Heljan Diesel conversions

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Heljan Diesel conversions

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:I'll be doing a Bachmann 8750 as well in due course, interested in Tim V's re-motoring comments (something I'd like to do for a couple of my Heljan diesels).

Interested in why you would want to change motors on a Heljan diesel Tim. I have only converted their Class 47s and we have not found any problems with the motors.

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Re: Heljan Diesel conversions

Postby Tim V » Sun May 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Well your question was directed at Tim M, but I know that the Heljan diesel motors are not very efficient, taking a lot of current to unstick and run, getting overheated on longer runs. Branchlines did a conversion kit for Heljan diesels.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Sun May 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Heljan motors seem to be a real mixed bag, personally (running on DCC) I have not had any issues with the motors in any of my heljan locos. However, I do know of many people who have reported poor performance (and in a few cases burnouts (this was before the mess with their Claytons). Certainly the Heljan motor draws an awful lot more current than other manufactures.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun May 10, 2009 11:34 pm

There seem to be some QC problems with Heljan. I found that one bogie of my 27 had a bit of a problem with a gear axle out of true and that the lubricant was poorly distributed. The sides of the cab were not trimmed to allow for the tablet catcher pocket and as a result the body fit left much to be desired. This was easily fixed but... The Claytons seem to be a veritable minefield with problems in the worm gear bearings, lubrication everywhere but where it is supposed to be, bunged up commutators and motors that unwittingly act as smoke generators. There is a thread devoted to these woes in RMweb: http://tinyurl.com/oploao
or if you prefer the whole url: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... n+class+17
Mine arrives next week so I'm ready to do surgery on all the obvious things before it turns a wheel.

Which brings me to a question, has anyone tried turning down Heljan wheels to P4 profiles?

Cheers,

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I used Branchlines all metal wheels in my Hymek, just filed off the pinpoints.

I'm using the original Heljan wheels in the end of my pin chucks to put against the palms of my hands (waste not want not) :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
Captain Kernow wrote:I'll be doing a Bachmann 8750 as well in due course, interested in Tim V's re-motoring comments (something I'd like to do for a couple of my Heljan diesels).

Interested in why you would want to change motors on a Heljan diesel Tim. I have only converted their Class 47s and we have not found any problems with the motors.

Terry Bendall

I think that the reasons have now been logged by those who have already posted, Terry, the motors seem to require a lot of current to start and some don't even seem able to maintain a constant speed in DC mode, requiring vigilence on the controller when operating/shunting.

Do Branchlines still do the conversion kit?
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

IBlenkinsopp

Postby IBlenkinsopp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi,
Anyone got any hints/tips for fitting exacto wheels to Class 26?

Thanks

Ian Bl.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm

I think the short answer is don't.
So far as I am aware Exactoscale don't do any diesel wheels and the axle design for their coach wheels would not suit.
I would recommend Branchlines 3'7" wheels as the solid metal construction makes it simple to arrange pickups and they are concentric, wobble free and run well.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:51 pm

IBlenkinsopp wrote:Hi,

Did you mean Ultrascale?

Dead easy if you did, there is a digest in draft form on it if you did and let us know to get an advanced copy. If you actually meant Exactoscale wheels I am firmly with Keith on that as a no!

I have not had problems with Heljan motors, although the draws a lot of current comment is agreed to and this may well mean that there are issues if there is any variability in build.
Mark Tatlow

IBlenkinsopp

Postby IBlenkinsopp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that, I did mean Ultrascale of course, still new to all of this!!
I would like to see the digest sheet when it becomes available.

Thanks for your help

Ian Bl.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Another potential source for wheels is the KeanMaygib coach wheel which I have used with success to do a number of conversions (2 Heljan 27s and Bachmann 20). They have the advantage of a solid metal wheel making fitting or modifying pickups easy. Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock in S4stores at the moment and I had difficulty getting them from other sources earlier on this year. If they do come back I highly recommend them.

HTH

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Another potential source for wheels is the KeanMaygib coach wheel which I have used with success to do a number of conversions (2 Heljan 27s and Bachmann 20). They have the advantage of a solid metal wheel making fitting or modifying pickups easy.

Exactly the same advantages as the Branchlines (Steam Era) wheels.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:08 am

the fatadder wrote:Heljan motors seem to be a real mixed bag, personally (running on DCC) I have not had any issues with the motors in any of my heljan locos. However, I do know of many people who have reported poor performance (and in a few cases burnouts (this was before the mess with their Claytons). Certainly the Heljan motor draws an awful lot more current than other manufactures.

Wonder if a big coreless (Maxon?), or Canon's famous 1833 might be a workable replacement?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”