Scalefour North 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
dcockling

Scalefour North 2013

Postby dcockling » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:58 am

Scalefour North will take place at the usual venue in Wakefield on 20th and 21st April 2013.

Preliminary details are now on the Shows Page of the website and will be updated as more information becomes available.

All the Best
Danny

David Thorpe

Re: Scalefour North 2013

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Once again I see that Premier Inn have £29 rooms available at their Wakefield hotels throughout the weekend of the show. For the last two years I've I stayed at the Wakefield Central one and have booked there again this year - it was very acceptable and, being on the edge of Thornes park, it is only a very pleasant walk across the park to the show venue. Lots of parking and an adjoining pub.

DT

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Impressive picture on the front of the Snooze of Knutsford with 14 coaches. I'm looking forward to seeing the new staging roads!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Tim V wrote:Impressive picture on the front of the Snooze of Knutsford with 14 coaches. I'm looking forward to seeing the new staging roads!

Me too. Knutsford? 14 coaches on out version of Knutsford would take most of the length of the visible layout and would be 3 time the length of the existing fiddle yards.

Will - awaiting my copy of Snooze 181 with interest.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:15 pm

How many Knutsford's are around?
Tim V

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Tim V wrote:How many Knutsford's are around?

Just the one I'm aware of, and will be at Scalefour North this year, so you will have the pleasure of seeing us trying to run 14 coach trains then. Or not.

Will

James Moorhouse

Postby James Moorhouse » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Tim V wrote:How many Knutsford's are around?

Actually two that I know of: Knutsford East Junction (CLC) and Knutsford Junction (LNW). The photograph that appeared on the front cover of Scalefour News 181 was of Knutsford Junction (LNW) and is based on a part of the Manchester branch of the West Coast Mainline near Chelford.

You are unlikely to ever see Knutsford Junction (LNW) at an exhibition: it is more or less a permanent installation.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Well, that's sorted that out, but a little misleading to have a picture on the front of the same magazine that features a layout of almost the same name at a show :shock:
Tim V

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 am

Yet to receive my hard copy of Edition 181, but the online version's cover confused me at first as it seems to be a year old. How I wish I could turn the clock back that readily!

If the hotel price is right then a two-day visit looks to be within my means, but why do nearly all the Sunday trains from Westgate to South West England apparently involve a bus leg into Sheffield?

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 am

Tim V wrote:Well, that's sorted that out, but a little misleading to have a picture on the front of the same magazine that features a layout of almost the same name at a show :shock:

Are, now I understand. The view on the front of Snooze 181 is of Chelford (on the LNWR Stockport/Crewe Line) from where a connecting was proposed to the nearby town of Knutsford, on the CLC line (Chester to Mancheter Central). Hence Knutsford junction. Knutsford East Junction is at the other end of this quite short line.

The same fantasy and fertile imagination gave rise to both and a consistency of style and colour choices is evident. Blame Dick Petter for both.

The Chelford-Knutsford branch was proposed by the LNWR but was never built as they got running powers over the CLC instead, used to deliver lots of limestone to Brunner Mond at Northwich.

The model version of Chelford lives in Dick's loft (actually a much nicer railway room than the word Loft suggest). When Knutsford East was proposed for the original P4 challenge, the intention was that it would ultimately be installed on the other end of the branch from Chelford to make one layout, but Knustford East may have outgrown this fate now.

Will

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 am

but the online version's cover confused me at first as it seems to be a year old.

As does the hard copy :)
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:55 am

So my 2012 membership still applies and I can ignore the subscription renewal form?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:So my 2012 membership still applies and I can ignore the subscription renewal form?

Look, don't take the mick too much out of YoungEditorJames!

I haven't yet had time to take my copy on S4News out of the cover and yet I can see that it's been given a very subtle redesign that looks very fresh. Don't let one small typo haunt the poor lad for the rest of his editorship.

As the punchline goes to the old joke...

"A scraggly old Greek man in a dusty village speaks to a group of strangers.

“See that school? I built that school – with my own hands. Ten years it took, and thousands of children have been schooled there, but nobody talks about Stavros the school-builder. Nobody!

See that hospital? I built it with these very hands. Fifteen years it took. Countless lives have been saved there, children born, the sick cured, but nobody ever talks about Stavros the man who built the hospital. Nobody!

..."

Let sleeping dogs (or goats) lie ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

James Moorhouse

Postby James Moorhouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Look, don't take the mick too much out of YoungEditorJames!

Why not, he deserves all he gets, the cheeky little upstart! It is through receiving criticism and feedback, and, importantly, doing something about it, that things improve. A public disembowelling would do him good and avert such a crime reoccurring.

No matter how many times or how hard you check, there is almost always something that gets through the proof-reading process. The incorrect date on the front cover was only noticed when the web version was being updated to include a more interactive Scalefour North Guide. The archive version of Scalefour News has now been updated with a fully interactive and repositioned Scalefour North Guide and cover (or cover-up!) showing the correct date.

David B

Postby David B » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm

DaveyTee wrote:Once again I see that Premier Inn have £29 rooms available at their Wakefield hotels throughout the weekend of the show. For the last two years I've I stayed at the Wakefield Central one and have booked there again this year - it was very acceptable and, being on the edge of Thornes park, it is only a very pleasant walk across the park to the show venue. Lots of parking and an adjoining pub.

DT

I've just booked up at Premier Wakefield Central. However, they didn't have any rooms left at £29 for the Saturday night - they are now £39.

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 pm

As to typo's, I managed one in the first line of my manuscript sent to Editorjames for the latest issue! My proof-reading failed to note that I referred to engine No.81 (it's line 2 in the issue, I think). It should have been No.85 of course.

I haven't dared read the rest of the article.....

Keep up the excellent work, Sir!

Best wishes

Steve

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm

If there are several of us staying at Wakefield Central, maybe we could get together on Friday evening in the adjoining pub?

I'm pleased to see in the Snooze that name badges are to be available for those who request them at least a week before the show. If you want one (please do!) email your details to badge4scale4north@scalefour.org and a badge will be ready for you at the show. Needless to say, I'm getting my email off straight away!

DT

David B

Postby David B » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:31 pm

DaveyTee wrote:If there are several of us staying at Wakefield Central, maybe we could get together on Friday evening in the adjoining pub?

You're on. Anyone else??

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 pm

davidb wrote:
DaveyTee wrote:If there are several of us staying at Wakefield Central, maybe we could get together on Friday evening in the adjoining pub?

You're on. Anyone else??

Hmmm... My wife is due to be racing at Scarborough on the Sunday.

However this does sound as though there is the makings of a plan coming together for Friday/Saturday morning. It's going to depend on whether there is a full day of practice on the Saturday.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:11 pm

There is an updated version of the Scalefour North guide available for download: http://www.scalefour.org/shows/s4north-guide.pdf

This has all the latest information included, as well as lots of links so that you can prepare for the show by looking up the traders latest offerings, checking out the travel (with correct grid reference for those who like proper maps!), or just read about some of the related topics.

I've tested this on both Apple and Android devices, and it seems to be OK with all the PDF viewers so far. You can read it on a Kindle, but the links don't work - that's a Kindle feature.

The Scalefour North guide is put together nearly six months before the show. Having this electronic copy seems like a good idea to keep everyone updated with any changes that may occur. If you have any comments on this then please let me know.

See you in Wakefield on April 20th/21st!
James Dickie

My workbench

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 am

Wizard of the Moor wrote:This has all the latest information included, as well as lots of links

What is not evident from Scalefour News 181 is the the Scalefour North guide has been produced by James Dickie who has kindly agred to take the production of all the guides for the three Society events. As you will see, James has introduced some innovations, including the web links and there is a seemless join betrwwn the two parts of the publication.

Since I am involved with producing the material for the Scaleforum guide which then goes off to be laid out, in the last few years by Jim Summers, and now by James, I know that there is a lot of work involved in getting the material fit to go to the printers. Just an example of one of the many people who is willing to give up their time to keep the Society running.

Terry Bendall

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Terry Bendall wrote: Just an example of one of the many people who is willing to give up their time to keep the Society running.

Terry Bendall

And its very much appreciated, thanks to all.
Steve Carter

pheald

Postby pheald » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm pleased to see in the Snooze that name badges are to be available for those who request them at least a week before the show. If you want one (please do!) email your details to badge4scale4north@scalefour.org and a badge will be ready for you at the show. Needless to say, I'm getting my email off straight away!

DT

Just ordered my badge. Well done Scalefour North in taking up this idea.

I am sure meeting in a suitable pub the night before would be good.Any suggestions? (It does seem a long way to go to enjoy DaveyTee's company however).

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm

A sneak preview of Humber Dock, taken at dusk. I hope the model looks as good...

Fancy a pint at the Athena? Mine's a Hull Brewery Mild, please,

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

That photo looks brilliant - very atmospheric. :thumb

Return to “Exhibitions”