Manston Brewery Ltd - A Brewery Railway

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
RobM

Re: Manston Brewery Ltd

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:That all looks very clever, Rob.

If you want inspiration for details, there are one or two interesting sites on the Web, like this one........

http://www.seppeltsfield.com.au/the-vil ... cooperage/

Thanks Richard........another good one at
http://www.liquidirish.com/2011/06/cooperage-at-kilbeggan-distillery.html

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:30 pm

DougN wrote:Though it really has some interesting traffic, hopps and barley, barrels in and out. Coal to fire the boilers quite a collection of wagons... Let alone some small loco's running around to disassemble and reassemble trains both in and out. Ummmm starting to really look like I should do some research into this as a small layout.

Go for it..........
I was fortunate to get The Brewery Railways of Burton on Trent from http://www.irsociety.co.uk/books/books.htm before they sold out. It has been my main research source. There are loads of bits that I would like to model but no room left.......perhaps another project.
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:57 pm

RobM wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote:That all looks very clever, Rob.

If you want inspiration for details, there are one or two interesting sites on the Web, like this one........

http://www.seppeltsfield.com.au/the-vil ... cooperage/

Thanks Richard........another good one at
http://www.liquidirish.com/2011/06/cooperage-at-kilbeggan-distillery.html

This topic could turn me into an alcoholic

Drink..........! Drink.......................! ;)

David B

Postby David B » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:27 pm

RobM wrote:I was fortunate to get The Brewery Railways of Burton on Trent from http://www.irsociety.co.uk/books/books.htm before they sold out. It has been my main research source. There are loads of bits that I would like to model but no room left.......perhaps another project.
Rob

There is one copy on ABE Books at £106 and another on Amazon at £60.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 pm

davidb wrote:
RobM wrote:I was fortunate to get The Brewery Railways of Burton on Trent from http://www.irsociety.co.uk/books/books.htm before they sold out. It has been my main research source. There are loads of bits that I would like to model but no room left.......perhaps another project.
Rob

There is one copy on ABE Books at £106 and another on Amazon at £60.

Crazy prices.........
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:
This topic could turn me into an alcoholic

Drink..........! Drink.......................! ;)

Beetcha to it..........I have to check each barrel......hic........

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:22 pm

A bit more progress......

The start of another building.
20 hours of butanone abuse sticking down all those setts between the cooperage and whatever the 'new' building is.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Looking good there Rob. I think it is all coming together very quickly for you. Your RSH may need a few friends as the layout looks like it is going to be a busy one with all those barrels.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I can almost detect the smell of hops and brewing from here :thumb

Don't forget all the stray cats (mostly inebriated). Also, some of the piles of casks should be hollow to disguise little dens where the men played cards/had secret drinking sessions when the management wasn't looking. I once worked in a brewery as a graduate trainee, so have experience - but only from a management perspective, of course ;)

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 am

DougN wrote:Looking good there Rob. I think it is all coming together very quickly for you. Your RSH may need a few friends as the layout looks like it is going to be a busy one with all those barrels.

At the moment I am able to work a good 8 hours a day on it.
I have ordered 2 sets of makers and name plates for the RSH so later in the year I'll be ordering another one.

Armchair Modeller wrote:I can almost detect the smell of hops and brewing from here :thumb

I can only smell Butanone.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Still flitting from one area to another and not finishing anything completely but just want to get an idea of where I'm going.............
Have been working on the cask washing plant......

and the current overall view.........

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Rob that looks fantastic.... it is really making me want to build a brewery.... love the photographs.... and if you are not happy with not finishing any of it you should be happy with what you have done so far! Quite brilliant. :mrgreen:
Doug

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:30 am

I think this is superb work, really evoking the feel of the place. All it needs is the scent!

But - I'm worried by that stack of barrels. It looks awfully unstable to me and I have visions of them scattering all over under the weight of the pile. How are they prevented from rolling out under that weight? Did they use wedges? I think they use wooden frames to hold up modern kegs.

(Sorry - a trivial question but I do worry about such things...)

Ian

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 am

Ian,
Didn't you know that 'spillage' was one of the best parts of working in a brewery?
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:36 am

DougN wrote:Rob that looks fantastic.... it is really making me want to build a brewery.... love the photographs.... and if you are not happy with not finishing any of it you should be happy with what you have done so far! Quite brilliant. :mrgreen:

Doug, I'm quite happy not finishing anything yet.........very much like my paintings which are built up with many, many layers over many weeks or months and do not come together until the very end. Guess I'm applying my painting method here, building up the skeleton layer by layer, resolving areas that I had not planned and working out various challenges.

Some of the challenges on this project which I have resolved to my satisfaction include building a loco that works, setts that will follow a curve, the louvre vents on top of the right hand building, being able to provide the number of barrels without breaking the bank, the list goes on.
My enjoyment comes from the actual building and problem solving rather than any form of running trains, well at the moment anyway.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:40 am

clecklewyke wrote:I think this is superb work, really evoking the feel of the place. All it needs is the scent!

But - I'm worried by that stack of barrels. It looks awfully unstable to me and I have visions of them scattering all over under the weight of the pile. How are they prevented from rolling out under that weight? Did they use wedges? I think they use wooden frames to hold up modern kegs.

Ian

My stack is tiny compared to this picture.........http://i.imgur.com/pgl5pJe.jpg

Wedges are used.
Rob

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 am

So that's how they built the pyramids... :geek:

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 am

That photo is very interesting!

Note the rails at bottom right with a drainage channel in-between. I remember something like that at Moray Park Maltings, where I worked for a while after leaving college. This part of the site was long disused, but it seems to have been part of the washing process. I imagine casks would be rolled along the rails in some kind of production line, emptying any remaining contents, washing them out and then rolling them away for stacking, or onto some form of transport to the filling line.

I remember there were large, crudely insulated hot water pipes everywhere. The breweries I saw had a central boiler to heat up the water, which was then piped to wherever it was needed - lots of leaky joints too!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 am

dcockling wrote:So that's how they built the pyramids... :geek:

And it's just as big a mystery to me as to how they got the barrels to the top of the stack.

Amazing!

Ian :-?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

It would be terrific if the archaeologists suddenly realised that the pyramids WERE indeed a means of stacking beer barrels rather than having some religious significance. I think you should send your concept to Simon Schama, Danny.

Now that Ian has raised the question of how they got the barrels to the top of the pile, does anyone know the answer? And how where they taken down? A Buster Keaton scenario springs to mind.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:49 pm

It very much looks as if they were man handled into place. It looks as if a new stack is being built on the right of the photo. Just behind the stack there are a couple of men and there is a man handling a barrel just below the quoins of the light coloured building. Dismantling would be the reverse process unless one had a grudge and kicked away a few wedges...............
Rob

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 pm

RobM wrote:
clecklewyke wrote:I think this is superb work, really evoking the feel of the place. All it needs is the scent!

Ian

My stack is tiny compared to this picture.........http://i.imgur.com/pgl5pJe.jpg

Wedges are used.
Rob

Either way, it will hold a damn lot of yummy beer!!!

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 am

Bit more progress...........

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 am

Some nice weathering on the casks, I see!

What is the stationary boiler - a kit or a home made job? I like the detail like the riveting etc.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 am

Rob, what can I say? This is looking so fantastic I hope you have the opportunity to exhibit it it has really captured my interest in small industry layouts. I am even considering another RSH just for fun. As an aside my RSH has started running trials. Still considering taking the back of the cab off.
Doug

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”