MRJ Binders

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
David Thorpe

Re: MRJ Binders

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm pleased to say that the sample binder has arrived for approval. I'll load a dozen MRJs into it and take some photos tomorrow so you can all see it. It certainly looks quite good.

I've also had the final figures from Modern Bookbinders and am pleased to say that the cost to each of you will be £4.62 for each binder plus carriage at cost. Cheapest carriage I can find is currently £7.02 inc. VAT which I think will apply to all orders except Rod Newport. I'm also probably going to have to charge 35p for a box. If I find that it's cheaper to send the parcels by Royal Mail standard parcel service I will do so - I should be able to do the necessary calculations tomorrow.

DT

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm

I've now had a chance of having a look at the sample binder and loading it with 12 copies of MRJ, and I'm annexing four photos. I'm quite pleased with it. The colour is dark green - darker perhaps than appears in the first photo - and the magazines are held in quite tightly - the spine is 5cms wide. Because it's quite tight, loading the last three or four magazines is a little awkward but should prove no problem to anyone who's done any P4 modelling! I'm inclined to approve them as they are, but if anyone has any comments, now is the time to voice them. Over the next day or two I'll be sending PMs to everyone with payment details.

DT

mrj3.jpg

mrj2.jpg

mrj5.jpg

mrj4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Looks good to me.
When i have bought these in the dim and distant past, (for the Model Railway Constructor and Model Railways) they came with some matching rub down gold numbers so you could add the date, is there anything of that sort included?
Let us know when to send the funds.
Regards and Thanks
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Modern Bookbinders do gold year labels for every decade from the 1940s to present - see http://modernbookbinders.com/osc4/index ... 1c2u632842 . The main difficulty with these is that the binders hold more than a year of MRJs and also some people, eg me, might prefer to label them by issue number rather than date. I thought I might buy some gold number stickers from the stationer for mine, whileas anyone skilled at lining and lettering should have no problems with a gold pen! If anyone would like the decade labels offered by Modern Bookbinders I suggest that contact them personally.

Payment details should be in evryone's inboxes within the next 24 hours.

DT

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 am

DaveyTee wrote:I've now had a chance of having a look at the sample binder and loading it with 12 copies of MRJ, and I'm annexing four photos.

Looks excellent... The cheque is going in the post today!

Thanks very much for all of the organising. Now I'll have to find where I put the remains of the sheet of gold numbers that I used for the first set of binders, ten or twenty years ago!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Davey

You have a PM

regards
Trevor

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks everyone for moneys transferred (all arrived safely) and cheques sent or to be sent. I have therefore placed the order - delivery will be 4 to 5 weeks.

DT

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 am

Just thought I'd better mention that I have now received cheques or bank transfers from everyone - thank you very much. As soon as the binders come in, I'll start sending them out although I will ensure that I notify recipients before I dispatch their parcel. Everything will be going by courier for delivery during the week, so if anyone wants to nominate an alternative delivery address (and one or two of you have) because there will be no-one at home, please let me know.

DT

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 am

I have been told that the MRJ binders will be sent out to me not later than this coming Wednesday (28th). Bearing in mind that I work full time, I'd hope to be able to get them all off to their various recipients within a week of my receiving them.

DT

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 am

The binders were delivered to me this morning (Monday 2nd April). I hope to get them all out this week. They will go by courier, so if anyone wants theirs delivered to an address other than the one they've given me, eg because there will be no-one in during the day to receive them, please let me know asap!

DT

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for keeping us all up to date DT :)
Rod

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 am

Sorry everyone, but it seems that I forgot that this coming weekend is Easter, and as a result there will be no courier services, at least up here, over the holiday weekend. Also, work plans have been rather disrupted by waking up to 14 cms of snow this morning (and that's after 23º last week!). So as a result of all that, I'm afraid that you probably won't receive your binders now until next Wednesday 11th April. I hope that won't cause any problems.

DT

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:22 am

No problem to me, thanks for advice.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:18 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:No problem to me, thanks for advice.
Keith

Likewise - the efforts that you've put in are much appreciated, so a day or two here or there is hardly going to distress me.

Stay safe in the snow (you must be the one person that Daily mail article was targeting...) and enjoy some modelling!

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am

Mine have just arrived all present and correct, so many thanks to David for all his work on this.
Rod

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:32 pm

As a new S4 member I missed the boat on the initial order. The most helpful DT has been in touch with the supplier and the minimum order for a further batch of binders is 50.

Does anyone else have a need for more binders or are there others like me who missed this but would like some?

If so then please make yourself known!

I would most likely require 20 for myself.

If there is no further interest then I will most likely look to order 50 and sell on the ones I do not need.

Regards,

Alastair

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I did get asked on the Wild Swan stand at Ally pally a few weeks ago if anyone did binders, so I am sure they are still in demand, I am sure if you popped a post on RMWeb you would get a positive response too.

David

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Davey,

Binders safely arrived today.
They were well packed.

Many thanks.

Gordon A
Bristol

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Got mine today and spent a while filling them up to find out later I had one with the spine the wrong way up, so had to take the mags out and pop them in the right way round.

David

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:16 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Got mine today and spent a while filling them up to find out later I had one with the spine the wrong way up, so had to take the mags out and pop them in the right way round.

David

Been there, done that (some years ago now...), decided not to bother turning them around!

I've got a large box downstairs as well - must get around to opening it soon, but I've just been watching a biking mate of mine getting a telling off by a copper on BBC4 in a very countrified version of "Police, Camera, Action" :-)

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 am

Hurra,
a box of binders is here, now who wants to fit all those MRJ's in for me................

Well done Daveytee for the arranging ordering and shipping out of these, you are a gent.

Right, time to find something else to get out of filling them, ahh yes the day job

trebor

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm assuming that, with a couple of exceptions, everyone now has their binders. If they haven't yet arrived, please let me know. Silence will indicate that they have arrived!

DT

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 am

Having popped 214 MRJs in the binders I found out I had missed putting in No.76!!!! so spent ages taking them out and popping them in again.

Even though I have every MRJ since 0 I had another I resuced a another complete set that may have been skipped,so I will make sure the best condition mags go in the binders, within the resued set there are a few copies that I have 3-4 copies of so if you are missing a number that I have more than 2 copies of let me know and I could fill your missing numbers.

David

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm

AER_2263 wrote:As a new S4 member I missed the boat on the initial order. The most helpful DT has been in touch with the supplier and the minimum order for a further batch of binders is 50.

Does anyone else have a need for more binders or are there others like me who missed this but would like some?

If so then please make yourself known!

I would most likely require 20 for myself.

If there is no further interest then I will most likely look to order 50 and sell on the ones I do not need.

Regards,

Alastair

Well I would have another 5 off you and an additional 3 without the embossed title.

I miscalculated the plain binders I needed.

Regards

Alan

SHurst

Postby SHurst » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:25 am

If another "run" is being considered then I would be requiring 10 if possible ?

Regrds

Simon

Return to “New Products”