Product Review York Mini Squares

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Andy W

Product Review York Mini Squares

Postby Andy W » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:29 pm

I usually use home made jigs to align coach ends before soldering. It works, but it's tricky to see all sides of the joint before applying solder/adhesive. This usually means a bit of re-aligning and tweaking.

I'm a sucker for jigs and so forth, so I thought I'd give York Model Making's Mini Squares a try.

They come in 2 halves and split so:

I'm putting together some vans for a projected layout, so I thought these would be a good test, rather than thin brass. One sits inside and one outside the two parts. Strong magnets lock the two parts together.

The advantage being you can line them up and check all faces are flush.

The squares hold the parts rock solid - but you can easily move components to fit and line them up.

Once aligned, glue can be run along the inside of the joint.

While setting the other half was joined.

Then once they had set both were fixed together.

The squares also enable you to handle the units without touching the plastic parts.

It's easy to check all is square and dandy at each stage.

A box is born.

All in all I think these are a boon. They ensure the parts are square before soldering/gluing; they keep fingers away from joints; hold the parts during setting and enable you to pick up and move the parts while they dry. I know ends etc can be set by using triangular pieces of plasticard, but overall these mini squares sped up the process up by 50%.

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

David Knight

Re: Product Review York Mini Squares

Postby David Knight » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm

These look interesting. How much are they and can they be had online?

Cheers,

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David B

Postby David B » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 am

Interesting and could be very useful, but rather pricey, like the rest of their products. There is P&P of £3 on top.

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 pm

I shall be making my own version using 3d printing over the winter months, should work out cheaper than these. They're a very good idea though, although I'll want more than 1 or 2 sets and for that it's cost prohibitive.

JFS

Postby JFS » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:44 pm

dave_long wrote:I shall be making my own version using 3d printing over the winter months, should work out cheaper than these. They're a very good idea though, although I'll want more than 1 or 2 sets and for that it's cost prohibitive.

Where will you source the magnets Dave?

Cheers,

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Similar devices are available from the Finney and Smith website, look under tools. The ones there are made from metal and rather than magnets to clamp together have screws and thumbwheels.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:12 pm

I have just bought some small magnets on-line from First4magnets. Their service was very good.
Last edited by David B on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:19 pm

An alternative source from across the pond is http://www.supermagnetman.net/. I haven't used them for a while but choice & service were very good.

Bryan

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:32 pm

There are plenty of neodymium magnet suppliers about now. I shall be testing a number of square magnets and settling on a strength that suits. The accuracy of 3d printing means I can embed the magnets with good accuracy.

JFS

Postby JFS » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:55 pm

dave_long wrote:There are plenty of neodymium magnet suppliers about now. I shall be testing a number of square magnets and settling on a strength that suits. The accuracy of 3d printing means I can embed the magnets with good accuracy.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - would you be willing to share details about these suppliers then? The ones I looked at were by no means cheap for small quantities, so I must be looking in the wrong places!

Perhaps you have not had the opportunity to examine the YM products closely, as they do not actually embed the magnets - the design is not that basic. Obviously, by embedding them, the magnet pairs would only "oppose" for one thickness of wall - but then it maybe that is what you have in mind.

Looking forward to seeing your idea when it materialises.

Best wishes,

Howard.

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Howard
Don't get me wrong the YM products are very fine indeed and I have no plans on copying their pieces. My plan is to print L shaped pieces and have magnets that attract on the inside of the outer piece and on the outside of the inner piece. So that they clamp inside each other through the material. I hope too be able to secure through 2mm plasticard.

I tend to use eBay as a source of magnets, but if not then I'd use Guys http://www.guysmagnets.com/ something like this perhaps http://www.guysmagnets.com/view-product ... mium-block at 22p each they're pretty good. I've not looked hard though and resets need doing on pull power although those don't seem too bad.

I'd only planned to do a few of these for my own benefit and hadn't planned on mass production, although I'd make a few more if someone wanted one, but it's by no means a venture in to a business.

I'll post my creation on here if it interests anyone.

Dave

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am

Hmmmm it adds up to...

dave_long wrote:I tend to use eBay as a source of magnets, but if not then I'd use Guys http://www.guysmagnets.com/ something like this perhaps http://www.guysmagnets.com/view-product ... mium-block at 22p each they're pretty good. I've not looked hard though and resets need doing on pull power although those don't seem too bad.

I'd only planned to do a few of these for my own benefit and hadn't planned on mass production, although I'd make a few more if someone wanted one, but it's by no means a venture in to a business.

22p each when you buy >2000. 4 magnets per mini square pair. That makes about 500 mini squares. So 500 = "a few"

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am

It does state a min order 5 which at 49p is not going to break the bank!
Or through eBay 10 5x5x1mm neodymium magnets @ £1.70 and free 1st class postage. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130767934736; ... 26_rdc%3D1

Not sure where the jump on my back about magnets is all about, there are hundreds of sellers 2 of which other people have posted above, perhaps a Google search for Neodymium might reward your own results.

iak

Postby iak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm

RedDragon wrote:Similar devices are available from the Finney and Smith website, look under tools. The ones there are made from metal and rather than magnets to clamp together have screws and thumbwheels.

I have both types of clamp and use according to taste :thumb
Both are excellent ideas which help, a lot!
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

David B

Postby David B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 am

I have just received an email from First4Magnets who are offering 10% off everything until 31st October. The voucher code is SPOOK10

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Ooh they are close enough to pop by one day. Only 10 miles from home ( home home rather than where I live).
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Tools and Techniques”