Corrugated Iron Press Tool

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Kos

Corrugated Iron Press Tool

Postby Kos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these? I'm looking for a metal forming tool to impress corrugations in 5 thou plasticard.

Thanks

dal-t

Re: Corrugated Iron Press Tool

Postby dal-t » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 pm

You can still get 5 thou plasticard? I thought my stock was the last on the planet ...
Have you thought of using a pastry cutter and a hairdryer? I'll explain that if necessary, but it's a fairly simple concept.
David L-T

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 pm

dal-t wrote:You can still get 5 thou plasticard?

Evergreen do .005" styrene.

David B

Postby David B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:30 pm

This from Brunel Modelsis the only one I know of and is designed to be used with foil, not plastic. Postage makes it prohibitive, but if anyone is going to Aus or knows someone . . . They also sell on eBay, but again, the postage!

Cookson Gold have jeweller's rolling mills with different rollers, but these are priced in the hundreds of pounds.

Kos

Postby Kos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Should have explained further - the tool I have in mind is a two part device that acts as a clamp and hot water provides the means of softening the plasticard. I last used one in the 1990's, but not sure of its origin.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:23 am

Kos wrote:Should have explained further - the tool I have in mind is a two part device that acts as a clamp and hot water provides the means of softening the plasticard. I last used one in the 1990's, but not sure of its origin.

Buy your corrugations in metal shim.
A couple of suppliers have offered this is copper and aluminium in the past but I can't remember who.
Surely cheaper than tooling up?

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:05 am

IIRC Ambis offer corrugated metal shim.

Gordon A
Bristol

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 am

steamraiser wrote:IIRC Ambis offer corrugated metal shim.

They still do, when I last saw their stand at a show. That was the East london Finescale Show, in November 2013, IIRC.

It's a bit convoluted but:

Click on http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk

Navigate to the "Scenery" area

A couple of paragraphs down there is a clickable link to download a pdf of the range. http://ambisengineering.co.uk/EIW.pdf

Then you have to download the pricelist http://ambisengineering.co.uk/productList.pdf to find out how much it costs.

But the end result is very worthwhile. I keep meaning to buy up a goodly stock every time that I pass Alan's stand, and never quite manage it.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 am

Like Stuart, I recall reading somewhere of a tool that pressed plasticard to make corrugations. Using hot water rings a bell - does it with anyone else?

James Moorhouse

Postby James Moorhouse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:17 am

There was an article in Scalefour News 175 by Ian Carswell on forming asbestos sheets.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 am

Natalie Graham wrote:Evergreen do .005" styrene.

Don't suppose you have a serial number for that, do you? I can't see it listed by the French distributor, but they have got one of the worst web sites yet constructed ...
David L-T

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 am

Plain white 0.005in sheet is 9009, clear sheet is 9005.

Their website gives a full list of their products: http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

Noel
Regards
Noel

David Dornom

Postby David Dornom » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 am

Over the years, I have demonstrated making corrugated iron at Scaleforum etc. Originally, I tried to squeeze the foil between two strong sheets of corrugated stainless steel, but found that the foil would not follow the corrugations. NOW, I am back to the traditional method of using thin card! Now, I cut the card into correct length strips, and soak it in water. Then I squeeze the card between the two formers. Once dry, I then shellac (remember that?) the card.This makes for a robust item which can be glued and painted at will. The one snag is the stainless steel sheet!!! It came from an in Line filter on a liquid gas line on a gas ship! I think that the easiest way to simulate something like that would be to solder strips of wire at the correct spacing and then make two sheets to "marry" together. Then mount them on to stout backing for setting into a vice. What fun we do have! Happy modelling.
David Dornom

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

Noel wrote:lain white 0.005in sheet is 9009, clear sheet is 9005.

Many thanks, found the white which seems to be S1379009, €5,90 for three sheets. Can't immediately see the clear (!) but it could be hiding somewhere, maybe under 'modélisme' rather than 'maquettism' (French logic, you can't beat it ...).
David L-T

Kos

Postby Kos » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi Paul (Townsend),

This is for a project I have in mind which would need lots of corrugated iron, and thin plasticard is a nice material to work with.

Also, just to mention I have some buildings with rather nice corrugated iron produced by David Dornom (see earlier). But it's so much nicer to have your own tool, I always think.

Stuart

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Slightly off-topic, but following up Natalie Graham's note about 5-thou styrene sheet, I have recently used the Evergreen version of this material to represent thin plating. It seems slightly more robust than the Slater's version, but you still need to be very sparing with the solvent, and in fact I used DL-Limone in preference to any stronger solvent.

As to using 5-thou styrene into which to press corrugations, I rather doubt whether this would work, at least with the Evrgreen version; it appears to me to be too rigid for this, unless you could devise some sort of method for hot-pressing.

A thin metal foil would seem to be a better bet if you are going to roll your own, although you might as well use the excellent product from Ambis Engineering (which I believe is thin aluminim foil) or use the Slater's Plastikard product.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:36 am

martin goodall wrote: use the excellent product from Ambis Engineering (which I believe is thin aluminim foil) or use the Slater's Plastikard product.

The Ambis produce is made of copper Martin. It works well but I find is best on smaller structures. You can see one application at http://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/201 ... _7627.html On the shelter over the warehouse loading dock on Ravenscroft Sidings, see http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4North2 ... venscroft/
Ravenscroft_4236.jpg I used the Ambis product initially but replaced the vertical front part, which is about 3 feet long, with the Slater's version which I found was easier to use on larger structures.

Terry Bendall

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 am

The Ambis corrugated sheets are lovely items, easy to work with, and can be curved lengthwise. For that reason, I used them on the rounded roof of the shelter/lock-ups on Burntisland's passenger pier. However, they are also quite fragile - easily dented - so think twice if it's an exposed area on an exhibition layout.

Lindsay

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm sure the Ambis sheets are fine, but the 4D shop has other options: http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop?searchText=Corrugated.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:35 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
martin goodall wrote: use the excellent product from Ambis Engineering (which I believe is thin aluminim foil) or use the Slater's Plastikard product.

The Ambis produce is made of copper Martin.

I defer to Terry's greater knowledge on such matters. The 'corrugated iron' sheets I have bought from Ambis are silver in colour. Maybe tinned cooper, then?

Whatever the material, this really is a first-class product, and I can't really see the point in trying to make one's own corrugated iron sheet when something as good as this is readily available.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:05 am

The Ambis produce is made of copper Martin. [/quote]

I defer to Terry's greater knowledge on such matters. The 'corrugated iron' sheets I have bought from Ambis are silver in colour. Maybe tinned cooper, then?

Whatever the material, this really is a first-class product, and I can't really see the point in trying to make one's own corrugated iron sheet when something as good as this is readily available.[/quote]

Ambis use both aluminium and copper for their corrugated iron sheet, I have some of both.

Cheers

Phil

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Kos

Postby Kos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ambis is clearly the way to go - I'll be ordering soon.

However, I still hope to find one of the original clamp type tools. I have a sneaky feeling the one I borrowed was made by John Hayes?

Stuart

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Here's another possibility http://modeltextures.co.uk/about-us
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Where to Find?”