GWR Hawksworth Coaches

Bulwell Hall

GWR Hawksworth Coaches

Postby Bulwell Hall » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Request for help!

I am presently upgrading one of the Hornby Hawksworth coaches. I have managed to remove the horrible printed curtains from the back of the windows using IPA - Iso Propyl Alchohol not India Pale Ale - which worked very well. However, when I came to replace the curtains, I cannot find out what colour they were! In all my references I can only find a vague reference to them being pale fawn colour. Can anybody please give a definitive colour for the curtains when the vehicles were brand new - I am doing a GWR liveried composite?

I look forward to hearing from somebody!

Gerry

Bulwell Hall

Re: GWR Hawksworth Coaches

Postby Bulwell Hall » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:15 am

In the absense of any definite information I eventually went for pale fawn curtains for my upgraded Hornby Hawksworth Corridor Composite. The attached photo shows the finished model. I used a Masokits kit to upgrade the brakegear and provide new gangways. I added some interior detail which consisted of painting the compartment parrtitions in cream and adding mirrors. It is defintely possible to see that there is something there but I probably wouldn't bother if I were doing a whole rake. Otherwise the GWR lettering was removed using T-Cut and replaced with a BR number and large class numerals on the doors from CPL and HMRS transfers. I am delighted with the result and would dearly love to see some Collett stock to the same standard in the future.

Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Well done - it looks really nice.
I have bought on in Crimson and Cream, so will follow your example. However, I think the cream colour of the crimson and cream looks too dark, so I suspect I am in for a partial repaint.

Ian

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Finished result looks very nice. Did you happen to take any pictures of the Masokits bits before use? I wanted to see how accurate they were compared to most of his range. I've got 5 of these for branch train sets and was lucky to find a couple 2nd hand in York for £14.

The dynamo was hanging off on a couple already just getting them out of the box so immediately needs a new support.

Repainting the roof on these coaches does help tone down Hornby's attempt at the panels which I wished they'd done away with, they've made it look like the panels are armour plate! I tried and failed to make a comet roof look reasonable in the past though so im grateful Hornby did these rather than Collett.

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 am

Hi Craig

Very sorry but I did'nt photograph the Masokits parts before I used them but they do look absolutely fine to me - the gangways are a massive improvement over Hornby's effort. The Masokit etch includes a fold up bracket for remounting the dynamo so Mike must have had the same experience as you.

As well as removing the horrible printed curtains I also removed the printed white backing to the lavatory window. Examination of a real Hawksworth coach at Didcot recently and photographs in my collection showed that the the lavatory windows on this stock had some sort of hammered glass. I used some material taken from an old plastic bank book wallet to overlay the rear of the window - a tip picked up from Alan Brackenborough - which looks rather more like it. The photos also reveal that the wash hand basin was visible though the obscured glass so I added a scrap of thick white Plasticard to give a representation of this through the glazing - it doesn't have taps and a plug hole though!

Painting the roof matt 'railway filth' colour does reduce the impression of the roof panels but I dont find these a problem. And as always weathering just brings the model to life. A very satisfactory result.

Gerry

iak

Postby iak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:34 am

Very tasty....
And very convincing; are the Masokits bits in need of the usual collection of Anglo-Saxon-isms? :)
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:59 pm

IANATEXTON wrote:I think the cream colour of the crimson and cream looks too dark, so I suspect I am in for a partial repaint.

Ian

This is a problem that seems to be common to all the Hornby crimson and cream models. It didn't seem too noticeable on the Hawksworth coach I bought, but the upper panels on a crimson and cream Hornby AEC railcar I bought look really yellow.

As Ian says, a partial repaint may be the only answer, although in the case of the Hawksworth I may try some judicious weathering instead.

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

The Masokits parts do not require any more Anglo-Saxon expletives than usual!

I also have a set of Hawksworths in BR crimson and cream livery - to one day form the Channel Islands Boat Express with a shiny 'Castle' on the front - and the cream looks fine to me. In the past Hornby seem to have used BR maroon for the two colour livery - as on the ex LMS stock - and oversprayed it in cream but this does not seem to be the case with the Hawkworths. In any case you only have to look at colour photos of the period to see how much the shades of both cream and crimson varied so one cannot be too pedantic about this - especially if they are to be weathered.

Gerry

Paul Hutfield

Postby Paul Hutfield » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 pm

That looks spot on Gerry! Would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a kit built coach! Look forward to having a closer look at some point!

Best Wishes

Paul

Postby 45609 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Hello Gerry,

The Glevum Area Group have found just the right locomotive to pull your coaches. Bulwell Hall no less! What a coincidence..... ;) We are just wondering how to get these out of gauge cylinders past Brinkley's platforms and back down to WR territory....any ideas?

See you later this week.......Morgan

P1080564_sm.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Morgan

She looks well after her 'heavy general' overhaul!

Bath Rd. will be sending a crew across to Barrow Rd. to collect her if you can get her there? She should be able to negotiate the Brinkley platforms at reduced speed but I really don't know what will happen when she comes across that LMS - or is it P4 - pointwork!! I look forward to matching her up with the Hawksworth stock.

Gerry

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”