Edwardian Figures

jayell

Re: Edwardian Figures

Postby jayell » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 am

davidb wrote:
johnlewis wrote:Most of the available colours from the likes of Vallejo Game, Reaper Master, GamesWorkshop etc. are aimed at painting of fantastical or military figures so hardly suitable for our Edwardian figures.

Why do you say this, John? These paints work extremely well and are used successfully by many modellers on their figures whatever the period. Vallejo in particular have a very wide range of shades and colours. I think the Citadel range from the Games Workshop particularly good. All are acrylics.

It is probably the names they give to colours that put me off. Looking again the the Vallejo colour chart for their Game Colour range there aren't as many 'gory red' or 'dead flesh' type names as I remember seeing in the GW ranges. So I should look at the actual colours rather than the names they are given ;)

Would you be willing to suggest which colours I should get as a starter set?

There are references to some techniques on posts further up this page. Have a look at this one by Northern Maiden, referred to on RM Web: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1306-northern-maidens-paint-shed/ Look at the 8th post down for her description. She uses Vallejo and Railmatch.

There is a photo of 3 ladies that have already been painted here on RM Web. Look about 3/4 way down the page.

Thanks for those two links David, the RM web one especially as it shows 'our' figurines, whilst I do look at RM web from time to time I hadn't spotted that thread.

John

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:42 pm

davidb wrote:I think the Citadel range from the Games Workshop particularly good. All are acrylics.

For this sort of freelance painting, I agree. They are particularly easy to obtain (in my case from the bench next to mine). Games workshop have many outlets in other stores, in addition to their own. A quick google will provide a colour chart so you can get past the names.

They dry rapidly, and a set of figures can be painted in a single session, which is particularly rewarding.

'Borrowing' from younger relatives may also be an option, particularly if they have older colours no longer specified for new models.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 pm

johnlewis wrote: Would you be willing to suggest which colours I should get as a starter set?

It is rather difficult to give you a list as such, John, because the range is so wide and I don't know what colours you would like. Have a look at these web pages:

The Citadel paints are of different types for building up - base, layer, shade, dry, technical. Have a look on this Citadel page which gives you a brief description of what thee different types are designed to do. You will see the types listed on the left. The names are something else, geared to the gaming fraternity, but Reikland flesh shade, Rakarth Flesh and Leadbelcher as three of the 18 or so I have.

The complete Citadel Paint System web page shows all the colours and types.

Vallejo have a website that lists the different paints for a variety of applications including those for modelling.

In addition to these, I have used some of the Lifecolour paints, in particular from the Weathered Wood set, and the Modelmates dyes. You can see the range of Lifecolour paints at Airbrushes.com. Eileen's Emporium also sell them though they do not show the colours in chart form. You can also get the Modelmates dyes from Eileen's. The Modelmates green Mould I have found quite useful. Have a look at the Modelmates website.

You can really have a field day with the range of acrylic paints out there. Add in a few weathering powders and your figures should look fantastic, John, but be careful, this can seriously damage your wallet!! Post your results when you have done some.

David

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:29 pm

davidb wrote:[
It is rather difficult to give you a list as such, John, because the range is so wide and I don't know what colours you would like. Have a look at these web pages:
<snipped>
In addition to these, I have used some of the Lifecolour paints, in particular from the Weathered Wood set, and the Modelmates dyes. You can see the range of Lifecolour paints at [url=https://airbrushes.com/lifecolor.php]

I decided to give airbrushes.com a try and have ordered some brushes and the following colours
LifeColor Matt Yellow
LifeColor Matt Brown
LifeColor Matt Dark Blue
LifeColor Matt Black
LifeColor Matt White
LifeColor Matt Flesh2

You can really have a field day with the range of acrylic paints out there. Add in a few weathering powders and your figures should look fantastic, John, but be careful, this can seriously damage your wallet!!

I have just found out how quickly the total mounts up but I need brushes and paints since I don't have anything to fall back on being completely new to this business.

Post your results when you have done some.

Assuming I get some results that approach the quality of the ones in the two links on RMWeb, I will. It won't be soon though as I have to learn everything from scratch.

John

jayell

Postby jayell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks David for the PM with a link to Mikkels blog re backdating figures. I thought I'd read al of the Farthings Layout stuff but had either missed or forgotten this one

John

David B

Postby David B » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 am

I had an email from Andrew Stadden this morning in which he told me:

'I have now started work on the next two sets of OO figures (Railway Staff/Workmen) and I will soon start posting photos of them on my website and facebook as the sculpts are completed. I will also convert the first two sets into seated figures.

All of these will also be available in HO scale.'

His website is: http://www.acstadden.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:06 am

I have had an email from Andrew who says:

Unfortunately progress has been slow on these figures. As before I have had a load of commissioned work to get through, which is good for me but makes it difficult to progress with my own ranges of figures.

Anyway, I attach an image of the first station staff (which you may have seen before). Also rough versions of the seated figures (HO and OO) which I will cast out and turn into two full sets of ten figures.

If you have seen the figures he has already produced, you will know that these will be worth waiting for.

OO Figures Set 4 600 01.jpg

OO Figures Set 3 600 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David B

Postby David B » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Andrew has sent me this picture of the finished figures for the station staff. They should be available before too long, perhaps before Christmas. Two sets of seated figures will also be available soon.

OO Figures Set 5 600 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David B

Postby David B » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Latest from Andrew Stadden:

OO Set 6 Edwardian Workmen sculpts completed. All made using photo reference from the 1901-1910 period but most of them seemed to use clothing a lot older!

I can now send the Station Staff and Workmen Sets off to my mould maker together.

OO Edwardian Workmen.jpg

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 pm

I was rather surprised to see my brother-in-law second from the right, same beard, same eyes and same stance.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm

For those who are interested, Andrew now has a further 4 sets listed for sale. I ordered a set of each last night.

These figures really are very nice indeed and well worth the money.

He has also indicated that further sets will follow if the demand is there, so please support him

Regards,

Craig

David B

Postby David B » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:04 am

Andrew Stadden is continuing to make Edwardian figures and this morning I had an email saying he has added two more sets of 10 figures - loco crew and children. These are sets 7 and 8, so scroll down the page on Andrew's website.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:14 am

David B wrote:Andrew Stadden is continuing to make Edwardian figures and this morning I had an email saying he has added two more sets of 10 figures - loco crew and children. These are sets 7 and 8, so scroll down the page on Andrew's website.

Two sets of each ordered and being mailed to Australia today according to Andrew. These figures really are very nice indeed and I would urge anyone remotely interested in good quality figures to support him as more will follow. Also released some 2mm scale and 7mm scale figures too.

Regards,

Craig W

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:44 am

Anybody who wants to back-date a figure with a straw boater might find use for this print on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4DJSARRAX/oo-1-76-scale-boater-straw-hat-assortment?li=search-results-1&optionId=57899705

And it's not even 1st April!

David B

Postby David B » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:Anybody who wants to back-date a figure with a straw boater might find use for this print on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4DJSARRAX/oo-1-76-scale-boater-straw-hat-assortment?li=search-results-1&optionId=57899705

At 12 quid plus P&P, and only 90% scale size, they can stay at Shapeways! The prices of some items on this site are ludicrous.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:25 pm

David B wrote:
Guy Rixon wrote:Anybody who wants to back-date a figure with a straw boater might find use for this print on Shapeways:

At 12 quid plus P&P, and only 90% scale size, they can stay at Shapeways!

I think you may have misread the description. My understanding is that, across the 9 different sizes moulded, the smallest is 90% the size of the largest, but all are 'to scale'. Anyone want to check that out with a micrometer in comparison with British hat sizes? I agree with you about the prices, though - and I've made my views clear elsewhere about Shapeways' delivery system, even when they're having 'free postage' events.
David L-T

David B

Postby David B » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:27 pm

I have had an email from Andrew Stadden who has added yet more figures to his range, these being 4mm:

Set OO9 4mm/ft, 1/76 - 10 x Victorians 1850/60s (standing, upper/middle class) £10 plus P&P
Set OO10 4mm/ft, 1/76 - 10 x Victorians 1850/60s (standing, working class) £10 plus P&P
Set OO11 4mm/ft, 1/76 - 6 x Victorian Drivers and Firemen 1850/60s (separate heads and selection of arms) £10 plus P&P
Set OO12 4mm/ft, 1/76 - 6 x Edwardian Drivers and Firemen (separate heads and selection of arms) £10 plus P&P
Set OO13 4mm/ft, 1/76 - 6 x 1950/60s Drivers and Fireman (separate heads and selection of arms) £10 plus P&P

There are also 7mm and 2mm figure sets.

See: www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/OO-Figures.aspx

Return to “Road Vehicles and Figures”