Help on bogies please...

Fishplate

Help on bogies please...

Postby Fishplate » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:28 pm

As a first attemt at a coach I am about to convert and super detail an Airfix GMR auto trailer (Diag A30 - I think?) to 18.83. What bogies and wheel do I need and where can I get kits. I could also do with a good drawing. The OPC GW coach book is not much help on this model. I have been looking at the Dart Castings super detailing kit and that looks good to me. Any advice would be welcome.

Ralph ;)

BryanJohnson

Re: Help on bogies please...

Postby BryanJohnson » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:55 pm

As a source of information, there are articles on the minefield that is the Airfix Autotrailer, including drawings of many details, prototype photographs and a description of the conversion. The Airfix model is a bit of a hybrid of Diagrams A28 and A30.

The articles are in MRJ's 9 and 17 from 20 odd years ago, which as a recent returnee to the hobby you probably don't have. If you can wait a few days I'll scan and email off-list.

The bogie technology available will have greatly improved since the articles were written. I'd look at Bill Bedford suspension units with possibly the Airfix sides, although I'm sure others can give a more definite answer from experience.

Regards,

Bryan Johnson

MPR

Postby MPR » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:50 pm

The Airfix autocoach is very close to the A30 diagram, with only the location of the battery boxes and vacuum cylinders on the underframe being markedly wrong. The A28 has flush doors and more significantly from the point of view of your question, 7'0" bogies rather than the 9'0" of the A30/Airfix model.
As has been stated, the articles in the early MRJs are very useful, but the instructions in the (excellent) Dart Castings kit are comprehensive and will certainly enable you to make good progress.
I have retained the original bogies on my model and fitted Gibson? wheels, which was very quick and easy. (I have used MJT parts on other straightforward conversions reusing the original bogies sides as overlays), with a little extra detailing from wire for sandpipes and safety loops they look very nice.
Wild Swan have published a comprehensive history of GW Autocoaches in two parts; it is as impressive as all their other publications. Russell GW Coaches Vol 2 also has some images.
I very much enjoyed building mine - I have uploaded a few pictures which shows the difference the underframe detailing makes to the look of the model. Good luck and have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:24 pm

That's a good red, what paint did you use?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”