AGM 2012

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
David Thorpe

AGM 2012

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:03 pm

In case some people can't make up their minds as to whether to make the trip to Linlithgow for the AGM next June, can I just point out that the Perth Model Railway Club Exhibition is held that same weekend (23rd/24th June). It's generally accepted that Perth is the best railway modelling show in Scotland, so perhaps an added inducement for those thinking of coming up to the AGM on the Saturday would be a Sunday visit to Perth, a mere 41 miles away, mostly on motorway. There's also of course the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway which is only minutes away from Linlithgow.

It's maybe a little early to mention this, but I thought it might be useful for anyone planning their summer holidays!

DT

HowardGWR

Re: AGM 2012

Postby HowardGWR » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Many thanks Davey, thats very tempting. Should one not also point out the train services rather than motorways? I looked at the map and it looked do-able by train quite easily (both destinations).

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Very well said, Howard. The only disadvantage of the train is that it would mostly involve a change at Stirling (not necessarily a disadvantage to the enthusiast!). Both venues are within 5 minutes walk of their respective stations, however.

Allan F

jasp

Postby jasp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:13 pm

I am intrigued by the statement "Its generally accepted that Perth is the best railway modelling show in Scotland"
Who generally accepts?
Where does this information come from?
Jim

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:18 pm

I made sure that I said that it was the best railway modelling show rather than the best model railway show (though I think it is that too). This is certainly common ground among our P4 group and I haven't yet met a P4 modeller in Scotland who hasn't agreed with it in the event of the subject being raised. (I now of course await posts from loads of P4 modellers in Scotland disagreeing :twisted: ). However, if it suits you better, I'll rephrase it: "In my experience, it is generally accepted......" How about that? :)

DT

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Having just spent a beautiful warm spring morning in Linlithgow confirming details with the Low Port Centre, where we shall be holding the AGM, I felt it might be worth reminding everyone about it.
Fuller details will be in a supplement in the next Scalefour News, but here is an outline.

- Linlithgow is a very attractive historic town on a loch. Good walks there and along the canal (there is a canal museum and boat trips, including one to the Falkirk Wheel on the Sunday). Plenty there and in the area for partners, if you want to make a weekend of it (recommended);

- It has four trains an hour from Edinburgh, two from Glasgow, and two from Stirling. Virgin, CrossCountry, East Coast, and TransPennine all serve Edinburgh and Glasgow, and ScotRail runs the useful sleeper from Euston.

- The venue is across the road from the station. It is straight off the M9 motorway, and there is ample free parking at the venue.

- It should be possible on the Saturday morning to fly to Edinburgh Airport, which is not far away;

- entertainment on the day of the AGM consists of various layouts, some of which will surprise you, and after the AGM Harry Knox will be talking about his days at Haymarket Depot on steam locos. Harry has also offered a guided tour of Linlithgow;

- an evening meal for members and partners has been arranged on Saturday evening at a restaurant looking to the Forth Rail Bridge. Please advise me, though, if you wish to participate. Being mid-summer, it will be light till 2300 or later.

- on Sunday, I am hoping to arrange for an early opening of the Scottish Railway Museum at Bo'ness, so that members can visit that before a run on the train the Bo'ness and Kinniel railway, and visit behind the scenes;

- also on Sunday there is the Perth Model Railway Show, which I agree is a good show, and very convenient;

- for those more into canals, see my note above; the Falkirk Wheel is a remarkable affair and worth the effort, and Falkirk also has the Roman Wall (Antonine's) if you are into antiquity;

- the locals will assist with other sightseeing, whether in Edinburgh, Glasgow or beyond.

Accommodation can be in demand, and in Edinburgh is expensive, but consider the surrounding area such as Polmont, Falkirk, Livingston, South Queensferry or even across the Forth Bridge in Dunfermline, or North Queensferry.

English banknotes are accepted everywhere, and the whole area is Olympics-free.

I hope to be able to welcome many of you to our first-ever AGM in Scotland.

Jim

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Linlithgow_Station.jpg

Low_Port_Centre.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

DaveyTee wrote:I made sure that I said that it was the best railway modelling show rather than the best model railway show (though I think it is that too). This is certainly common ground among our P4 group and I haven't yet met a P4 modeller in Scotland who hasn't agreed with it in the event of the subject being raised. (I now of course await posts from loads of P4 modellers in Scotland disagreeing :twisted: ). However, if it suits you better, I'll rephrase it: "In my experience, it is generally accepted......" How about that? :)

DT

I dunno DT

Among the online community it is generally accepted (or stated) that Perth is considered the best show in Scotland. It consistently gets these sorts of comments in the same way railex does among English shows

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Not the most attractive view of the station, Danny, but it is an attractive station, and is reckoned to be the first station ever to have been photographed in the whole of the cosmos. A plaque says so!

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:15 pm

The arrival of the News having reminded me I have just been looking at available accomodation. It looks as though nearly everything is sold out and what is left is at prohibitive prices. i can't really justify £400 for an AGM visit even with a number of other attractions etc.
Any suggestions from those in the know?
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Keith how about accommodation somewhere along the railway line. Linlithgow is very well saved by rail, Falkirk is 10 mins or so and Glasgow is only 30 mins away.

John

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Depart London Saturday 23rd 07.00, arr. Linlithgow 12.03. Current fare (standard class) £27.25.
Go to AGM, train and dinner. Stay overnight in B&B. (Don't know if you've tried any of these - http://www.roomfinderscotland.co.uk/map ... townid=133)
Sunday 24th: Get lift to Perth (hopefully). Arrive in time for opening at 10.00 am. Leave at 12.30. Go to Perth station, catch 13.05 which, after 2 changes, gets you to london at 20.05. Current Standard fare £38.15. OR
After Perth, go back to Linlithgow B&B. On Mopnday dept Linlithgow 09.14 for Londopn, standard fare currently £36.25, Or treat yourself, catch the 13.14 (an important figure in Scottish history) and travel first class to London for £47.50.
That's all assuming that you con't have a railcard.

(Prices, of course, may well have changed even as I type this!)

DT

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm travelling up (although I suppose 'down' is actually correct) on the sleeper on Friday, Euston to Edinburgh, staying at the Premier Inn 'Falkirk Central' (booked two months ago) on the Saturday night and returning home on Sunday.

All the Best
Danny

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Also for local accommodation http://www.linlithgow.com/stay.htm

Allan F

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Thought I should report that it has been a beautiful sunny day down Linlithgow way.

Which is one way of reminding everyone that the locals are looking forward to meeting members at the AGM on Saturday.

If coming by car, best approach from the East via the M9 or come early from other directions, as there are some temporary road closures for a couple of hours on the west side from about 1100. The Low Port Centre is on the east side of the town anyway. If coming by train, then of course the centre is just across the road.

As a reminder of the less formal activities, we will be presenting for your delight:

- Lindsay Galloway's new "Barnton" with his innovations for quick assembly
- "Calderside" in Caledonian days from the West of Scotland Group;
- Richard Darby's ever popular "Blackston Jn." on a cold winter's day;
- Richard Chown's capstan working and quaintness on Port Lairge Wharf;
- the debut of Richard Chown's essay in Norwegian narrow gauge "Fangfoss";
- part of John Crompton's essay in Irish mixed gauge;
- Richard Hollingworth showing the things which go to make the fine Parkside Dundas kits;
- Ian Terrell showing how the designing goes for the etches in his NB 4mm Developments series;
- Jeremy and the Scalefour Stores;
- Harry Knox, author of books on firing days at Haymarket and the history of the depot, telling us about life on the East Coast Pacifics and lesser fry. Harry tells a good tale.

Oh yes, and there is an AGM to deal with, but we don't want it to delay Harry getting going and finishing in time for the sociable meal down by the riverside at South Queensferry and The Bridge.

For those not rushing away but wishing to spend the weekend, we'll have an information stand about things to do.

- On Sunday, Harry Knox will be offering a guided tour around the historic town of Linlithgow, including the shop which figured in the Leveson Inquiry;
- My wife is happy to give a conducted tour of Edinburgh on Sunday afternoon;
- Richard Chown is opening "Castle Rackrent", now an amazing 40-years old and still great fun on Sunday;
- I'll be taking folk on a tour of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society Museum and workshops at Bo'ness;
- the Falkirk Wheel is worth a trip (book if you want a boat trip);
- and there are boat trips and the canal museum at Linlithgow, the 17th century village of Culross over the Forth, the reciprocating engine of the ancient steamer "Sir Walter Scott" on Loch Katrine, Stirling Castle, the Roman Wall at Falkirk and Callendar House, the Royal Yacht in Leith, etc.

With all these splendid things in the near neighbourhood, it is a wonder we get any modelling done at all.

Hope to see lots of folk on Saturday and Sunday.

Jim

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Oops! How could I forget to mention the Perth Model Railway Show on the Sunday.

Always a good show, and this weekend it will have Tim Rogers, Tony Sissons and the good finescalers from the Wirral there this year.

JIm

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:14 am

My train tickets are booked and I am looking forward to the event. Scotland, trains and an AGM - what more could anyone want! :D (Except perhaps a sunny weekend - Jim please note)

Terry Bendall

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 pm

The AGM in Linlithgow was a grand day out. Many thanks to those responsible for the organization and the entertainment.
James Dickie

My workbench

rule55

Postby rule55 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Wizard of the Moor wrote:The AGM in Linlithgow was a grand day out. Many thanks to those responsible for the organization and the entertainment.

I'll second that. Nice and friendly, plenty of inspiring modelling, an AGM (not unsurprising), and an entertaining talk on Haymarket depot and its inhabitants.

A big thank you from me also.

Tony

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 am

A super AGM event with some brilliant modelling on display. My only disappoinment was that delays on my journey up on the Sleeper train caused by flooding just north of Carlisle meant that Danny and I did not arrive until 1.30pm so my time to look at what was on display was limited. Of course it was English rain that caused the flooding!

Events such as these do not just happen - they need organisation and this of course was excellently done by our immediate past Chairman so thanks Jim and all the local members who provided the displays.

Terry Bendall

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

Did anyone take any pictures?

Return to “Exhibitions”