Best adhesive for RTR additions

jls_s4

Best adhesive for RTR additions

Postby jls_s4 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 pm

I am converting a Bachmann 57xx to P4. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a reliable adhesive to attach styrene and brass parts to the plastic material that the chassis is made from? Mek does not even touch it!

Ashley

Re: Best adhesive for RTR additions

Postby Ashley » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:19 am

Have you tried an epoxy based super glue like Hafix?

What about Gorilla glue?

Personally I'd be inclined to drill and pin the plastic to the metal.
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from poor judgment.

http://www.clag.org.uk/

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:57 pm

I don't know an adhesive that will do the trick, but have you tried screws/nuts and bolts or rivets?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jls_s4

Postby jls_s4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:55 pm

Your suggestions certainly hold merit - I have not actually tried anything yet (except MEK). My initial problem will be to attach brake pull-rods to the plastic brake block hangers (these had to be cut off for the P4 wheels), also brake block overlays to space them out to match the wheels - there is not a lot of material to work with so drilling would be difficult. Perhaps replacing the hanger would be best, just mounted on a wire per normal chassis construction!

Jeff

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Jim

If you look on this thread, I've posted some pictures of the Bachmann chassis where I haven't cut off the pull rods, these locos go round 3' radius.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=68
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Jeff,

Try PolyZAP, from the ZAP range. I use it for gluing the really tough things, like what you are referring to.
It is a flexible cyano of sorts, and as a plus doesn't seem to "fog" clear plastics either. I bought it to glue clear styrene to aluminum. (coach windows)
It dries a little slower, 1 minute or so.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:37 pm

As a follow up to this thread, I have been using Gorilla glue superglue for the last couple of months or so, on the recommendation of modellers from a local hobby shop.
I have found it to be excellent, even better than Polyzap and less brittle than other CA type glues.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/superglue/index.aspx
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

jls_s4

Postby jls_s4 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:48 pm

As this thread has re-appeared I should update it. I ended up using thin brass strip for the pull-rods drilled to suit some small brass pan headed rivets. I carefully drilled an interference hole in each hanger, pushed the rivets through the rod and hanger and snipped off the protruding end. The plastic has sufficient grip to keep the rivets secure.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Whenever dealing with this slippery plastic I try to drill and pin, but as an alternative or addition De-Luxe materials do some glues specifically for this purpose, you do have to be a bit desperate to pay their prices though. The link is from the Scalefour website links page.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”