Bachman 3F tender loco.

steamraiser

Bachman 3F tender loco.

Postby steamraiser » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Having made an off the cuff purchase of a new Bachman 3F tender loco at Yate last Saturday:

Has any one converted a 3F tender loco (+ tender) to P4?

Does any one list an etched chassis for a 3F tender loco + tender?

Gordon A
Bristol

jjnewitt

Re: Bachman 3F tender loco.

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Mousa Models (Bill Bedford) list an etched chassis for a 3F. I have no idea how compatible it would be with the Bachmann model, it was designed to fit the old MPD kit. Might be worth a look though.
http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/loco/frames/lms_loco_frames4.html#mr-class-3f-0-6-0

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Haven't done a conversion yet, but I understand that this one has a non standard axle size (2.18mm, I ask you!) and bearings to fit in the cast frame, like Hornby. Colin Seymour is working on (has done?) a conversion set and Ultrascale have also done so, in this case a 'drop in' set with new bearings allowing the use of 2mm axles.

Why does a major manufacturer suddenly go for these crazy sizes? Have they just bought a job lot of 2.18mm steel axles, or gone back to imperial (0.086 in) for old times sake? Dapol have done it as well, with 3.8mm stub axles for the Beattie Well Tank!

Philip

Postby 45609 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Philip Hall wrote:Haven't done a conversion yet, but I understand that this one has a non standard axle size (2.18mm, I ask you!) and bearings to fit in the cast frame, like Hornby. Colin Seymour is working on (has done?) a conversion set and Ultrascale have also done so, in this case a 'drop in' set with new bearings allowing the use of 2mm axles.

Why does a major manufacturer suddenly go for these crazy sizes? Have they just bought a job lot of 2.18mm steel axles, or gone back to imperial (0.086 in) for old times sake? Dapol have done it as well, with 3.8mm stub axles for the Beattie Well Tank!

Most likely driven by random Chinese factors. I had one instance in my industry where the parts made did not conform to the gauge provided. Their solution was to modify the gauge until the parts conformed!!!

I've used a Bill Beford sprung 3F chassis underneath a London Road Models/George Norton etched body. For the Bachmann model I'd guess some height would need to be removed from the top of etched frames to account for the thick cast Zamac running plate.

Also the Lanarkshire Models and Supplies sprung Fowler tender chassis might be suitable.

Morgan

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:17 am

steamraiser wrote:Having made an off the cuff purchase of a new Bachman 3F tender loco at Yate last Saturday:

Has any one converted a 3F tender loco (+ tender) to P4?

Does any one list an etched chassis for a 3F tender loco + tender?

Gordon A
Bristol

Oi I thought you were in Poland this week!
If you had been able to visit Highbridge you would have seen my near complete Bill Bedford 3F CSB chassis. This has been built to go under ancient MPD etched body.
As my Bacchy LMS 3F just arrived I offered the chassis to the Bacchy body and it looks as if it will be an easy fit, altho' I haven't checked Morgan's point re height.
I am satisfied it is possible and will be ordering another BB kit to suit.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 pm

In case anyone asks, the London Road Models 3F chassis is not available separately. When it was originally designed for the George Norton Connoisseurs Choice range, the designer put some chassis component on the brass body etch. A complete chassis kit is not therefore practical as an individual item.

Jol

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Careful perusal of the latest Snooze (p24 in the S4N guide) would suggest that Brassmasters are intending to produce an Easi-Chas conversion for the 3F.

Would anyone at Brassmasters like to comment on timescales for availability? I would certainly be interested!

Geraint Hughes
Ely
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 pm

hughesp87 wrote:Would anyone at Brassmasters like to comment on timescales for availability? I would certainly be interested!

I would also be interested, although my London Road Models kit was a pleasure to build (in OO) a few years ago!
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:20 am

Dave Franks of Lanarkshire Model Supplies is talking about doiung chassis for the 3F and 4F tender locos, see seperate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1886

Gordon A
Bristol

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Whoops! Having said that the LRM chassis for the 3F isn't available separately, I got my wires crossed.

It is available, at £17.50 plus P&P. It was a couple of the other ex Geo. Noton locos I was confused with (I am allowed to be, at my age).

Of course, the chassis is designed for a loco with a .012" brass running plate, which may not suit the Bachmann plastic offering.

Funny that a reasonable etched kit for a loco has been on the market for so many years, yet people only seem to get interested in the prototype when a Chinese plastic model arrives. :o

Jol

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Yes, odd that....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”