Bradwell Q6

DougN

Re: Bradwell Q6

Postby DougN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am

Well I have only been doing a little modelling over the last few weeks (work has got a bit busy!! :( !) I have been putting all the twidly bits on...
So here are a couple of photos.... still not complete but getting closer! The cab is not complete (regulator handle is missing) Though I am happy with the outcome so far. It might get to the same standard as the new Hornby Locos :shock: when finished. The windows do open and close but I am a little concerned I can't see how to paint the window frames to match a timber frame! The tender is in bits at the moment as I could't see the point of reassembly until after I have painted all of it. I also need to install the alex jackson coupling before I paint it also!

DSC_0452.JPG

DSC_0453.JPG

I will make the one suggestion to others if they are building a Q6 and that is to make the cab interior removable as I have suggested a couple of pages back as this means you can get into it to solder allthe bits on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:23 am

It has again been some time since I posted the progress on the Q6. As you may have read I have been playing with a air brush for while. After showing the finish on the Black Hawthorn to a number of the Melbourne group who all liked the satin finish that came from the Tamyia spray pack of Satin black ( I am not sure that you can get the spray packs in the UK. I hope so!) So I managed to find a supplier here in Melbourne as the last can had run out. In my usual way I have scrubbed the loco body with "ësteele sause pan cleaner" As I can't find an equivilent to shiney sinks here (also been looking for Johnsons floor Klear but that is another storey). Cleaned and now primed with "powerplus etch primer" sprayed with the tamyia. I left the body on the tv Shelf for about 2 weeks to harden and to think about the next step. I wasn't really happy with the all over satin black... Q6's always seem in photos to be grubby things, even the photos I took of the Q6 at Grosmont show it to be a bit grotty! SO I thought of spraying Humbrol Matt black which I find is absolutely dead matt. I started the process yesterday morning and as I was decanting paint around though to add just a dot to the 2ml of black of Humbrol 186 which is a dark brown. THis is just to give a little bit of warmth to the black. The end result was
DSC_0467.JPG

So the smokebox, foot plate, and tender underframe and tender top (though not obvious in the photo). Have the matt black. I think it works quite well. Just looking at the photo I think I might paint the Cab roof in the matt Black also. Below is my photo from Grosmont.
Q6 NYMR S4.jpg

As I have a bad habit of starting new things before I finish the last ones. :o This is the next thing in the collection to get started.
DSC_0468.JPG

Yes it is a LRM G5... I am even going to give it a new thread of its own!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Doug
That looks great - you've got to be pleased?

Mike

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 pm

I am Mike, I am :D . It is the one skill that I have not yet perfected is painting. As I am finding not that many how to articles mention the paint that has been used to achieve the finish. A good example is Tim Shakletons' weathering DVD he mentions the paint colours from humbrol and Revell but doesn't mention the ratios of each one other than "a bout half of this one, half of this one and some more of this, then a fair bit of white sprit" So I am trying to write it all down so that 1. I have a record of what I did (above was 1.5ml of matt black to 1ml of thinners, to a literal drip off a iceypole stick of Brown) and 2. others can start on the path more easily. I know I am only scratching the surface on paints, preparation and finishing but I hope I have helped others on the way.

One thing I didn't mention above was I had used the Tamiya masking tape to mask off the areas I didn't want to get the matt paint onto. which I have to say works very well.

I now need to finish off the brake gear on the tender and the chassis. It is running but I think it can be made to run even better. I know the slide bars are still too tight on the cross heads.
Doug

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 am

Hi Doug
Your not the only one who has issues with that DVD, wonderful work, but no real objectivity as to the 'how'. I also purchased his book and that is a little clearer, but some of the methods in the book aren't on the DVD.
I like the 'oily rag' look on my big green engines, there are steps in the DVD that are missed out in the book and vice versa. Whether this is a cunning plan - who could say - but I did find the 'try some this added to some of that' attitude puzzling, as like you I like measurements to know what I'm doing.

End rant. :x

Still like the engine, and good luck with the weathering.

Mike

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am

Well during this last week I sat down and spent some time getting the chassis to run freely. I tracked down that the bind in the front axle was due to the recess for the crank pin nut being out of round to the crank pin. therefore the nut would bind once a revolution. a minute very gently running a burr around the recess in the Dremel. All very quick and easy but it took about 2 hours to track the bind down and clear it out! :evil: The next thing I wanted to get the coupling rods running nicely in the cross heads and slide bars. So a little bit of fettling allowing a little more clearance which has allowed a sliding movement that is smooth and even but not stiff or sticky :evil: . The test for theses parts I found to be running in the bear chassis on crank pins but with out the crank pin nuts. Yes it all worked and they sat beautifully. I have also found that I forgot to put the tail rods on the cylinders so I will have to remedy this during the weekend! :)

As Mike noticed I am actually really happy with how this has all worked out. Once I have it all together with some of the missing bits on I will take a few more photos for the topic.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:22 am

Well I have been feeling rather remiss as this year has gone by, well since 27th April... and I haven't done any modelling.... well not really.. I have but as life does every so often it does get in the way of modelling! In working for a company that went under in at the start of July then working but unpaid for a month... then ending up on contract which has ended up as a full time position... there have been a few ups and a few too many downs as the life year goes. But at long last I have managed to 1 feel like posting some thing of use 2, been actually able to do so! So What Have I been up too in the last 7 months

I will start by going backwards :shock: the little latest thing I have had a go at was a P4 Track Co point. I actually enjoyed building it and I think I may build more once I figure out what Layout I want to build
DSC_0322.JPG

This is the overall point. Rather nice I did make some boo bo's but as it was a practise I enjoyed it and I can see how the kits were/are supposed to go together and with the changes to the distribution no doubt in the years I will buy at least a few more!

I was most impressed by the V and the blades
DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0324.JPG

the tie bars are actually the C&L ones I am not sure how to make these work and have been reading knuckles thread... ummmm I think to my self. a problem to be dealt with in the distant future!

Next one back was demonstrating at the Croydon MRC exhibition... no not the one in the UK but the local one here in Melbourne. Where due to the lowish attendance I managed to do a lot of the detailing work on the G5.
DSC_0325.JPG

I have enjoyed building the kit but the chassis does perplex me as to how to get the thing to go around a A6 cross over on the MFG (Melbourne Finescale Group) test track which is residing in my front room until I do a few more mod's to make it all work!

Now back to where all this started in the Q6. Which now looks a lot like this:-
DSC_0326.JPG

So now with a couple of weeks off on leave... though soldering today is not a nice idea as it is 38 here in Melbourne... and 2 kids screaming at each other due to being over tired!

I will see if I can advance some of my things forward after Christmas day!
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:19 am

A Bradwell Q6 kit went on eBay a couple of weeks ago. I think it struggled to make a hundred quid in the end. No, I didn't buy it.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:29 pm

well you could have mentioned that I would have been interested. they are a nice kit to put together! :D
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Who knows, someone on this Forum probably bought it.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

UPDATE: looks like I might have got hold of a cut-price Bradwell Q6 after all :D

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 am

Well they do go together nicely. It is good to hear another one will be built! :D

My modelling waxes and wanes and may have started again...but doing OO..... I will get back to the Q6, and G5 both of which have come a long way! Even with returning to work :? I keep looking at modelling things again this year. Though it is a little hot in this part of the world at the moment (mid to high 30's with a few lower and a few higher :shock:, another bad year for bush fires... poor Tasmania)
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am

DougN wrote:....It is good to hear another one will be built! :D ....

Eventually.

We've been seeing all the bush fire reports over here, and it's all quite overwhelming.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 am

Most of south east Australia is on fire at the moment. Southern NSW is copping the brunt at the moment. Tassy is still going. Vic has some in around Portland South West corner of the state. thankfully the Vic bushfires have kept away from the areas that burnt 2 years ago. I am not sure if some of those communities could cope with another fire of a large magnatude!

On Modelling I have a New hornby O1 which does run very nicely.. I am still not sure about the engineering of that front pony...same as on the L1 but they can play up so easily! Lovely model though. Seems a bit crazy that the RTR manufacturers are concerntrating on 2-8-0's for the LNER. I have an Austerity, a O4, an O1... then the tango comming out in the next 12 months. I would ask for another 0-6-0 or 5 !
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Q6 is in the post, with complete wheelsets!

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 am

Well, Horse, I hope this little description helps when you decide to have a go at building it. BUT if you decide that it is surplus to requirements I am always interested! I have a J26/27 on the shelf maturing nicely... but the G5 &Q6 must be completed prior to me opening the box. (I know all the wheels are in there too) I still say I am doing too much at work and not enough modelling.
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 pm

UPDATE: Kit just arrived :D - looks magnificent, and quite a bargain. 8-)

Seller also dropped a heavy hint by slipping in a membership application form for NELPG :mrgreen:

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 am

Well it is nice... I think it is Mr bradwell who puts in the NELPG membership flyer... I recall seeing one at some time.
Doug

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 am

I'll betray my complete ignorance of North Eastern Railway engines by asking whether Dave Bradwell's drawing is correct in showing a brake pull rod linkage between engine and tender - and if the drawing is correct, how on earth did they avoid wear in the linkage caused by horizontal displacement of tender relative to engine whilst working?

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 am

John Palmer wrote:.... asking whether Dave Bradwell's drawing is correct in showing a brake pull rod linkage between engine and tender - and if the drawing is correct, how on earth did they avoid wear in the linkage caused by horizontal displacement of tender relative to engine whilst working?

As luck would have it, I have Dave's instructions for the tender right here, and he writes:

"North Eastern Railway goods engines not fitted for continuous braking used a single steam cylinder on the engine to operate both the engine brakes and those on the tender via a link. There was no brake cylinder on the tender in these cases. Eventually separate brake cylinders were fitted to Q7 tenders between September 1948 and June 1951. Other classes were not modified."

There is no note about wear or damage in service, but I see what you mean - the near-constant lateral movement must have loosened things!
Last edited by Horsetan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Fascinating - thanks!

Ex Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0 53808 showed quite severe cutting into the rear area of the main frames by the trailing driving wheelset when she went into restoration, indicating significant lateral movement at this end. No doubt the S&D engine's leading truck helped to steer the front end into curves, and possibly this had the effect of exacerbating such lateral movement at the rear. The big overhang at both ends of the Q6 suggest that such movement might have become quite pronounced as a result of wear, but maybe the North Eastern engines had better designed axle bearings that mitigated this.

Perhaps the fitting of brake cylinders to Q6 tenders was actually prompted by wear to the linkage?

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Carried out a little further research...

As it happens, failure of the brake connecting link between Q6 engine and tender was identified as the primary cause of the accident at South Pelaw Junction that took place on 25 April 1942. The Inspector’s report, accessible at http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=1384, provides interesting additional information about the extensive adoption of this rigging arrangement on NER locomotives. The report concludes that the failure was the product of a defect in the billet from which the part of the linkage that failed had been manufactured. Evidently the linkage seldom required attention during the interval between general repairs, during which the locomotive was expected to accumulate a mileage of at least 55,000, so wear seems not to have been a problem.

More than the required number of wagon brakes had been pinned down before the train in question commenced the seven mile descent from Annfield Plain to South Pelaw, but it appears already to have been out of control by the time it reached West Stanley. The signalman at West Pelaw elected to divert the runaway over a crossover road and a facing connection into a mineral branch with a rising grade. Whilst the locomotive negotiated the crossover, a derailment occurred at the 4th or 5th wagon, leading to all but two vehicles in the train coming off the road, including the locomotive. The engine crew chose to remain aboard; sadly they perished as a result of the accident.

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 pm

John You obviously found the information before I had a chance to mention it! the brake gear is always some thing I struggle with, therefore it is usually the last thing to be installed. I have made up the loco brake gear but just havn't fettled it to work on a working locomotive!

It appears I might get some modelling done today :)
Doug

Return to “Steam Locomotives”