Scaleforum I have known

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Tim V

Scaleforum I have known

Postby Tim V » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:11 am

One thing that has come about in the last ten years is the ease at which it possible to take decent pictures at exhibitions, with digital cameras. You only have to look at the retrospective to realise how good this has become.

But what about before?

The only pictures of the older Scaleforums are the rather poor renditions in the Snooze, plus any you may have taken mouldering in some shoe box.

So my challenge to you is to look in the shoebox and display some of your pictures. And also discuss them. And perhaps to comment on the layouts and their present whereabouts.

So here is a shot I took from the stage at Scaleforum 1988. The City University - for those who can't remember.
S4m - 1988-1.jpg

Behind me was Bodmin. Unfinished on the left is Kenton - which did impress me even in this state I remember. Behind Kenton is my layout "Whitchurch" - looks like Ray Hammond?, Nick Cann and Chris Longley are looking at something in the staging roads.

Whitchurch still exists but is officially "retired"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Re: Scaleforum I have known

Postby Tim V » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:53 am

At Scaleforum '87 was this quite nice model of Sandford and Banwell station. The group were about to scrap it they told me, and were running some funny stock on it - see in the background. That is one of my engines posed in the foreground - and can still be seen running today. I must have used flash - note the fall off in the right of the picture. So much easier today with digital - just rack up the ISO and no flash would have got a superior picture.
Sandford.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:50 am

Saw the reincarnation of Sandford and Banwell at the Uckfield show in October. A new layout with some of the old buildings. The same guys who did Dartley? I dunno, everyone's doing North Somerset now!!!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Well, 200 views and only one reply, but no pictures :!:

Here is Tibberton from the '89 Scaleforum. Present whereabouts unknown.
tibberton2.jpg

Tibberton1.jpg
Tim V

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Tim V wrote:Well, 200 views and only one reply, but no pictures :!:

Im sure people are busy cropping out 80s 'fashion' ware Tim ;).

I have a good excuse for not taking photos at this time - getting to London and photographing model trains had certain practical limitations at the age of 3 to 4...

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm

OK, so you've got an excuse :D

I hope that the 70s & 80s fashions aren't being cropped out - seeing members you know with hair and flares......
Tim V

mitzimoonbeam

Postby mitzimoonbeam » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi,
With regard to Tibberton, it resides in Graham Seeds loft in deepest Preston.
Phillip

Jo Palmer

Postby Jo Palmer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:35 pm

No photographs from me either - I was too busy serving the tea and coffee in those days.

iak

Postby iak » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 pm

1989... :o
That was the first one I went to "doon south..."
This thread could reveal some horrible memories you know :D
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Andy C

Postby Andy C » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Good grief theres a blast from the past, Tibberton. It was amongst the first layouts I booked when I became exhibition manager of Rochdale MRG, erm lets say a good few years ago. :D

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 pm

444 hits, and I'm still the only one to have posted a picture :!:
Here's Middle Peak wharf from 1988.
middlepeak.jpg
Tim V

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:19 pm

My goodness, Middlepeak Wharf in an unfinished state - are you sure this is at Scaleforum as I remember operating it there in a finished state at the City University venue. If I remember rightly it was also at the AGM that Geraint Hughes helped to organise in Ely earlier in the year. The layout was extended to include the top of the incline in 1995 and the whole then became Middlepeak.
The layout was withdrawn from the exhibition circuit in 2003 with it's last show at Manchester. The newer section of the layout has been incorported into a new permanent CHPR layout at Geraint's home in Ely.

Robin
Last edited by barrowroad on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:25 pm

A shame you've not more replies, Tim, but maybe not a lot of pictures were taken then? I took a camera (I think) when the Taw Vale last appeared (at the University) but when we moved I couldn't find the pictures so there's no chance now! The few pictures that appeared in the Snooze of the time were the only memento of those days.

Hope some more surface...

Philip

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

As archivist, I have in my possession a small brown envelope ...

This contains a series of glossy black & white photos of what I deduce to be from the Commonwealth Institute in 1979 - based on matching the photos of Chairman's Cup winners from contemporary information. They are not generally of layouts, mainly presentations, but there are several dodgy jumpers and hairstyles. Maybe a young Sara Lund was in attendance and was inspired.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner at the moment, but I could photograph them and put them up as jpgs. I know who many of the personalities are, but it would be fun to see how many can be identified.
Rod

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Philip Hall wrote:A shame you've not more replies, Tim, but maybe not a lot of pictures were taken then? I took a camera (I think) when the Taw Vale last appeared (at the University) but when we moved I couldn't find the pictures so there's no chance now! The few pictures that appeared in the Snooze of the time were the only memento of those days.
Hope some more surface...
Philip

As for the small brown envelope, sounds like some dodgy ones. Perhaps you should tout them around, anything worth money to not show - cheques gleefully accepted by our treasurer?

Definitely worrying that so few pictures were taken - maybe there is no need for an official photographer at Scaleforum - only joking and the post is I believe still vacant!

I believe this is Taw Vale at Scaleforum.
Taw.jpg
Tim V

David B

Postby David B » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Tim V wrote:
. . . maybe there is no need for an official photographer at Scaleforum - only joking and the post is I believe still vacant!

There is no vacancy, nor has there been one, for the S4um photographer. The vacancy was for someone to take over the compilation of the retrospectives. I am pleased to say that I have had a response to my advertisement and matters are nicely in hand. Details will follow later next month when all is concluded.

David

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Fascinating stuff. Are John and Gerry still with us?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:35 pm

I believe they are both no longer with us, however their stunning church and other artefacts are at Pendon
Tim V

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Tim V wrote:

I believe this is Taw Vale at Scaleforum.

Yes it is, and nice to be able to add it to a small collection. But I have no idea at all who is operating! Anyone got any ideas?

Philip

essdee

Postby essdee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Tim, guys 'n'gals,

There are, buried in the vast slide vaults here, some images back to 1980s of Scalefora (Mostly North, but also City Uni in 1988), and Railwells when Whitchurch appeared! And the nephews bought me a slide copier for last birthday, awaits proper use... Will get on the case when Festivities have been arm-wrestled out the way.

As to dodgy gear - perhaps there could be an award for the 'Best Checked (Flared) Suit' or such......and a retro Rogue's Gallery sounds fun?

More later - unless I receive the plain brown envelopes in advance.

Steve

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Afraid I was just 13 in 1988 and still yet to join the society (or even find out what P4 was/is!)

Strikes me that (ignoring the photography) layouts back then have a very different look to how they do now. I cant put my finger on what it is and I am sure at the time they looked like some of the most realistic layouts to be seen but now they look very much of their time. I wonder if any of our current ultra realistic layouts will look of their era too in 25 years or so?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 am

OK here's the first tranche from the Commonwealth Institute on 13 October 1979 - general shots and demos mostly. In those days it was just a one-day affair, and there were only two layouts present - Bodmin (!) and Otterburn. Bodmin was probably only in very early stage of development - it was three years before it reappeared at Scaleforum and nine before it won the inaugural Ken York Trophy at the City University in 1988. I don't have photos of either layout unfortunately.

These are photos of photos but they've come out not too bad - I know who many of the dramatis personae are, but I'm not labelling any so as to give you some pre-Christmas entertainment (and I'd be interested to have some others identified).

PC180039.JPG

PC180040.JPG

PC180041.JPG

PC180042.JPG

PC180043.JPG

PC180044.JPG

PC180045.JPG
Last edited by Rod Cameron on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:30 am

4th piccy down, delighted and curly John Palmer....lucky chap looked exactly the same this year!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:43 am

He's changed his glasses.....
Tim V

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Tim V wrote:He's changed his glasses.....

Still in use for speleological purposes, I think. The hair may still be there, Paul, but it's a LOT more grey!

I see Keith Hawkins seated to my left, and 'Bulldog' 43216 on the table, which had a good day out on New Mere at Railwells this year.

Sure that owl in pic. 6 is familiar...

Return to “Exhibitions”