video you refer to and i am impressed. It,s clear that at lot can be learnt from our wargaming friends.
Cheers
Chris

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Are there any worries about what this type of matt varnish can be used on top off?
acrylic paints? enamels? rub down transfers? all okay?

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 am

Why not respray a satin varnish, and / or a mat varnish to contrast in relevant area's, even adding say a grey for dust etc .
Paint is shiny. Oil & spirit mixed, or modern synthetics.
Unless your in the rust bucket era, when paintwork was neglected and left to the toxins etc. to destroy its finish. Then it will retain a shine. Class 60's 66 etc i've seen have been immaculate. Even the blue 08 shunter at Brighton was kept in a pristine finish.
A retired guy kindly gave me depot book on BR diesels. Every pic within shows light reflecting off the paintwork, it varies, as some images where the sides, and roofing area contain an element of grime and exhaust emissions, but still shiny bits.
One pic is of a very clean & shiny Cl.31 emerging from the washer plant.

Steve.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:54 am

I've used army painter on enamels, JLTRT paints (which I believe are cellulose) and halfords (acrylics?) without problems.

I find that satin is too shiny for models in 4mm scale but I do add some gloss (klear floor polish) to models for bits that are oily. You need to keep it subtle so that you just catch a glint here and there.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

chris58

Postby chris58 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Dear Jim
just sprayed my Class 31 with army painter matt finish and its just what I needed. Thanks for advice on this.

Chris Dales

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Any information on how Army Painter varnish interacts with transfers?

chris58

Postby chris58 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Guy
24 hours and no adverse reactions.
Chris dales

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Ive been using it for a few years now and never had a problem

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Return to “Painting and Weathering”