MRJ 188

HighlandRailwayman

MRJ 188

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 am

Morning Gents (and Ladies too)

Does anyone have a copy of the fully sprung deltic article that appeared in MRJ 188 that they can let me have a look at? Am contemplating going down this route in the future and want to do a bit of re-search....

Failing that, i will look for a back issue.

Cheers.

Churchward

jjnewitt

Re: MRJ 188

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:07 pm

I would thoroughly recomend that particular article. I was quite happy just building steam locos until I read it! Back issues of MRJ are easy enough to find http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/wildswan/modelrailwayjournal188.html for example. I frequently go back to mine. The bogies are reasonably straight forward to construct and you don't have to go to quite the extent that Chris Pendleton did. I have built bogies for a bachmann class 37, Bachmann Warship and Heljan Hymek and all of them use an inner sub frame onto which the hornblocks and primary steel wire springs are fixed. Give it a go, it's strangely enjoyable! I'd probably start with a two axle bogie rather than one with three though. This is worth looking through as well http://www.clag.org.uk/beam-annex2.html. I will get round to starting a thread on my adventures in this field at some point soon. It may be of interest.

Have fun! :D

Justin.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I will get round to starting a thread on my adventures in this field at some point soon. It may be of interest.
It certainly will, some of these are on my 'todo' list, although not yet very near the top.
Yours may well give me some encouragement.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

HighlandRailwayman

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:05 am

I look forward to reading that thread with interest.
Many thanks for the encouragement, i shall certainly give it a go as time dictates! (why does wedding planning have to take up so much valuable modelling time???)
Thanks for the link, i shall have some interesting lunchtime reading with that.
Regards,
Churchward

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:42 am

jjnewitt wrote:I would thoroughly recomend that particular article. I was quite happy just building steam locos until I read it! Back issues of MRJ are easy enough to find http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/wildswan/modelrailwayjournal188.html for example.

Or just find an exhibition where the Wild Swan book stand is attending.

They have a huge assortment of back-numbers for sale, including some going back to the very early editions.

Highly recommended as a "one-stop" whether you're completing or just starting your collection of MRJs.

HTH,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”