New Alex Jackson Jigs and components

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Tony W

New Alex Jackson Jigs and components

Postby Tony W » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Released this weekend at Scalefour North are three new etches to help modellers build and fit the Alex Jackson Coupling.
The first is the Turner Hook Bending Jig, named after its inventor, Graham Turner. This Jig enables the user to produce accurate Alex Jackson couplings every time. Used in conjunction with the 180°Jig mentioned previously the coupling has never been easier to build accurately and with consistency. Also on this etch is a Dropper Jig which makes light work of fitting the dropper vertically.
Hook Bending Jig Scalefour.jpg

The second etch enables the user to correctly fit a pivoted (hinged) version of the Coupling without the need for using hypodermic tubing or having to make mounting blocks. The hinged version of the coupling offers several advantages over the original fixed version in that it is adjustable in all directions, it is more positive in operation, it doesn’t require any form of centre gauge, and it is more robust. The pivot plate has been designed so that, when mounted, the coupling is on the centreline of the vehicle. This will aid vehicle stability on the track, particularly useful if the vehicles overall weight is inadequate. One etch provides enough components for 4 vehicles.
DSCF6723 Scalefour.jpg

Thirdly is a clever jig that enables the user to produce a right angled bend in the correct plane to enable a pivoted Alex Jackson coupling to be made. If this bend is made incorrectly the coupling is completely ruined. This jig enables the correct bend to be made every time.
DSCF6729 Scalefour.jpg

The cost of the Turner Bending Jig is £8, The Pivot Bending Jig is £7.50, and the Pivot and Mounting Blocks etch is £5 and can be purchased from http://www.palatinemodels.co.uk where further details can be found. Savings can be made by purchasing the alternative packages available - see the website.

The Alex Jackson coupling has been in existence in one form or another for around 60 years. It is without doubt the most indiscreet automatic coupling around, but to many its production has seemed more of a black art than a useful modelling device. Jigs are now available that enable the user to produce and fit couplings accurately and easily and hopefully they will enable a greater number of people to enjoy the delights of realistic shunting and marshalling of trains.

For those people wishing to learn more about the Coupling details can be found in the book 'Alex Jackson - the Man and the Coupling', available from the Scalefour Society . However, if you are in the Wakefield area over this weekend why not come along to Scalefour North where you can purchase the Book and the Jigs from Scalefour Stores. Thrown in for good measure is a talk on all this on each day by Dave Booth, the author of the book, and if you're still not sure what to purchase at the Stores, I'm in the same room on the Bring and Buy stand if you need any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony W

Re: New Alex Jackson Jigs and components

Postby Tony W » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Dont know how one photo has now been duplicated. I'm pretty sure it wasn't posted like that and this has now been confirmed by a third party. Shame you cant edit it. Such is life.

Tony

Andy C

Postby Andy C » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:12 pm

With jigs like these even Ludd (for that read myself) could be converted to the cause. :shock:

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 am

Andy C wrote:With jigs like these even Ludd (for that read myself) could be converted to the cause. :shock:

Come on Andy C, you know it makes sense. 8-) I can recommend a book which may help too. ;)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Dont know how one photo has now been duplicated. I'm pretty sure it wasn't posted like that and this has now been confirmed by a third party. Shame you cant edit it. Such is life

If you get problems like that please use 'Ask the Admin', that's why it's there, or just PM me direct. I don't monitor every topic.
You do have half an hour to edit it and your post is normally displayed to you as soon as you submit it.

In this case all three attachments were there but one had been put into the text (Place inline) twice, the other not at all.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:34 pm

All these jigs are now available to members through the Scalefour stores and will be made available to the wider community through our on-line ordering system in the next few days.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy C

Postby Andy C » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:53 am

davebooth wrote:
Andy C wrote:With jigs like these even Ludd (for that read myself) could be converted to the cause. :shock:

Come on Andy C, you know it makes sense. 8-) I can recommend a book which may help too. ;)

Why spend money on a book when i can just ask any one of 3 resident experts on the subject at Dean Hall on a monday evening - come on Dave as a resident of Yorkshire you should see the flaw in that suggestion ;)

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:21 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:All these jigs are now available to members through the Scalefour stores and will be made available to the wider community through our on-line ordering system in the next few days.
Regards

Keith,
The 'wider community' are already able to get them from http://www.palatinemodels.co.uk. The site also has full details on each of the jigs including how to make it and how to use it.

Regards
Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft
https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:40 pm

I know, I put the link up on our links page!
For stores matters I do what Jeremy asks, and I don't think all of the items are from Palatine.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Jeremy assures me that Palatine Models are fully up to speed with the Society Stores efforts to sell the items they produce!
And I can confirm that you are now able to order these jigs etc. with or without the book on-line, by credit card from the stores at http://www.scalefour.org/e-shop/publications.htm. This represents our first toe in the water for the e-commerce facilities and if successful I expect we shall extend it.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Come on Andy C, you know it makes sense. 8-) I can recommend a book which may help too. ;)[/quote]

Why spend money on a book when i can just ask any one of 3 resident experts on the subject at Dean Hall on a monday evening - come on Dave as a resident of Yorkshire you should see the flaw in that suggestion ;)[/quote]

Hey-up Andy, who said anything about buying :cry: a book?
My wording was that I could recommend one.
There are two copies in MMRS library curtacy of some one very close to my heart :D

Return to “Tools and Techniques”