JJNewitt's Wonderful World of Wagons - Anchor Mount Tanks

Noel

Re: JJNewitt's Wonderful World of Wagons - Anchor Mont Tank Wagon

Postby Noel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 pm

jjnewitt wrote:I though that the point of RCH specifications was to lay down what the standard should be from that point forward? If so why they be able to pick and choose the type of underframe? I can certainly understand it taking a long time to get everyone using the new design as the various works would need to have recieved copies of it. Presumably the works would use the drawings it had if someone ordered more of something and if they hadn't been updated then the wagons would get the old type underframe?

I don't know, Justin, but a number of factors may be involved:

Issuing the paperwork for new designs was probably quite easy, but manufacturers must always have been given some leeway over how fast they introduced them, to allow for making or obtaining new tooling, etc. There is apparently some evidence from earlier changes that alterations were not always introduced all at once even by the same manufacturer, with interim versions existing. In wartime, with its emphasis on maintaining production at virtually any cost, this process is likely to have been extended. [In the early years of the war this is very evident with aircraft, with designs known to be obsolete continuing in production on the grounds that obsolete aircraft were better than none at all.]

Steel wagon underframes were precision items, built on jigs. Obtaining or making new jigs would be time consuming, and not necessarily straightforward, in view of other wartime demands, especially early in the war. Many companies involved in engineering took on war work, reducing the number of staff available for their normal work.

Some male staff would have been replaced by women; training them would have taken time, so making other alterations at the same time might have been avoided where possible. New trained staff to expand production would have been scarce or non-existent. Any change from riveting to welding would have required less staff eventually, but increased the training time required.
Noel

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Looks like the issue was discussed in letters to MRJ, but In don't know when. Here are a couple of examples. One is not in a sealed boiler so in that case at least gas that can't get out isn't the issue
http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2737
http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/ ... g-pva.html

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:50 pm

PeteT wrote:I think there are 2 possible glue issues - one is expansion, but I think the PVA/cyno issue is a gas which is produced over time. If the tank was sealed then this would build up and force its way out, but if a hole is left in the bottom it shouldnt cause an issue. I am no chemist though, so I will probably stand corrected!

PVA on lead does, in time, produce a chemical reaction , the product of which is significantly larger that it components. Don't do it.

Not sure I fancy cyanoacrylates either, I doubt you will get enough gas given off to bother the tank, however I do wonder if
1. you'll get enough in to coat all the bits you want to stick, over doing it won't help either see 3 below.
2. how you can ensure the load is evenly distributed after you imtoduce the glue and before it sets
or alternatively
3. if it will take a long time to go off. These glues go off in the presence of water (in this country, the dampness from air is usually, but not always, sufficient) and the absence of air. What ever else happens I doubt the condition's inside the tank will be optimal, I presume set will occur with time, but how soon is an interesting question. Could be significantly delayed.

If anybody does try Cyno for this job, I for one, would be interested to know how they get on.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Modelling time is a bit limited at the moment with an 11 month old daughter around the house but there has been sufficent time recently for a brief swim into the murky waters where engineering wagons reside...

Workbench Grampus.JPG

The usual Parkside body and my etched bits and castings combination with Lanarkshire Models buffers.

Justin

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Very nice Justin
did you get my message?
Andrew

iak

Postby iak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:27 am

Whooosh :thumb
Seconded most vigorously...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Looking lovely Justin!

One thing that may be of interest to others (though a tad modern for me!) is the Kernow Turbots that I've only just seen reference to.

Being built on bogie bolster E underframes there is presumably a fair few details ready to go upon their release.

ginger61

Postby ginger61 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Brilliant piece of modelling re the Grampus Wagon, :thumb Can you tell us lesser mortals what the under pinnings you use to produce such a model? I'm in the market for such an under frame!!!
Thanks in advance,
Nick.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:10 am

ginger61 wrote:Brilliant piece of modelling re the Grampus Wagon, :thumb Can you tell us lesser mortals what the under pinnings you use to produce such a model? I'm in the market for such an under frame!!!

Thanks Nick. The underframe is my own etch and those that are currently available can be found via Rumney Models. The Grampus will be along very soon.

PeteT wrote:One thing that may be of interest to others (though a tad modern for me!) is the Kernow Turbots that I've only just seen reference to.
Being built on bogie bolster E underframes there is presumably a fair few details ready to go upon their release.

Cheers Pete. The Bogie Bolster E detailing etch should be useful for the Kernow Turbots depending on how they've done the underframe. Jim Smith-Wright had a similar idea with the Cambrian kit which turned out very well and is definately a route worth looking at for a finscale Turbot.

Justin

jjnewitt

Re: JJNewitt's Wonderful World of Wagons - Anchor Mount Tanks

Postby jjnewitt » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:22 am

With a young daughter, Rumney Models to look after and commission work to be done there hasn't been much time for modelling for myself. A couple of things that I have been playing with though are bodies for a couple of anchor mounted tank wagons. I've never been convinced by the Bachmann body as a 14T class A or 20T class B (both 7'3" diameter tanks), always thinking that it looked a bit small, which it is. With some Air Ministry and other tank wagons in the pipeline, all with proper sized tanks, I didn't think that Bachmann body would sit well with them and so have been putting together a 14T class B (6'7" diameter tank) and 20T class B (7'3" diameter tank) wagon.

It's interesting to get a proper visual comparison between my two and the Bachmann model, which is pretty good for a 14T class B but doesn't really convince for most of the liveries it's been released in so far.

Anchor Mount Tank Comparison (1).JPG

Anchor Mount Tank Comparison (2).JPG

Justin

Return to “jjnewitt”