Scaleforum 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
David B

Re: Scaleforum 2013

Postby David B » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:19 pm

David Harris did ask that the basic size be shown and I don't think this unreasonable or would lead to confusion.

To know the length of the scenic section - the viewing part - would be useful for the visitor to know. Good, small layouts are often crowded (as can some large ones) so basic information can be helpful to know and just as important as the exhibition plan.

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for the layout dimensions info. I just asked because i think its useful to know the size of layouts from a 'what can be done in a particular space' point of view, especially if one may not get to the show to see for one's self. (Hope to be there..but!)

Dave H

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:08 am

davidb wrote:David Harris did ask that the basic size be shown and I don't think this unreasonable or would lead to confusion.

Not at all unreasonable David. It is just that we have not done it for the last few years. My form that I send to exhibitors for the information will now be modified to include this information and we will make sure that it is included in future Scaleforum Guides.

Terry Bendall

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:44 am

I noticed in the S4rum Guide a mention in the text of a 'Lecture Room', and there is an arrow pointing the way to it on the plan, but no mention of any lectures.

Are any lectures planned? I assume not on this occasion. Maybe the idea was considered but not pursued this time round, but the reference still got left in the exhibtion guide. These things happen, and it's no big deal. I just wanted to clarify the position.

I have appreciated the lectures at Scaleforum in the past, and would welcome them as part of the programme in the future, even if it proved impracticable to arrange any lectures for this year's show.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:37 am

Sorry, just noticed what may be a typo in the excellent Scaleforum Guide?

The closing time for Saturday is shown in the guide as being 6pm where as everywhere else I have looked, including on the Society website and the "flyer" shows 17:30.

As the last bus from Stoke Mandeville Stadium is scheduled to depart at 17:40 on the Saturday I assume that the 17:30 closing time is the one to refer to?

I'm really looking forward to a great weekend and whilst an extra 30 minutes viewing/spending/talking time may be welcome by some I expect others may consider it an encroachment into drinking time?

Steve
Steve Carter

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Waterloo wrote:Sorry, just noticed what may be a typo in the excellent Scaleforum Guide?

Yes quite right Steve and thanks for mentioning it. My fault :cry: - it is in my draft text sent to the editor. Probably due to the perils of copying from previous years although it was right in the guide last year. The finish time on the Saturday will be 17.30 - the exhibitors, traders and operating team will have had quite enough by then! :)

Waterloo wrote:I'm really looking forward to a great weekend

So am I :D :D

Terry Bendall

dclift

Postby dclift » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:27 am

Amazingly for Royal Mail and AustraliaPost, my copy of Scalefour News arrived here yesterday. Their amazingly good service was, however, counteracted by that of Chiltern Railways whose website I rechecked last night and again this morning. It seems that the timetable for London bound trains on Sunday 29 September has changed from that advertised the last time I looked and that published in the Scaleforum Guide. Here is what I discovered.

"Aylesbury Vale Parkway - Amersham - London Marylebone:

"Between 0900 and 1800 no trains between Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Amersham. No direct services between Aylesbury Vale Parkway and London Marylebone. Buses replace trains between Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Amersham continuing to Beaconsfield for connecting train services to London Marylebone.

"Oyster card users are reminded to tap in their Oyster cards at Amersham before making their way to Beaconsfield and then to London Marylebone."

This seems to imply that the last leg of the journey is by London Transport. Strangely, the one way fare was previously quoted as GBP14.90 (which it still is for travel on Saturday) but yesterday it was quoted as GBP7.90. Today it has gone back to 14.90, so why the need for an Oyster card? As an infrequent user of public transport in Britain, I am somewhat nonplussed.
David Clift.

David B

Postby David B » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 am

dclift wrote: As an infrequent user of public transport in Britain, I am somewhat nonplussed.

You are not the only one - there are plenty in this country, too. Ticketing on British railways is a mystery and it is often possible to pay much less than the advertised fare though one needs to be familiar with the complexities to avoid paying over the odds. One day, someone might write a book on it.

I bought a ticket recently from Manchester to Exeter and by 'breaking' the journey at a particular point and buying two tickets, I paid almost 30% less on the same train. It takes a bit longer on the internet, but I frequently find I can pay less than the first given price on journeys other than local ones.

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 am

Hi
Just be aware that you should not go as far as Aylesbury Vale Parkway. This is a newish station on the outscirts of Aylesbury and the other side to Stoke Maneville.
You should detrain at Aylesbury where the bus will take you to the stadium.

There are two routes to Aylesbury,either via Princes Risborough or via Amersham. Without looking at the timetables and costs there is no difference and both will get you to Aylesbury.It will depend on when you get to Marlebone as to which is the next service.

Philbax

dclift

Postby dclift » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

Philbax wrote:Hi
Just be aware that you should not go as far as Aylesbury Vale Parkway.
Philbax

I shall be getting to Aylesbury by bus from Luton airport on the Friday before Scaleforum, so, happily, will not be anywhere near Aylesbury Parkway, but it looks like I might be put onto a bus (which apparently will have originated at Aylesbury Parkway) to get from Aylesbury to London on Sunday evening. I guess I shall find out when I turn up at Aylesbury station, and I probably will not be the only one!
David Clift.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Looking at a map of the railway might help you understand your options on the Sunday. e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Railways.

Amersham is the railhead for the London Transport Metropolitan service to London. The bus taking passengers from there to Beaconsfield goes across country to meet the other Chiltern line down from Birmingham via High Wycombe, which appears to be be running a normal service.

The Chiltern line from Aylesbury to Princes Risborough seems to be running on the 29th. This is a 16 minute journey, connecting directly with Chiltern trains on the Birmingham to Marylebone line. Alternatively, depending on where you want to get to on Sunday night, it might be more convenient to switch from the bus replacement on the direct Aylesbury route to the Metropolitan line at Amersham.

The comment about Oyster Cards is only relevant to people who already possess one.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:21 pm

It does indeed appear that the Aylesbury - Marylebone via Princes Risborough trains are running all day at 23 minutes past the hour, probably better than a bus and met option.
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/sites/default/files/Sunday-29-September-London-Banbury-Stratford-Birmingham.pdf
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:48 pm

There are just three weeks to go. Don't forget that if you haven't already got yours, advance tickets are still available for purchase through the website:
http://www.scalefour.org/s4umtickets/etickets.html

See you there
Danny

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Well, MRJ 225 landed on my doormat this morning, edited by no less than our deputy chairman, inspired according to the editorial by Scaleforum, yet looking in the diary page the only event listed for the 28th/29th is in Halifax, and is there an ad for Scaleforum, no. And the Society ad does not mention the show! The venue is mentioned in the editorial but the dates and times etc. nowhere that I can see. Expo EM north gets a page and a half, however.

Anyway, apart from that an excellent issue, lots of interesting stuff, well done Paul.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Well I thought that gthe guide was really well put together... having received it on Friday. Makes me feel like running away from the family and heading over. Some of my faviorite layouts are there in Black Gill and Halifax Kings cross, Oh well. Will have to content myself with going and doing some modelling!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Yes, the guide is very good, but only goes to members or those who look for it on the website. I suspect there are a few non-members buying the MRJ who might be encouraged to visit Scaleforum by all the excellent content in this issue but will not be able to find the date time or cost in the magazine.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:52 am

Tis a shame really. it seems to be one of the many (don't want to use the word "problem") issues with MRJ, the unknown date of publication before or after S4um... hence it is difficult to get out on time to get people through the turnstiles.. (yes I the new hall and the old hall didn't have them!) The quality of the exhibition looks to be fantastic. I also saw that our flymo was the latest of editors... I wonder if EditorJames might do one in the future (once he has finished the Snooze :) ) as he is doing such a great job of the Snooze. I am looking forward to that issue to see more of Black Gill.. might take a while to get to this side of the earth!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

dclift

Postby dclift » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:28 am

MRJ 225 has yet to reach the antipodes but, in my opinion, Snooze has surpassed recent issues in quality. Maybe with more input from the likes of Paul MRJ will return to its former glory.
David Clift.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 am

One of the attractions at Scaleforum that is missing from the show guide are the lectures, or more precisely the one lecture that will take place on both days.

We are very please that Jim Summers has agreed to give a lecture on the topic of "Earning a living", not his personally, but rather a look at what the railways did, how they operated on a day to day basis, and how we can represent this on our layouts. Some people will know that Jim spent his working life as a professional railwayman ending his career at a senior level with what was British Rail, and has a wealth of experience to share with us. Having had the pleasure at various times of hearing some of Jim's stories, I am sure that we have a very entertaining experience.

The lecture will take place on both days at 11.30am which will enable those who can only come on one day to hear it.

The re-introduction of the lectures at Scaleforum is in response to those members who have requested them, and this particular one covers the request for information about prototype practice.

Terry Bendall

David B

Postby David B » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 am

dclift wrote:MRJ 225 has yet to reach the antipodes . . .

Neither has it got down to my newsagent in Devon yet. Apparently deliveries are on Thursday, so a bit longer to wait, the price I pay for not filling in a form every few months and saving the cost of a stamp for a subscription. When MRJ is invariably late it makes little difference.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Since I am down as demonstrator responsible for trying to help out anyone starting in P4 (or continueing in P4) it would be nice to have a bit of an idea what I might get asked.
So if anyone has anything in mind they would like to discuss feel free to use this topic to give me a bit of a warning, then I will be able to prepare and maybe bring along something relevant to look at.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:08 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:it would be nice to have a bit of an idea what I might get asked.

What a good idea!

Tim and Gordon might appreciate the same thing.

Terry Bendall

nf.newling

Postby nf.newling » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Are we never again going to see Mike Clark and his Masokit range on sale at Scaleforum?
Last edited by nf.newling on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:11 am

nf.newling wrote:Are we never again going to see Mike Clark and his Masokit range on sale at Scaleforum again?

Mike was invited to attend Scaleforum this year, as he was last year. On both occasions Mike has said that he was unable to attend because of other things in his life so there is not a lot we can do about that.

Mike will continue to be on the list of traders that are invited to attend Scaleforum and we will be very pleased to see him whenever he is able to come. It will of course be entirely up to Mike to do so.

Terry Bendall

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:09 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Well, MRJ 225 landed on my doormat this morning, edited by no less than our deputy chairman, inspired according to the editorial by Scaleforum, yet looking in the diary page the only event listed for the 28th/29th is in Halifax, and is there an ad for Scaleforum, no. And the Society ad does not mention the show! The venue is mentioned in the editorial but the dates and times etc. nowhere that I can see. ...

Could be worse. I remember one year when the Scaleforum MRJ advert was published after the show had already taken place :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Exhibitions”